Search
Like Tree42Likes

A Dying Hobby

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 08:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Flagler
"when the buggies took over"

Hate to say it, but that is the premier class of 1/10 offroad and always has been. SCTs are class killers and did their best to wipe out buggies a few years ago, but the buggies are back where they belong. Driving a SCT, especially 2wd, does nothing for your driving skills. Strap into a 2wd buggy for an immediate report card of how good you are.

are you kidding me? no class has brought more people into rc then sct!!!
it's still going strong in northern ohio where my outdoor track has
a full class of 4x4 sct every week 2wd can be hit or miss. 1/10 4x4
buggy is a bigger class than 2wd buggy.

depends where you live winter time indoors 1/10 buggy is big.

e-buggy and truggy are also popular here.
bigger races you will even see a class of nitro buggy.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:50 AM
Tech Initiate

THERE ARE SEVERAL REASONS WHY OUR HOBBY IS STRUGGLING, AND ITS NO SECRET PRICES FOR THESE R/CS CAN GET SKY HIGH, FOR A NEW XMAXX WITH CHARGER AND BATTERIES YOUR LOOKING AT A GRAND, SOME PEOPLE WITH LOW BUDGET INCOMES CANT AFFORD IT EVEN THOUGH THEY WISH THEY COULD. BUT YOU CAN BUY A HOOPTIE GROCERY GETTER CAR FOR A $1000, SO PRICES PLAY A PART IN IT TOO. I CANT EVEN BEGIN TO ADD UP HOW MUCH I HAVE INVESTED IN JUST ONE OF MY CARS. I WISH PRICES WAS CHEAPER ON SOME THINGS BUT THEN WHAT, THE COMPANIES WHO MANUFACTURE WOULD CRUMBLE, IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME. LOOK AT HOW RIPMAXX BOUGHT HPI. THESE COMPANIES JUST ARENT MAKING ENOUGH TO STAY ALIVE. ITS LIKE ALMOST A NO WIN SITUATION.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Do it...
Attached Thumbnails A Dying Hobby-capslock.png  
Old 08-18-2016, 12:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Megatron1
THERE ARE SEVERAL REASONS WHY OUR HOBBY IS STRUGGLING, AND ITS NO SECRET PRICES FOR THESE R/CS CAN GET SKY HIGH, FOR A NEW XMAXX WITH CHARGER AND BATTERIES YOUR LOOKING AT A GRAND, SOME PEOPLE WITH LOW BUDGET INCOMES CANT AFFORD IT EVEN THOUGH THEY WISH THEY COULD. BUT YOU CAN BUY A HOOPTIE GROCERY GETTER CAR FOR A $1000, SO PRICES PLAY A PART IN IT TOO. I CANT EVEN BEGIN TO ADD UP HOW MUCH I HAVE INVESTED IN JUST ONE OF MY CARS. I WISH PRICES WAS CHEAPER ON SOME THINGS BUT THEN WHAT, THE COMPANIES WHO MANUFACTURE WOULD CRUMBLE, IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME. LOOK AT HOW RIPMAXX BOUGHT HPI. THESE COMPANIES JUST ARENT MAKING ENOUGH TO STAY ALIVE. ITS LIKE ALMOST A NO WIN SITUATION.
Yes ,I see a lot of that! This hobby should be more about the hobby & sport ,
not about price gouging on over rated products!...

That only kills the hobby for people!...100 % agree!...
Old 08-18-2016, 12:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

I have a good feeling that Traxxas makes a butt ton of money. It's all about appealing to the right customers. It's unfair to compare HPI to Traxxas in that aspect. HPI had a lot of things not go well...probably some mis-management.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:37 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by nexxus
Club racing is dying here, particularly off road, what was a fun environment is now over-run by sponsored / paid drivers who have systematically infected the pit area like a plague of starved locusts, and with that come the lemmings who buy what Mr fancy T-Shirt says and the bullying that is directed at any voice not towing the line of these drivers and the powers that sit behind them lining their pockets.
You nailed it and it fits exactly to this.

Originally Posted by Megatron1
THERE ARE SEVERAL REASONS WHY OUR HOBBY IS STRUGGLING, AND ITS NO SECRET PRICES FOR THESE R/CS CAN GET SKY HIGH
As mentioned the big guys have many folowers who buy and do exactly the same as the big guy. If that means to replace gears and belts every 5 minutes they will do it. If these copycats think they can drive the same results as the top guy then go ahead. There is ony one difference... The top guy has sponsored parts to replace, the copycats have to buy them.

Doing this sport/hobby with common sense makes it much more affordable with still the same results.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof
You nailed it and it fits exactly to this.

As mentioned the big guys have many folowers who buy and do exactly the same as the big guy. If that means to replace gears and belts every 5 minutes they will do it. If these copycats think they can drive the same results as the top guy then go ahead. There is ony one difference... The top guy has sponsored parts to replace, the copycats have to buy them.

Doing this sport/hobby with common sense makes it much more affordable with still the same results.
Same result as what.....surely a young kid starting off in the rc world doesn't need a $ 600 to a $ 1000.00 dollar competition 80 mph racing machine
with an engine that cost 1/2 of what the car cost!

The higher company's aren't focused on the younger gen's in that aspect an
its creating friction within the future kids that want to get into the hobby.

To me ,its biting themselves in the a$$ ,because its actually detouring
lower end families not to let their kids have that experience because it
cost too much.

People complain about clones an cheaper quality stuff an don't want to
see the real facts of why its like that!...

America needs to step up!...
Old 08-18-2016, 02:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Its simple economics. When people have disposable income to burn they use that money for something they enjoy. The first thing to go when there is no disposable income is a hobby.

If you think this hobby is dying i think you're living in your own little bubble and may want to get out and take a look around.

From when i started in the mid seventies the hobby has evolved greatly and the actual costs have stayed proportionally to the rate of inflation. If you raced in the late eighties into the nineties the costs are far less in electric racing now than they used to be. It used to be a niche, rich mans hobby but has definitely become more main stream then ever. How can Traxxas afford to spend the kind of money on advertising like they do if there wasn't a source of income?

We are lucky here in the Austin, Texas area because we have an old school racer who understands and enjoys the sport and has spent a lot of his own money to create a special facility that is second to none anywhere in the world. If everyone involved in RC Off Road could have a track like we do i think you would change your mind about the health of the hobby. If you build it and do it right, the people will show up,
Old 08-18-2016, 03:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Pville Stig
Its simple economics. When people have disposable income to burn they use that money for something they enjoy. The first thing to go when there is no disposable income is a hobby.

If you think this hobby is dying i think you're living in your own little bubble and may want to get out and take a look around.

From when i started in the mid seventies the hobby has evolved greatly and the actual costs have stayed proportionally to the rate of inflation. If you raced in the late eighties into the nineties the costs are far less in electric racing now than they used to be. It used to be a niche, rich mans hobby but has definitely become more main stream then ever. How can Traxxas afford to spend the kind of money on advertising like they do if there wasn't a source of income?

We are lucky here in the Austin, Texas area because we have an old school racer who understands and enjoys the sport and has spent a lot of his own money to create a special facility that is second to none anywhere in the world. If everyone involved in RC Off Road could have a track like we do i think you would change your mind about the health of the hobby. If you build it and do it right, the people will show up,
I'm sorry ,I do see you point ,I do live in a bubble ,California!...
Old 08-18-2016, 06:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by floyd2810
are you kidding me? no class has brought more people into rc then sct!!!
it's still going strong in northern ohio where my outdoor track has
a full class of 4x4 sct every week 2wd can be hit or miss. 1/10 4x4
buggy is a bigger class than 2wd buggy.

depends where you live winter time indoors 1/10 buggy is big.

e-buggy and truggy are also popular here.
bigger races you will even see a class of nitro buggy.
Hmmm. Used to live in your neck of the woods. SCT is still going good, that's great. My SCT 4x4 hasn't moved in over a year. Everybody out here has moved to 1/8 buggy. I have an ebuggy and a nitro. I miss running sct but there is a weekend race in Red Deer this weekend and I think there are 3 4x4 entered. It's just too much to run 3 cars. Keep it going
Old 08-18-2016, 06:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

We lost an indoor track... carpet off-road. Most fun I've had in RC for a long time. I think the track was lost, not because of interest/participation, but for lack of management. I think that's true more broadly speaking. Its a big undertaking to develop a track... not anyone can do it.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

In conclusion, dying, nah. finding its level I think is more realistic
Old 08-19-2016, 11:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pville Stig

is that Thornhill?
Old 08-19-2016, 09:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by buster8787
Hmmm. Used to live in your neck of the woods. SCT is still going good, that's great. My SCT 4x4 hasn't moved in over a year. Everybody out here has moved to 1/8 buggy. I have an ebuggy and a nitro. I miss running sct but there is a weekend race in Red Deer this weekend and I think there are 3 4x4 entered. It's just too much to run 3 cars. Keep it going

hey buster8787, did you run at medina?
1/8 buggy is the biggest class here outdoors too.

haha, summer is only so long you gotta enjoy it!!
i run 3 class alot 4x4 corr, 1/8 buggy and truggy.
sometimes i'll run 2wd corr or 1/10 4x4 buggy.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by floyd2810
hey buster8787, did you run at medina?
1/8 buggy is the biggest class here outdoors too.

haha, summer is only so long you gotta enjoy it!!
i run 3 class alot 4x4 corr, 1/8 buggy and truggy.
sometimes i'll run 2wd corr or 1/10 4x4 buggy.
No, only drag raced at Norwalk many times. Never raced rc in Ohio. Ran mostly Michigan and Ontario. I run ebuggy and nitro buggy and have my SCT in a storage bin. It hasn't moved in about a year. There are a some pretty serious racers out here and get my butt handed to me regularly. Ty Tessman showed up here and thrashed everyone last month. I think he finished about 9 laps in front of me in 15 min heat.
Check out our track at RC Gears on that tube site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.