R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 04-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #46
Tech Regular

Is this 1 US fluid ounce? From a drugstore or from Klotz or Novarossi?
fulcrum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #47
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Actually I use medicine measure cups from a pharmacy and it is 1 fluid ounce to a gallon, and its just the nova rossi 1n1 oil that they sell.
J-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:23 AM   #48
Tech Initiate

Hi I just picked up the break in version of this engine. Anyone know whether there are any further "break in" transition periods before I floor this thing? Or is this thing literally race ready?
alexlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #49
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlok View Post
Hi I just picked up the break in version of this engine. Anyone know whether there are any further "break in" transition periods before I floor this thing? Or is this thing literally race ready?
When we get a pre-run version of an engine, we run a whole bottle through the engine rich on the track, and then start race-tuning it from there. Even though the engine is technically "pre-run", it still has some breaking in to do. Just keep that in mind and make sure not to run the engine too lean. Also keep an eye on the compression of the engine.

Team ARC USA - Hobby Authority Distribution - TiTAN BLITZ - ActivRC
bcebwecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:36 AM   #50
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcebwecb View Post
When we get a pre-run version of an engine, we run a whole bottle through the engine rich on the track, and then start race-tuning it from there. Even though the engine is technically "pre-run", it still has some breaking in to do. Just keep that in mind and make sure not to run the engine too lean. Also keep an eye on the compression of the engine.

Thanks Brandon. When you say "bottle" you mean nitro re-fill bottle and not just a mere tank-full right?
Old 05-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #51
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlok View Post
Thanks Brandon. When you say "bottle" you mean nitro re-fill bottle and not just a mere tank-full right?
yes
kyosho malaysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #52
Tech Elite

Hi guys,

Normally a 500cc bottle is about right. However I found with the new Virtus, you need more time for the break in. If you only use 1 fuel bottle it will not be ready to perform at its best. I would go through the first bottle really on the rich side. Keeping it around 190-205 degrees. For the second bottle keep it around 210-220. Always run the bottom rich in this process as well. One the 3rd bottle you can start running it with a rich race setting. By the fourth bottle you can run it full out.

This is just what I found when I did my first ones.

DJ Apolaro
Old 05-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #53
Tech Initiate

Do any of you use the included venturi restrictors? If yes, any recommendations which one to use?
Old 05-13-2013, 01:12 AM   #54
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj apolaro View Post
Hi guys,

Normally a 500cc bottle is about right. However I found with the new Virtus, you need more time for the break in. If you only use 1 fuel bottle it will not be ready to perform at its best. I would go through the first bottle really on the rich side. Keeping it around 190-205 degrees. For the second bottle keep it around 210-220. Always run the bottom rich in this process as well. One the 3rd bottle you can start running it with a rich race setting. By the fourth bottle you can run it full out.

This is just what I found when I did my first ones.

DJ Apolaro

Thanks DJ for your advice. Just to clarify, when you say the third bottle is run with a "rich race setting" do you mean to still run it rich? Or can start to lean it out for a race setting?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #55
Tech Elite

You are definitely leaning it out for racing but just running it on the safer side a little rich. you are not running it on the extreme side yet.

Dj
Old 05-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #56
Tech Master

can someone kindly advise what are the sizes of both front and rear bearings?
choisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #57
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

I believe standard 14.5x26 and front would be 7x19x5

But the main bearing is different in shape that a normal bearing would not fit.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #58
Tech Master

Thanks. This is why it scares me away since Flash, the bearings are very expensive and proprietary. I would go for something easy.
1/8 is difficult to get popular now a day. For a beginner, it is easy to spend at least $2 to 3000 US to be competitive in terms of gears.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #59
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Up to the flash it is a very normal bearing you can find at TKO, Boca etc. for much better prices. The keep-on and the Virtus has a small edge in the cranckase and need to fit a bearing with a smaller (in width) inner brace. Handy people can mill out the edge from the crankcase and fit a normal bearing. I truly believe this has no real technical function than only protecting their after market in bearings.

But probably other RC bearing manufacturers have made a ready to fit bearing for these latest model engines. Just look arround.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #60
Tech Master

Thanks, milling is not the option to buy it