Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

here is my 69 Z28 and Mustang
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-2011-usvta-nationals-007.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-2011-usvta-nationals-004.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-2011-usvta-nationals-002.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-2010-ford-mustang-boss-001.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-2010-ford-mustang-boss-007.jpg  

Old 02-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Wheels to Dye For

I needed to dye another set of wheels to match a body I'm going to paint (for another racer). This time the wheels are going to be a shade of red. I decided to photograph my progress.

As before, I boiled water on the stove in a separate pot. I poured the boiling water into a glass bowl with 1 teaspoon (1 tsp) of dye. After letting the wheels soak for 5 minutes, I removed them from the hot solution and placed into a small container of cold water. I moved the small container to the sink and thoroughly rinsed the wheels with cold water.

A few notes:
- The pictures were taken with a point and shoot Canon camera in a small kitchen with flourescent lighting from the ceiling and incadescent from the stove. The end result is slightly darker than what the photos show.

- I am using a 4qt bowl with 1 teaspoon (tsp) of dry dye. Going forward I will probably use less water/dye so that the bowl is easier to empty.

- I dyed the white wheels for 5 minutes.

- After I removed the white wheels, I threw a pair of HPI Vintage Brushed Aluminum wheels into the water. Since they had tires mounted to them, they floated on top. I let them float for about 10 minutes before removing them from the solution.

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-1-supplies.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-2-white-hpi-vintage-stock-whels.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-3-taking-hot-bath.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-5-cooling-off.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-6-end-result.jpg  

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 02-02-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is one more quick picture. I took the wheels I dyed red and blacked out the center with a Sharpie marker. I did this quickly just for demonstration purposes. I now have a set of custom redline wheels.

There are other ways to color r/c wheels:

- Paint. I have painted R/C wheels in the past. I used lexan paint and it bonded fairly well to the wheel. Eventually the paint would start to chip, but it lasted longer than I expected. The advantage to paint is that you know exactly what the color is going to be when you apply it. The disadvantages are added weight and mess during application. You might also be able to use hardware store paint that is made for plastic lawn furniture.

- Marker. As you can see in the photo, a marker actually works fairly well on the brushed aluminum. However if you want any other color than black, I haven't had great success with an even application (looked splotchy). The advantages to markers are easy clean-up if you make a mistake (body wash, goo gone, general household cleaners) and easy to re-apply if the application wears off. The main disadvantage is that this process is time consuming. You may also need to buy thin tipped marker (or modify the tip of a normal marker) to reach into tight areas where the spokes meet the outer wheel. Expect to spend at least 5 minutes per wheel to get a result that looks good up close.

- Dye. As I have shown, dyeing nylon wheels/parts is fairly simple. The main disadvantage is that this is a trial and error process to get the exact result you are wanting. However, the biggest advantage is that the wheel will look better longer than paint. One thing to note though, is that using dye is similar to anodizing metal. The dye doesn't penetrate the nylon completely. If you cut/sand/chip the nylon you will eventually expose the original color.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-custom-redline-wheels.jpg  
Old 02-02-2011, 02:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

could you dye the wheel red then apply wax or something to the part you want to stay red then dye them black and remove the wax?
Old 02-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
here is my 69 Z28 and Mustang
Darkside,

Is that the Parma 69 Camaro Body?
Old 02-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GP40X
Looks like the new HPI '69.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Tech Champion

hpi
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-69-z28-front.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-69-z28-side.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-2011-usvta-nationals-020.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-2011-usvta-nationals-003.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-2011-usvta-nationals-008.jpg  

Old 02-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Speaking of decals, I never throw any decals out. Periodically I do go through and organize what I have though.

I'm thankful that some of the HPI VTA bodies come with extra headlights/driving lights. Those have come in handy when painting up the Pegasus Mustang, since that comes with no decals at all.

I've also used the Camaro SS stripes to help mask the door strips on my Pegasus Mustang as well. The scraps from the HPI vinyl window masks come in handy when masking off small areas, such as the rear tail lights on the Pegasus Mustang.

And if you are wanting a more modern tail light decals for any of the Mustangs, the modern HPI Mustang has an extra set of tail light decals as well.
Hpi decals on a Pegasus Mustang...noooooooooo haha (...yes I made most of the Vintage decals )

So here is the big decal question:

Should we stick with the "chrome" window trim decals like some of the "newer" decals (ie. 69 Camaro etc) or go back to the silver/white/black faux "illustration" style chrome effect like the earlier Hpi Vintage decal sets (ie. GT350 etc)

Thanks,

AndyH
Hpi Racing
Old 02-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by andyh
Hpi decals on a Pegasus Mustang...noooooooooo haha (...yes I made most of the Vintage decals )

So here is the big decal question:

Should we stick with the "chrome" window trim decals like some of the "newer" decals (ie. 69 Camaro etc) or go back to the silver/white/black faux "illustration" style chrome effect like the earlier Hpi Vintage decal sets (ie. GT350 etc)

Thanks,

AndyH
Hpi Racing

I would stick with the chrome it looks a lot better . That being from a painters view point.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:50 AM
Tech Elite

It's impossible to see unless you are up close anyway, so it's an insignificant difference to me (as a painter).

Or, let me phrase it differently—if it adds to the cost of the body, then keep it like the old ones that are black and white. It looks fine.

Last edited by squarehead; 02-05-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

...hmmm I think you'll need to make room for 2 more in the HPI section real soon
its been almost 2 months since you put this teaser out there...any more info available????
Old 02-05-2011, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Sounds like they are still working on decals, so at least you know they are close.

Better happen soon, I need a new body for the new car.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by GP40X
Darkside,

No offense to Parma but I have never seen them do anything near that nice.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by squarehead
Sounds like they are still working on decals, so at least you know they are close.

Better happen soon, I need a new body for the new car.
Good to see you active on this thread again.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default ...

Originally Posted by k_bojar
its been almost 2 months since you put this teaser out there...any more info available????
...everything done..licensing (ie. yes we actually do license our Vintage bodies unlike some others )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.