Search
Like Tree24Likes

do you feel safe at a track??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 02:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xpress..
There is no battery that requires any sort of charge rate, charge rates are entirely up to the end user. All I am saying is that if a battery manufacturer claims a max charge rate then it is entirely safe to assume that the battery will more than likely not erupt at that rate any more than it would at a lower rate.

FYI, my ThunderPower 6s 5000 packs were rated to handle a 60amp charge rate (12C) max and I did so every charge for well over 200 cycles with no noted decrease in pack performance.
Not a safe assumption. Higher rates will always have higher risk, even if it's within the rating. They've calculated a charge rate that fits within a safety margin they've deemed acceptable.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

1 does not make a list graphene pak is not a lipo pak..

xpress what charger did you charge those 6 cells paks.with 60 amps.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
Samsung Note 7 !?
Originally Posted by chuck_thehammer
different animal... different charger.
you missed ...

what company sells a charger for a Samsung Note 7 that will produce more then 5 amps.... into a note 7.

I am sure the PORT on a Note 7 is very limited ..
Old 02-26-2018, 03:09 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by chuck_thehammer
I am sure the PORT on a Note 7 is very limited ..
True, but that is why high voltage charge adapters are introduced for quickcharging.

The phone will do a 2amp normal charging from any 5v charging adapter. But the quickcharge protocol sends some info to the charger so it can switch to 9 or even 12volt (if it is capable to do so). The high voltage will be lowered in the phone with a switching power supply to convert all the power to a higher charging current keeping the 2A max on the micro USB port.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:14 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Roelof
True, but that is why high voltage charge adapters are introduced for quickcharging.

The phone will do a 2amp normal charging from any 5v charging adapter. But the quickcharge protocol sends some info to the charger so it can switch to 9 or even 12volt (if it is capable to do so). The high voltage will be lowered in the phone with a switching power supply to convert all the power to a higher charging current keeping the 2A max on the micro USB port.
All true. Though the Note 7 had a tendency to explode regardless of whether it was charging or not.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:30 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
All true. Though the Note 7 had a tendency to explode regardless of whether it was charging or not.
Here is some more info on the Note 7 failures.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 204 (100%+)

I wonder how many people went and bought the Note 7 phones after the issues they had, same with high charge rates as I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I would be super pissed if I had to spend weeks cleaning my stuff because some guy was charging at a stupid rate and had a fire as if he thought it was good, as one of my racing buddies will charge at 15 amps and even then I questioned him on it as no clear reason as to why, so if you race around me or my family and want to charge at high rates, you will get talked with, and chances are very likely YOU will NOT pit by me.

As I have a bumper sticker on my van " I hate stupid people " and this applies to this safety at the track, this is just my opinion on this topic, Been racing tooooooo many years to have a serious issue at the tracks.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:58 PM
Tech Lord

What has happened with the Note 7 can also happen with our batteries. The cells are also tight in the hard case and do swallow what can cause a wrong pressure on the cells.

Charging (and discharging) on high currents is giving heat can be a higher risk than charging on a lower current.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Wow... You guys are scaring me...lol... I'm not an electric racer ...yet...

Pass you soon...
Old 02-28-2018, 08:28 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by lil-bump
Wow... You guys are scaring me...lol... I'm not an electric racer ...yet...

Pass you soon...
It is not about scaring but some people do think too light about prevention.

It is not about all those moments it goes without an issue but only that one moment it can go wrong. An exploding LiPo and its fire is heavy so thats why always a good LiPo bag to charge, discharge and store.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

had a 3 cell 3200mah 35 c battery go up in my mini 8 when the esc stuck wide open..couldn't get the body off face enough.. swell hisss.smoke n flames in under 8 seconds.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:06 PM
Tech Addict

- Charging at higher amps, overall does not take more power. It will take more amps, over a shorter time.

- Of course charging over 10 amps is not as safe as 10 amps. charging at 9 amps would be safer than 10 amps. But then again, charging at 8 amps would be even safer?

Would like to see more facts, or maybe ROAR rules nationwide.

For me, if someone is charging at high enough amps, to lower resistance, in my stock racing class, I may do it also.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:07 PM
Tech Addict

I was expecting this thread to be about indoor racing, 4x4 short course with massive power. Corner marshes tend to pay more attention, when we come out to race.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:21 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sea1swk
- Charging at higher amps, overall does not take more power. It will take more amps, over a shorter time.
Yes it does. You're confusing energy vs power. Power is energy per unit of time, thus if you charge in less time you're using more power.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkgenerals
400 watts at 12 v isn't the same as 400 watts at 120 volts.
I think you mean the current draw is vastly different for 400 watts at 12 volts and 400 watt at 120 volts? 400 watts is 400 watts no matter the voltage and current used to get there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.