Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Picco TORQUE versus Novarossi topic >

Picco TORQUE versus Novarossi topic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Picco TORQUE versus Novarossi topic

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

I vote for either engine brand......heck even if it was a taiwan made engine as long as it is quick and fast off the line up to 132' for my hobby sport, I'd buy it. I have broken the Picco in and thus far, it responds just as good as my Novarossi engines and definately seems to be just as equal to them in the spool up dept.

When I do go back and look at that timing chart, the Picco has ALOT more closed timing than any other engine listed but yet gets good fuel milage for you all. Of course fuel consumption is not a concern to me at all.......only raw brute off the line bottom end, mid-range and top end HP. So far, I really like what I see with the ease of tuning and the response of this engine. Does anyone have the timing data of a stock kangaroo, Picco P9R?
Old 11-10-2011, 03:13 AM
Tech Lord

Be aware timing is just 1 of the things determing the fuel consumption. If I use a 2013 pipe on my 35+ I do gain at least 30 seconds of runtime... so maybe the 2033 pipe and the 2057 pipe most are using on the Picco can do the same....
Old 11-10-2011, 05:11 AM
Tech Regular

Default Picco Torque in an NT1

Last time I ran Picco's were the JLR Red Dot Piccos in my NT1. This was afew years ago. The motor never seemed to fit quite right, and I had issues with stripped gears.

Do the new Torques fit w/o issues?

From what I've read, the torques miss just a little on the high end but rip on bottom and mid-range. In gearing them up slightly, what have been the best pinion and spur combo's that avoid gear issues?

Picco has also I believe introduced a new pipe the 2667? Anyone have experience with it? If not what is the best pipe?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RayJ
Last time I ran Picco's were the JLR Red Dot Piccos in my NT1. This was afew years ago. The motor never seemed to fit quite right, and I had issues with stripped gears.

Do the new Torques fit w/o issues?

From what I've read, the torques miss just a little on the high end but rip on bottom and mid-range. In gearing them up slightly, what have been the best pinion and spur combo's that avoid gear issues?

Picco has also I believe introduced a new pipe the 2667? Anyone have experience with it? If not what is the best pipe?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I know somebody who ran one in his NT1 with a 17/23 at the GLC at least during practice and it fit Ok with the one piece brass mount and it was fast.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by YBSLOW
I know somebody who ran one in his NT1 with a 17/23 at the GLC at least during practice and it fit Ok with the one piece brass mount and it was fast.

Hey Brad..... wassup!! Thanks for the heads-up! Looks like I might get a chance to race a little more next year. So much going on with my kid and family that I haven't had a chance to do much.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roelof
Be aware timing is just 1 of the things determing the fuel consumption. If I use a 2013 pipe on my 35+ I do gain at least 30 seconds of runtime... so maybe the 2033 pipe and the 2057 pipe most are using on the Picco can do the same....
I'm convinced that the difference in fuel consuption is mainly caused by the different carbs.

I once ran a .12 Picco with a NR carb, which gave me more top end, but also ruined the fuel consumption.

The .21 carbs are unfortunately not the same size, so it's not so simple to make that test.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by stefan
The .21 carbs are unfortunately not the same size, so it's not so simple to make that test.

Not for me. I just milled one of mine down to fit in the Picco block, no issues BUT right now the Picco carb is much, much crispier and smoother thus far. I will test the engine with both carbs though and for me, fuel consumption is not what I am after.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

Novarossi engines dominate the FORGASS race at Arcadia this weekend taking the TQ and win in both Touring and 8th Scale and 4 out the possible 6 podium spots. 1st & 2nd in 8th Scale and 1st and 3rd in Touring.

Touring

1st Gianni Giorgio Xray Novarossi
2nd Scotty Gray Shepherd IDM
3rd Rino Lino Capricorn Novarossi

8th Scale

1st DJ Apolaro Capricorn Novarossi
2nd Joaquin de Soto Jr Capricorn Novarossi
3rd Gianni Giorgio Mugen Max-Novarossi

Old 11-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by desotoracing
Novarossi engines dominate the FORGASS race at Arcadia this weekend taking the TQ and win in both Touring and 8th Scale and 4 out the possible 6 podium spots. 1st & 2nd in 8th Scale and 1st and 3rd in Touring.

Touring

1st Gianni Giorgio Xray Novarossi
2nd Scotty Gray Shepherd IDM
3rd Rino Lino Capricorn Novarossi

8th Scale

1st DJ Apolaro Capricorn Novarossi
2nd Joaquin de Soto Jr Capricorn Novarossi
3rd Gianni Giorgio Mugen Max-Novarossi

Congrats some really great racing & competition
Old 01-02-2012, 07:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JACK HAMMER
Picco engine really good engine. But not in same league as novarossi. If I had to chose between a picco 21 and a plus 35 steel bearing I'd take the latter.

And as for the pts tuned definately you get what your paying for in power and reliabilty. And technology.
But why Novarossi choosed to offer such engines for dumping prices ???
The 35Plus21 one year ago costs double the price .

The politics of Novarossi are very strange . If you need a Flash 21 and you want to save about 200 $ than take the Flash Rally ...The same engine with the same partslist .

I call this defraudation.
So I spend my money on honest companys like Picco .
Old 01-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Nice, congrats guys!