Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Speed Run Electric (All Classes Welcomed) >

Speed Run Electric (All Classes Welcomed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Speed Run Electric (All Classes Welcomed)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 06:47 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Warren007
Thanks a lot for the response .... I figured the Spektrum wasn't a wise choice but just needed to hear it from someone with more experience. I will go with the Futuba radio.
Can't go wrong with Futaba man.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:16 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks a lot for the response .... I figured the Spektrum wasn't a wise choice but just needed to hear it from someone with more experience. I will go with the Futuba radio.
I have heard that Spektrums should be avoided if possible. Let us know which Futaba transmitter you decide to go with and do a range test with it so we can see some real world results.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:21 AM
Tech Regular

Tested my brushless 8th on the street I got 46 MPH.
Thats actually fast for an 8 pound buggy.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is my speed car that I've been working on for a couple years....

Started as an Ofna DM-1e, with heavy modifications.

Here's the rough body that has seen it's share of use. Hasn't hit anything, but the paint is flaking off because of the vibration of the body flapping at high speeds...

Oooh, but wait, what's that in the back picture?

I love to focus on the aerodynamics more than anything. I want a completely STABLE car at 100mph+. What I've done is create a carbon fiber venturi channel tunnel bottom plate that bolts to the main chassis. This also provides a very strong and stable splitter on the front.

But you may also notice that there's heatsinks in each of the tunnels. Yes, that is correct, they are connected to water cooling blocks because my motor is water cooled!

I've found that after a single run or two, the motor is CRAZY hot and I didn't really want to go through $100 motors every other run. Since I had water cooling gear from boats I've done, I set the car up with it. The weight added is surprisingly minimal. If you take a look at the inside shots, you'll see the pump, hoses and water jacket around the motor.

So far, I've had runs slightly past 100mph (104 and 107) but I haven't gone past a 6S battery configuration yet while it supports an 8S. I need to find a better (longer and smoother) stretch of road and some additional help to go faster. At those speeds, it is completely stable. I've even hit a bump at 80 where it got airborne and it just sucked right back down to the ground with no issues. The rear wing is also enlarged and reinforced with CF and you'll also see a CF support plate where the pressure from the rear wing pushes down on the suspension. I have to have VERY hard springs in the car because at speed it even starts to bottom out with all the downforce.

Here's a couple shots of previous versions of my chassis:

V1 with no tunnels:

V2:

V3:
Old 05-04-2016, 08:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by M3Man03

Here's the rough body that has seen it's share of use. Hasn't hit anything, but the paint is flaking off because of the vibration of the body flapping at high speeds...

I love to focus on the aerodynamics more than anything. I want a completely STABLE car at 100mph+. What I've done is create a carbon fiber venturi channel tunnel bottom plate that bolts to the main chassis. This also provides a very strong and stable splitter on the front.

But you may also notice that there's heatsinks in each of the tunnels. Yes, that is correct, they are connected to water cooling blocks because my motor is water cooled!

I've found that after a single run or two, the motor is CRAZY hot and I didn't really want to go through $100 motors every other run. Since I had water cooling gear from boats I've done, I set the car up with it. The weight added is surprisingly minimal. If you take a look at the inside shots, you'll see the pump, hoses and water jacket around the motor.

So far, I've had runs slightly past 100mph (104 and 107) but I haven't gone past a 6S battery configuration yet while it supports an 8S. I need to find a better (longer and smoother) stretch of road and some additional help to go faster. At those speeds, it is completely stable. I've even hit a bump at 80 where it got airborne and it just sucked right back down to the ground with no issues. The rear wing is also enlarged and reinforced with CF and you'll also see a CF support plate where the pressure from the rear wing pushes down on the suspension. I have to have VERY hard springs in the car because at speed it even starts to bottom out with all the downforce.

V1 with no tunnels:

V2:

V3:
Wow! Awesome work! Are you rhouse from youtube and instagram?
Old 05-04-2016, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tc4basher
Wow! Awesome work! Are you rhouse from youtube and instagram?
Nope. They do the same thing?
Old 05-04-2016, 11:38 AM
Tech Addict

Nope. They do the same thing?
He's been making very similar chassis and difffusors and he also likes bright orange colors on his bodies. Very similar work. Check it out:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEyqx-DmvVp/?r=2677730289
Old 05-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

He's been making very similar chassis and difffusors and he also likes bright orange colors on his bodies. Very similar work. Check it out:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEyqx-DmvVp/?r=2677730289
Kinda - but I think mine are a little cleaner.

I wouldn't have painted the orange on the bottom but the CF didn't make it to the sharp corner with the method I used and it was just epoxy, but it's not a load bearing surface, so I just decided to paint it.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:00 PM
Tech Addict

Kinda - but I think mine are a little cleaner.

I wouldn't have painted the orange on the bottom but the CF didn't make it to the sharp corner with the method I used and it was just epoxy, but it's not a load bearing surface, so I just decided to paint it.
Your work is defintely much cleaner. I believe he uses cardboard! Lol
Old 05-04-2016, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

Your work is defintely much cleaner. I believe he uses cardboard! Lol
Yeah, I think 3/16" of CF is a little stronger.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:06 PM
Tech Adept

M3Man03 - What are you using to make your molds?
Old 05-06-2016, 02:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drivejumpfly
I have heard that Spektrums should be avoided if possible. Let us know which Futaba transmitter you decide to go with and do a range test with it so we can see some real world results.
I ordered the Futaba 4PLS and it so happens that a friend of mine purchased the Spektrum radio so once my car is up and running will do some comparisons and share the results .
Old 05-07-2016, 01:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I ordered the Futaba 4PLS and it so happens that a friend of mine purchased the Spektrum radio so once my car is up and running will do some comparisons and share the results .
There will be no comparison, the futaba will have the range.. you will be happy..
Old 05-07-2016, 04:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

V1 with no tunnels:

V2:

V3:
dang, thats the most impressive set up I have seen. any vids?

I knew you werent rhouse because he doesnt use the water cooling set up.

but he is slightly faster...he is a good guy tho.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Has anyone tried the Spektrum radios for high speed runs ? I have read they only work up to 650ft is the true ?
Would you say the Futuba is definetly the way to go or could I get away using the Spektrum ?

What about a gyro sensor for stability control is this beneficial for high speed runs ?
I have always heard Futaba is better for range but I've always used Spektrum and haven't had any issues! I'm currently running a Spektrum 4C with a 4ch Spektrum rx with built in gyro(avc), haven't done a range test but let's put it this way, I have 20/20 vision and I've had my cars so far away to where I could barely see them/don't know which way they're facing! If I'm able to run my cars as far as I can possibly see that's far enough for me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.