Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

OK, "everything done..licensing"

That being the case when will you reveal what these 2 new VTA bodies are?
And when can we actually expect to see them available?

The new '66 Mustang coupe body has been on the website a while now and still is not available.

Not trying to be hardnose here, but we would like to know A. What are these 2 new VTA bodies? and B. when will they be available?
Old 02-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

When do we get full sheets of the pig decal. Officially licensed by Andy H and Subaru?
Old 02-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Subaru someone say Subaru
Old 02-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
hpi
How did you do the 69 RS grille?
Old 02-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GP40X
It's a really nice decal sheet with the body that includes both SS/RS and Z28 grille/headlight configurations. Very nicely done.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GP40X
HPI's 1969 Chevy Camaro Z28 come with the option of SS or RS front end...its a great body...
Old 02-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Not your usual period correct but it is a VTA body
Old 02-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

So what happened to andyh? Looking for some answers.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Is there an online primer/tutorial on the basics of painting a VTA body? not looking to go all out, but things like the chrome molding around the windows or chrome trim in the grill, or the thin line edge stripe that surrounds the main stripes on a Camaro, how do you get those into the paint with just masking or is there some tricks?
Old 02-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slashdriver
Is there an online primer/tutorial on the basics of painting a VTA body? not looking to go all out, but things like the chrome molding around the windows or chrome trim in the grill, or the thin line edge stripe that surrounds the main stripes on a Camaro, how do you get those into the paint with just masking or is there some tricks?
If you buy an HPI Camaro body, it will come with very detailed pre-cut decals and window masks. The HPI '68 Camaro has silver molding decals that go around the windows, SS decals side decals, head light, tail light, etc. It also has all the decals to make your car look like this one pictured on the HPI website (http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/7494.html ).

The HPI '68 Camaro is probably the easiest to paint/detail of all the current VTA bodies. I probably could paint a mono-color scheme, apply all the decals, and have it mounted to a body in about 3 hours.

As to more advanced painting like chrome bumpers/trim, hopefully Dodgeboy will respond and let us know some of his tricks/tips.

I need to paint up another '68 Camaro with hood/truck stripes. I will try to take a photo of the body before I paint it. Basically I bought some thin pin stripe decals from a local hobby shop and used it to mask the inside of the body to create the thin space between the hood/trunk decal. When I didn't feel like spending that much time, I have just used tape on the inside to mask off a solid decal.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 02-09-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

There are different ways to mask Camaro Hood stripes. Below is a photo of how I mask the stripes when I plan to paint the stripes first and then main body color second.

- I am using Tamiya masking tape. For the thin stripes, I cut the tamiya tape into 2mm wide strips.
- The body does look a bit cloudy due to scuffing the inside of the lexan with a Scotch Brite green pad (helps with paint adhesion).
- The hood stripes are easy to mask due to being molded into the body.
- I usually eye-ball the distance of the thin stripes.
- It took me between 15-30 minutes to mask the front stripes.

Trunk Stripes take a bit more effort.
- Find the center line of the body and mark.
- Measure how wide the front stripes are and how far they are from the center line of the body. For the HPI '68 Camaro, stripes are 34mm wide, inside is 15mm from the center line, outside is 49mm from center line, & stripes will be 98mm wide if measured from the outside edges. (Make sure to measure twice.)
- Measure distance from front windows to hood stripes and replicate on rear. For the HPI '68 Camaro this is 8mm.
Below is another photo of the rear (without the thin stripes masked).

Rear Spoiler Stripes take additional effort.
- After masking the trunk stripes, cut and mount the rear spoiler.
- Note where the trunk stripes line up with the rear spoiler and mark locations with a Sharpie.
- Remove rear spoiler and mask.
- Re-attach rear spoiler and make sure masking lines up.
Notes:
- I've tried to mask & paint the rear spoiler before mounting it, but the thin stripes usually don't exactly line up.
- If matching the stripes on the spoiler are too much effort, simply paint the spoiler black or a single color that is complimentary to the paint scheme.

Wide Stripes only are fine
- Once you get 5' away from any car, most of the fine detail won't be noticeable.
- If it is a race body, it will soon be scratched or dented. Spend the extra time at the track practicing.

Monokote Trim is a good alternative to paint
- If you want to skip paint, you can always make your own external stripes with Monokote Trim. (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=monokote+trim). It comes in a variety of colors, has adhesive backing, and is fuel resistant. I've used the monokote trim in the past on the outside of the rear spoiler when I didn't want to take the time to mask/paint the inside of the spoiler.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-camaro-masking-hood-stripes.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-camaro-masking-trunk-stripes-.jpg  

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 02-09-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

A little fun I had today with the new Z-28 body. Something a little different to keep it fun.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dscn6734.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dscn6736.jpg  
Old 02-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Mikey M
A little fun I had today with the new Z-28 body. Something a little different to keep it fun.
I like it! Definitely not the same old thing again. Well done!
Old 02-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

This is a different vintage body.

McAllister '57 Ford Bomber body.

Paint (rattle cans):
- Pactra Racing Red
- Pactra Sprint White
- Alclad II Chrome

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-57-ford-lf.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-57-ford-rr.jpg  

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 02-14-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
This is a different vintage body.

McAllister '57 Ford Bomber body.

Paint (rattle cans):
- Pactra Racing Red
- Pactra Sprint White
- Alcad II Chrome

Two thumbs WAY up for that one!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.