Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree42Likes

A Dying Hobby

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Megatron1
and ya know what i like hpi too. My truggy is hpi powered and im very satisfied with it all around the board. The good news is hpi isnt dead. They are alive and well. Ripmax is letting the company do its thing with some upgrade but on a nutshell hpi lives. Just like hobao and ofna. Ofna is where? I have no clue. But hobao a sister company is alive and thriving just migrated to america. Hobao u.s.a its called. Now traxxas what can we say? They are doing well. I like traxxas i own 3 jatos. I dont like all the stuff they got but im happy they are a thriving due to the fact they are a rc company. Im not a huge fan of redcat but if they thrive then good because we need our sport to grow. No one has to agree with me its just how i feel. I want our sport to live on because its already small as is. So you know long live r/c companies.
not a sport, its a hobby. Big difference

Get back to the question, is this hobby dying? No, not at all, it's finding it's level after a lot of growth.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Default DO IT.

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
Do it...
SORRY i just did.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have worked in a hobby shop for 7 years now and i don't think that the hobby is dying, i think the hobby is just misrepresented. Companies like traxxas have really marketed and promoted the bashing style of driving. My average new to r/c customer has absolutely zero interest in assembling kits or any sort of maintenance. They want to pull it out of the box go 65mph and jump the car off huge jumps. Long gone are the guys who want to tinker and paint bodies and enjoy the non driving parts of the hobby.

Is this a change in the public's interest? I dont think so. I think the main problem is companies like traxxas who have the money to make r/c mainstream have no interest in presenting the hobbyist side of the hobby. They air commercials on tv of pure bashing and crazy stunts, not a slash tearing up at a clay track. I think that if our more race dedicated companies could start having booths at motorsports events or commercials on tv we would have a much bigger resurgence in racing and interest in the actual hobby.

We need to show people that these are awesome scale race cars, not really fast toys.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by bmx_ican92
I have worked in a hobby shop for 7 years now and i don't think that the hobby is dying, i think the hobby is just misrepresented. Companies like traxxas have really marketed and promoted the bashing style of driving. My average new to r/c customer has absolutely zero interest in assembling kits or any sort of maintenance. They want to pull it out of the box go 65mph and jump the car off huge jumps. Long gone are the guys who want to tinker and paint bodies and enjoy the non driving parts of the hobby.

Is this a change in the public's interest? I dont think so. I think the main problem is companies like traxxas who have the money to make r/c mainstream have no interest in presenting the hobbyist side of the hobby. They air commercials on tv of pure bashing and crazy stunts, not a slash tearing up at a clay track. I think that if our more race dedicated companies could start having booths at motorsports events or commercials on tv we would have a much bigger resurgence in racing and interest in the actual hobby.

We need to show people that these are awesome scale race cars, not really fast toys.

I agree don't understand why the racing manf do not promote like that.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:59 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Traxxas knows it's market. It could show a Slash running on a track. But since most don't have a "local track". So it shows where it will be driven.
Nothing stopping other brands from having commercials. Or teaming up to show an RC racing comercial.
It's suprised me that other brands didn't follow the Traxxas lead and have demos running at real racing events. Wouldn't take much to setup a road course at SCCA event. Or at and Indy or NASCAR event.
Only 10 percent of actual Jeep vehicles every go off-road. More then a grass field or a gravel lot. And how many Corvette owners will ever do laps on a track. Around 10 percent.
And around 10 percent of the hobby is involved in organized RC.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:29 AM
Tech Champion

If your track is worth racing at, racers will make any excuse to be there.

If your track is dumpy, then racers will use every excuse to convince themselves to not go there. Clean the track, build a real drivers stand. Keep it professional looking and run fair, clean races.

If I was anywhere near the Yatabe arena or Hudy arena, you can bet i'm going to make a point to get there.

It also doesn't help that races are falling on holidays. Even thanksgiving. Sorry, but that's family time for me, not toy car time.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Traxxas knows it's market. It could show a Slash running on a track. But since most don't have a "local track". So it shows where it will be driven.
Nothing stopping other brands from having commercials. Or teaming up to show an RC racing comercial.
It's suprised me that other brands didn't follow the Traxxas lead and have demos running at real racing events. Wouldn't take much to setup a road course at SCCA event. Or at and Indy or NASCAR event.
Only 10 percent of actual Jeep vehicles every go off-road. More then a grass field or a gravel lot. And how many Corvette owners will ever do laps on a track. Around 10 percent.
And around 10 percent of the hobby is involved in organized RC
You just listed every example of why the major 'racing' brands don't do what you're asking. There's no return on investment for them. Even if all the "racing" companies COMBINED spent as much as Traxxas does on promotion. They wouldn't get enough people interested in organized racing to justify the cost.

Racing is 10% or less of the market, even the "new people" market. Traxxas designs and markets their products to the 90% that the other companies don't. That's why they make CrAzY money. It's sheer numbers..simple math
Old 08-30-2016, 11:23 AM
Tech Prophet

Its a shame more people don't get into RC racing scene you meet new people and race competitively but fun at the same time .

Something you don't get just bashing around.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Out here we have basically five tracks. An outdoor race track, a basher track with crawler attached, two indoor onroad tracks, and finally an indoor offroad track which is brand new. I sometimes go to the basher track to do some tuning or just to fart around.

People bashing generally don't know that we race these cars. At demonstrations, its all how its presented to them.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by racer1812
You just listed every example of why the major 'racing' brands don't do what you're asking. There's no return on investment for them. Even if all the "racing" companies COMBINED spent as much as Traxxas does on promotion. They wouldn't get enough people interested in organized racing to justify the cost.

Racing is 10% or less of the market, even the "new people" market. Traxxas designs and markets their products to the 90% that the other companies don't. That's why they make CrAzY money. It's sheer numbers..simple math
Absolutely agree. I was responding to another's post about why other brands don't have comercial or demos. They could but also know the market.
And I'm part of that 90 percent that doesn't. Even though there is a track about 30 miles from me. 6 years in, more then 80 vehicles owned. But I've never been to a track. Only seen a racing demo once, when RCX came to Chicago area when first got into hobby.
Now I'm close to trying a TC group that has been running at hobby store I use. Just parking lot running.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

basically they let traxxas do their advertising for them
Old 08-31-2016, 05:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Well if it ever is actually released. A movie that main character is an RCer. And it's Associated vehicles.

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/feature-fi...sociated-cars/

There is s short promo clip on the Facebook page for it. Has more of a straight to video feel.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Well if it ever is actually released. A movie that main character is an RCer. And it's Associated vehicles.

There is s short promo clip on the Facebook page for it. Has more of a straight to video feel.
I can only hope that's a joke
Old 09-01-2016, 09:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not to be negative but that looks awful
Old 09-01-2016, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bmx_ican92
Not to be negative but that looks awful
Not only that..IMO, it's negative publicity for the hobby. I would compare it to using the movie Kingpin to try and promote Bowling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.