Search
Like Tree42Likes

A Dying Hobby

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nercracer
wow, what memories..i made the trek up to red barn village from staten island back in probably 86 or 87 with my brand new rc10...had the excitement and anticipation of racing...i recall the large turnout for that race...the color ribbons on our antennas for lap counting...and of course, the fun we had regardless of how we did...

as i travel the country, i do have the privilege of seeing other tracks. the one constant that i do see with the long lasting clubs is that they are sited on public park land( ie: little league complexes like thunder alley and state parkland like dirtrunners in nj) these clubs have survived the years due to low cost and very high volunteer participation. yes, greed has ruined more than one club, i even know of one like that around here.

i have full respect for the ones that create a business for themselves with an indoor facility that we all get to race at. As a racer, we do not see the background and anguish of not being able to pay the rent or expenses when either the warm weather hits or competing local tracks just put trophy race upon trophy race on top of each others schedule. when i see the success of the west coast series like JBRL, Top Notch and the newly formed CTS, i can only speculate that the tracks attached to series like that will survive the economics attached to our hobby. even a manufacturer like jconcepts has put the effort into a race series in florida that shows much success for the tracks that participate in them.

club racing is, or was, the core of this hobby and it is definitely struggling. the efforts of some tracks adding weeknight races with one round of qualifying and mains is a welcome addition for those of us who have to actually get up the next morning for work..

so is the hobby dying? the answer is no...its evolving once again.....someone speaking to my industry made a solid point that we as individuals really do not like change....but change is good...

so lets put the keyboards down and go out and race......
Some great memories there, I raced a gold pan there myself and still have it. Sorry Socket, didn't mean to get all reminiscing on you, but you will be here before you know it.
I agree, tracks need allot of good maintenance to survive, and change is a good thing. Back in late 90's and early 00, a track would run one layout the entire season. I'm north so meaning the entire Summer Season. We didn't know any difference and never complained. Today, my home track changes their layout every three to four races if not less. It's all due to the dedication of the club. The track is privately owned, but would be nothing without that crew of guys that commit to that track. It shows and it draws racers. This past Sunday I was eating my words, they had 110 entries for a club race.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:47 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Roadburn
Some great memories there, I raced a gold pan there myself and still have it. Sorry Socket, didn't mean to get all reminiscing on you, but you will be here before you know it.
I agree, tracks need allot of good maintenance to survive, and change is a good thing. Back in late 90's and early 00, a track would run one layout the entire season. I'm north so meaning the entire Summer Season. We didn't know any difference and never complained. Today, my home track changes their layout every three to four races if not less. It's all due to the dedication of the club. The track is privately owned, but would be nothing without that crew of guys that commit to that track. It shows and it draws racers. This past Sunday I was eating my words, they had 110 entries for a club race.

I was there racing E-Buggy on Sunday man I wish the other tracks I go to can get that kind of turnout . Best they get is 7 to 10 that's a good turnout but the past Saturday's weather wise has been crap looks the same again
Old 08-09-2016, 01:15 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roadburn
In the late 90's, we'd get a new layout every 3 months or points series to keep it fresh. I'm not an 80's racer, but the 90's were huge to me.

You're exactly right, good track management and 110 entries a week is easy. You track proves as does several others.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket
In the late 90's, we'd get a new layout every 3 months or points series to keep it fresh. I'm not an 80's racer, but the 90's were huge to me.

You're exactly right, good track management and 110 entries a week is easy. You track proves as does several others.
I think Club racing should be encouraged, to include racing older platforms etc. For example years ago in Germany we could run the 235mm cars with the 1/8 cars (Serpent Vectors and Impacts etc.) Granted it made for better racing as regardless, times were split, so the 1/10 guys did not have to feel they were racing the 1/8 guys and vice versa. Also in Off road it was common to see 2wd cars such as the Mantua Demon, racing with Kyosho Vannings etc.

It would be nice to see the Hobby shops and tracks open track days for "Run what you Brung" Let the Revo's run with the Truggies, let the Stadium trucks run with the SC trucks, combine 2wd and 4wd buggies etc.

Seeing more vehicles on the track is always a good thing, and combining groups could make it more fun first and foremost. When I run 2wd 1:8 Pan, the 4wd guys don't hassle me, same with my 200mm foam F1 mixing it up with the WGT/Euro GT cars.

Now a days there is more stress from having to run the latest and greatest vs. having fun!
Old 08-09-2016, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rannblod
As long as outside exist I will always have a track..parks,parking lots,random fields,I was super bummed when some of the local tracks closed down One Hobbies,W3 and even more bummed when the buggys took overNothing like a track full of sct,s mobbing around the track I have not been to srs yet nor sure what the sct scene is.
"when the buggies took over"

Hate to say it, but that is the premier class of 1/10 offroad and always has been. SCTs are class killers and did their best to wipe out buggies a few years ago, but the buggies are back where they belong. Driving a SCT, especially 2wd, does nothing for your driving skills. Strap into a 2wd buggy for an immediate report card of how good you are.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flagler
"when the buggies took over"

Hate to say it, but that is the premier class of 1/10 offroad and always has been. SCTs are class killers and did their best to wipe out buggies a few years ago, but the buggies are back where they belong. Driving a SCT, especially 2wd, does nothing for your driving skills. Strap into a 2wd buggy for an immediate report card of how good you are.
I happen to own a very nice b5 it makes a perfect paper weight for my report card
Old 08-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

I know some have already said "too many classes". I think this is true judging by the way some say that ebuggy is dying or whatever. It seems that in every pocket, some class is dying. Here in Alberta, 4x4 sct is dying, but 1/10 2wd buggy is roaring . I've never even seen a 1/10 4x4 buggy. In southern Michigan, last I saw (correct me if i'm wrong)nitro was weak and 2wd and 4wd 1/10 are strong. It just depends where u are, one class seems to be weak or nonexistent.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Seems like RC is a healthy hobby if judging by the money made globally on it. Probably much more than many other hobbies.

What concerns me more is the younger generation not growing up w/ RC cars like many of us did. Kids, including my own are more interested in video games than RC cars. They'd rather race virtually than in real life. When I was a kid video games were not that realistic and not very good, -most kids still spent the majority of their time doing "real" things, not living in a virtual world.

With the advent of virtual reality goggles and ever more realistic gaming systems I am not confident that the RC hobby will see continued growth in decades to come?? But I hope I am wrong.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

My 9 year old has been bashing with me for a couple of years. He just got his first 2WD Slash and really likes working on his own truck.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:19 PM
Tech Adept

Its a new era of times ,I think the enterweb has a lot to do with the way
we buy into the hobbies ,in which may hurt hobby shop owners!

However,some tracks are affiliated or attached to the store owners themselves ,
they usually go down with the store.

People should encourage a private track on its own ,some people may
even have access or know folks that have or own idle land that can be
used for an outside dirt track.
That would be a great way to sort of jump start an re -instate the hobby!..
Old 08-17-2016, 03:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c
Seems like RC is a healthy hobby if judging by the money made globally on it. Probably much more than many other hobbies.

What concerns me more is the younger generation not growing up w/ RC cars like many of us did. Kids, including my own are more interested in video games than RC cars. They'd rather race virtually than in real life. When I was a kid video games were not that realistic and not very good, -most kids still spent the majority of their time doing "real" things, not living in a virtual world.

With the advent of virtual reality goggles and ever more realistic gaming systems I am not confident that the RC hobby will see continued growth in decades to come?? But I hope I am wrong.

I was 40 before I ever saw an RC in person. Had small interest back in 80" after seeing one in the Clint Eastwood movie "The Dead Pool".
As for kids. Well I have no idea there. I take mine to park daily. Get few now and then to watch, mostly under 10 years old. Was there couple weeks back. 15-20 playing Pokemon Go. All around 12-15 age group. Not 1 even looked at my RC.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:37 PM
Tech Initiate

I dont know where all you fellas are but im in southeast louisiana and r/c racing is huge down here. I work for adrenaline hobby and we are opening up a 3 track indoor raceway and the hype is so huge. True r/c racing may be dying in some places but not here its growing. My buddies in colorado are dying for tracks to race on. Anyway i will say this nitro is dwindling down here but electrics are booming. Anyways we need to promote our hobby get more folks into it and for those who are true to our sport keep it true and alive peace yall and long live r/c racing in every catagory
Old 08-17-2016, 11:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Club racing is dying here, particularly off road, what was a fun environment is now over-run by sponsored / paid drivers who have systematically infected the pit area like a plague of starved locusts, and with that come the lemmings who buy what Mr fancy T-Shirt says and the bullying that is directed at any voice not towing the line of these drivers and the powers that sit behind them lining their pockets.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:29 AM
Tech Initiate

i couldnt agree with you more mr. nexxus.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:39 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by nexxus
Club racing is dying here, particularly off road, what was a fun environment is now over-run by sponsored / paid drivers who have systematically infected the pit area like a plague of starved locusts, and with that come the lemmings who buy what Mr fancy T-Shirt says and the bullying that is directed at any voice not towing the line of these drivers and the powers that sit behind them lining their pockets.

Same crap happening here in the states to many guys do bigger races but hardly any club racing so turnouts can be good to decent to not enough .

But truly yes there needs to be more people getting into RC racing .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.