Search
Like Tree24Likes

do you feel safe at a track??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 12:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkgenerals
400 watts at 12 v isn't the same as 400 watts at 120 volts.

A 700 watt power supply at full tilt is only pulling 10 amps on the mains cable. Plus at big events your going to have waves of people charging, not everyone all at the same time.

Roelof your lucky in Europe with 220, your going to be pulling about half the amaprage us poor Americans have to pull. So our 700 watt ups would be about 5 amps at the mains.
"Only" 10A on the mains cable? Typically North American mains are usually only rated for 12A-15A or around 1400W-1800W. I factored in the AC vs DC current ratings when I made my initial post.

Also, your math seems off. 700W on 220V is about 3A, and on 120V is close to 6A.

Last edited by gigaplex; 02-25-2018 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:14 PM
Tech Lord

On a Dutch RC forum there was once a talk about a report from the fire brigate why it was difficult to fight a fire of a car. After an investigation they find out the hybrid powered car had lithium batteries and the fire brigade did not had the right stuf to get it out. They concluded there was not enough information about lithium fires.....
Old 02-25-2018, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

10 plus years of production.. and the number of major Fires caused by burning lipo..?
personally I know of ONE... an it was 10 years ago...
except for the lost of the battery and a burn spot on the table ( indoors )....
8T likes this.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:56 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by chuck_thehammer
10 plus years of production.. and the number of major Fires caused by burning lipo..?
We've had a few lately in Australia. At least one of them involved some significant property damage (either house or garage, don't recall).
Old 02-26-2018, 02:31 AM
Tech Lord

Samsung Note 7 !?
Old 02-26-2018, 02:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by peter george
Tracks sometimes have limits and rules but u can't stand over people's head and police everybody. At some point you gotta trust that people will be smart enough to do the right thing but there's always exceptions . Those who do break the rules and get cought should get a time out from track the first time and banned after that. There is no good reason to create fires with unhealthy fumes for the rest of us to breath in and disrupt our day off playing with our toy race cars .
track workers do patrol the pits in many locations I race in regularly.. if they see you go hitting button on there way to you . Your outa there NO bull hit the door BYE.. 70 amp OK..lol
Larrys RC had 3 in 2 months the enacted Rules not more than 2 C charge rates.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:10 AM
Tech Lord

For sure the guys who switch their charger(s) off when not using them are the ones to keep in sight.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
Samsung Note 7 !?
different animal... different charger.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:57 PM
Tech Adept

Why would a 40 amp charge rate be considered dangerous? The battery manufacturer sets the recommended max charge rates that are safe for the pack so as long as 40 amps is within that range then there's no real danger outside of the inherent danger of LiPo packs in the first place.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Xpress..
Why would a 40 amp charge rate be considered dangerous? The battery manufacturer sets the recommended max charge rates that are safe for the pack so as long as 40 amps is within that range then there's no real danger outside of the inherent danger of LiPo packs in the first place.
A list of LIPOs that require a 40 amp charge rate. that are 4900mah?
Old 02-26-2018, 01:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Xpress..
Even the high current lipo packs such as Protek that advertise being capable of 10C charge rates recommend sticking to 1C. 40A is a lot of current for such small batteries.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:24 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the rc guy
Here is one. Actually that pack is good for a 10C charge, which means you can safely charge it at 49 amps. I use their 3600mah pack and charge it at 36 amps with no problems.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:30 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Even the high current lipo packs such as Protek that advertise being capable of 10C charge rates recommend sticking to 1C. 40A is a lot of current for such small batteries.
Yeah, they recommend the 1 C charge rate for longest pack life. People that get into high current cycling know that it decreases pack life. The performance gains are worth it to some. Whether all those people can actually translate the performance increase into faster lap times is another thing entirely.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:01 PM
Tech Lord

different animal... different charger.
You think? It is a same type of battery at a normal charge rate. OK, the cause is a simple swallow of the pack hitting a sharp edge on the inside of the phone.

On that Protek battery that can handle 10C charge:

Continuous Discharge 100C (490A)
4 or even 5mm connectors are not able to withstand such a high current. Even the soldering inside the pack as the small aluminium solder tabs will burn through at 490 amp.

So you do trust the 10C charging rate with a mentioned 100C countinious(!!!!) discharge rate.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by the rc guy
There is no battery that requires any sort of charge rate, charge rates are entirely up to the end user. All I am saying is that if a battery manufacturer claims a max charge rate then it is entirely safe to assume that the battery will more than likely not erupt at that rate any more than it would at a lower rate.

FYI, my ThunderPower 6s 5000 packs were rated to handle a 60amp charge rate (12C) max and I did so every charge for well over 200 cycles with no noted decrease in pack performance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.