Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 04:50 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The end of an era...

Nestled in the foothills of sunny Aliso Viejo California sits a small race track. A facility that started as the testing grounds for a freshly established hobby company 24 years ago. The company is Tamiya America, Inc. and the track grew from testing grounds to what it’s known as today, Tamiya America Raceway.

Over the years we’ve witnessed some of the greatest names in R/C racing from around the world battle wheel to wheel. We’ve watched dreams come true for some and hopes of victory slip away for others. The victories are never sweeter and defeat never harder as seasons come and go, but the dream has always been, win at Tamiya.

It is with these thoughts and memories in mind that make this difficult; as most of you know the Tamiya Raceway property has been on the market for several years. Although some had hopes it would never happen, we are sorry to report the track will be closing its doors permanently on September 1, 2018.

We won’t say farewell to you, our fans, our supporters, our friends that feel like family. Instead we simply say we’ll see you another day. It is our hope to someday return with a track better than before and offer competitive racing to all ages and experience levels in a new home. We thank each and every one of you for your support and for providing years of exciting racing.

Before we say goodbye to one of the world’s most iconic R/C race tracks, we ask that you join us for one final farewell, one more chance to experience a TCS event, compete against the best at the Reedy Race of Champions and one more shot to be crowned TCS National Champion! It is with great sorrow, but befitting, that the Tamiya Championship Series Finals will be the final event held at Tamiya Raceway, a track that has seen the best racing for over two decades.

Our final race schedule will be as follows:

Tamiya TCS Regional Qualifier
March 25, 2018

Reedy International Touring Car Race of Champions
May 24-27, 2018

Tamiya TCS Finals
August 18-19, 2018

We would like to express our personal appreciation to all those that have supported the track, the Tamiya Championship Series and all the other racing events over the past 24 years. A special thank you to Max Valles, David Bird, Kevin Niino, Mark Hinckley, Tom Kahl, Chuck Leslie and the countless other volunteers that have helped over the years. You have all been wonderful and supportive and for this all of us at Tamiya America Inc. thank you.

See you soon with our next endeavor in the not so distant future….

P.S. the track will be open on Saturdays until September 1st 2018. NEW strict hours of operation: 9:00am to 5:00pm
Old 02-15-2018, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Sad to see this place close.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Is that mean no more TCS in 2019?
Old 02-15-2018, 05:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default Tamiya Race Way

A very sad day for sure it was always fun to look forward to coming down every August and race on one of the best tracks.As Fred said we all knew the property was for sale and it was just a matter of time when it was going to be sold. Many thanks to all that made the track possible and all of the racers. It was truly a great family to be part of.How about for the last finals the track could be open all just like the old days.😀
Old 02-15-2018, 06:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

This track will surely be remembered when it's gone

Thanks for everything Tamiya!!!

Signed,

'cuda, one of the lucky racers
Old 02-15-2018, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks for the many years of excitement. I will miss this place, events and the racers/competitors/friends... One of a kind opportunity that TAMIYA has provided.

-O
Leester likes this.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks Tamiya for the many great years. Perhaps the nationals will sprout legs and be hosted at different tracks. Assuming of course there is still a series.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:27 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

This is a huge bummer. Had a lot of fun at the track, and the sole reason I got into r/c. Not living nearby, I have not gotten to go in the last couple years. Need to try to get out to one last regional or national at the track before it goes. A huge hit for the r/c community to lose such a great track.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Omaha regional

A record 93 entries here in Omaha with A Mains on Sunday. Some real close qualifying.
HobbyPLEX and kwkride like this.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Does anybody know what type of surface is at RC Kenetics in Troy???
Old 02-19-2018, 04:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minidriver
A record 93 entries here in Omaha with A Mains on Sunday. Some real close qualifying.
It was another great TCS weekend! Thanks Tim, Tom, and the whole HobbyPLEX crew! Thanks to Tamiya for sponsoring such a great event!
minidriver, golgi and HobbyPLEX like this.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Last edited by dmcguire; 02-19-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by dmcguire
Pretty sure it's indoor asphalt. Looks pretty cool. Never been, but sure want to. If you're going, good luck and have fun!
I'm entered in this TCS race at RC Kinetics. Just to clarify, they have updated the asphalt to carpet. I texted the owner and he recommended running Tamiya Type-C tires. According to the conversations and answers on the FB group, the carpet is 12 gauge, same style and brand as RC Madness in CT (it is not Ozite).

Note: you are correct, their website does indicate asphalt, but they haven't updated the website. Most current information is posted on their Facebook group and they have swapped over to carpet on November 8th, 2017. Search FB group for "R/C Kinetics"
dmcguire likes this.

Last edited by studioRS; 02-19-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by studioRS
I'm entered in this TCS race at RC Kinetics. Just to clarify, they have updated the asphalt to carpet. I texted the owner and he recommended running Tamiya Type-C tires. According to the conversations and answers on the FB group, the carpet is 12 gauge, same style and brand as RC Madness in CT (it is not Ozite).

Note: you are correct, their website does indicate asphalt, but they haven't updated the website. Most current information is posted on their Facebook group and they have swapped over to carpet on November 8th, 2017. Search FB group for "R/C Kinetics"
Thank you for clarifying that. Edited my post above to remove any confusion.
studioRS likes this.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by dmcguire
Thank you for clarifying that. Edited my post above to remove any confusion.
No problem, I edited your edit for edit :-) . If you can you should enter!

@FWM Tamiya - this is unfortunate news, but last time I visited was in 2006 when the museum, offices were there (didn't get to run on the track). This was before Tamiya moved to Irvine and understand the disconnected track from corporate offices. The property sale makes business sense.

I will not let this dampen my Tamiya enthusiasm spirit and I know TCS will carry on! Fortunately, I have family in SoCal and will do my best get out and drive on the course at least once before it closes.

Bittersweet news of course - how fitting. I raced in the 2nd ever TCS race in 1994 (RAMS track San Jose, CA) and this year (24 years later) decide to get back to my roots and enter a TCS race.
dmcguire and KA2AEV like this.

Last edited by studioRS; 03-13-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.