R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 12-07-2006, 04:32 PM   #2446
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1R racer
Hi Edward
Have you got my pms, any chance of sorting my problems out now.
Thanks
i am really sorry, can you please resend it. I am afraid it got lost in 50+ emails and PMs i recive everydday.
As I remember I sent you free p/l set because you won some race in UK using BRB set you got from Geoff-am I right?
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:39 PM   #2447
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to uniquexme Send a message via Yahoo to uniquexme Send a message via Skype™ to uniquexme

Edward,

Finally my parcel arrived. keke... btw, uniquexme & Desmond is me. haha.. maybe because i use uniquexme as a nick and email, so u are all mixed up. anyway, i am glad that u sent out the parts, and even some bonus parts. thanks Ed for being so generous. gotta treat u for a drink if we have chance. haha..
uniquexme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:34 AM   #2448
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor
I had a same issue with leaking front bearings ,changed bearings on 2 engines ,one with rubber seal and one with metal seal.Still had same issue.

Got advice from Kitracer ,suggesting the bottom was too rich or the tune itself ,followed hes advice and have to say everything is perfect.
These engines have a different way of tuning them and seem for me anyway to like to run hotter than other makes.
My engines are running between 115 and 130 degC ,idle perfect and have been running great lately.
Do find the carb to be a bit of a pain ,have been using a RB carb and its perfect.
Glad to hear the tunning work well for you

FYI, the weather here is getting cooler down to 18 to 20C. Now I use 0.32mm head shim on 25 or 30% nitro with great result. The Engine temp I am running now is around 95C.
kitracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:04 AM   #2449
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

When I ran the PR12, I too had thought the front bearing was leaking. I modified the case like Edward said and I still had the problem. When I trusted what Edward was saying that the engine was too rich on the bottom, I changed the tune and found it to be a great little performer. I just wish I had listened to Edward in the first place and saved myself the frustration.

I think people should stop trying to take advantage of Edward's generous nature and realise that these engines don't last forever and you shouldn't expect free parts whenever you feel like it.

I'll have to order another bimetal set for my engine one of these days.

Cheers,

Mike.
www.nbhc.com.au - www.teamxray.com
Z00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:16 AM   #2450
Tech Elite

What clearance have you guys been running withn 16% nitro ???
I have shimmed my engines to .35 on one and .4 on another.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:49 AM   #2451
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardN
i am really sorry, can you please resend it. I am afraid it got lost in 50+ emails and PMs i recive everydday.
As I remember I sent you free p/l set because you won some race in UK using BRB set you got from Geoff-am I right?
Hi ed
pm sent

you gave me a free p/l set and i purchased a second one .

Thanks
V1R racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:10 AM   #2452
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1R racer
Hi ed
pm sent

you gave me a free p/l set and i purchased a second one .

Thanks
Hi Jerome.
I remeber it very well.
I just sent you PM back
Edward
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #2453
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to uniquexme Send a message via Yahoo to uniquexme Send a message via Skype™ to uniquexme

tuning LSN. guys, how do u know that ur LSN is perfectly tuned? coz i have heard so much about BRB / Palmaris has different tunning from other engine. my mate told me that he has concluded that on average, we need to have about 3-3.5 turn on LSN (meaning u lean it to the max, then turn rich it by 3 turns), but i have no idea. so he checked mine (which i have tuned, and is have with its power), with 2-2.5 turns. so he rich it by 1 full turn, gonna test it today (hope it doesn't rain, coz its been raining everyday here).

from wat i know for japanese engine is that u tune the LSN to the point that it gets overheat (u will hear the engine singing), then u richen it a bit. but for palmaris, really have no idea. all i know is that u need to get LSN super lean.

Edward, i haven't replace the bearing and crankshaft, coz i m still waiting for your file on the crankcase. i really dun have the tools and skills to do the mod on the case, pls help me out, can we exchange the case? coz i really really thought that u are sending me the case. n now, after receiving ur parts, i m still stuck. i m sure replacing those parts alone aren't going to stop the oil leakage.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:37 PM   #2454
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquexme
tuning LSN. guys, how do u know that ur LSN is perfectly tuned? coz i have heard so much about BRB / Palmaris has different tunning from other engine. my mate told me that he has concluded that on average, we need to have about 3-3.5 turn on LSN (meaning u lean it to the max, then turn rich it by 3 turns), but i have no idea. so he checked mine (which i have tuned, and is have with its power), with 2-2.5 turns. so he rich it by 1 full turn, gonna test it today (hope it doesn't rain, coz its been raining everyday here).

from wat i know for japanese engine is that u tune the LSN to the point that it gets overheat (u will hear the engine singing), then u richen it a bit. but for palmaris, really have no idea. all i know is that u need to get LSN super lean.

Edward, i haven't replace the bearing and crankshaft, coz i m still waiting for your file on the crankcase. i really dun have the tools and skills to do the mod on the case, pls help me out, can we exchange the case? coz i really really thought that u are sending me the case. n now, after receiving ur parts, i m still stuck. i m sure replacing those parts alone aren't going to stop the oil leakage.
Desmond, replace the shaft and bearing and your problem will be solved. Try before give up.
Edward
Old 12-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #2455
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Desmond, replace the shaft and bearing and your problem will be solved. Try before give up.
Edward
Ed, i will try to replace it and let u know. but do u need me to take a photo of the case when i remove the old front bearing?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:57 PM   #2456
Tech Elite

Quote:
Ed, i will try to replace it and let u know. but do u need me to take a photo of the case when i remove the old front bearing?
Hi Desmond.
Yes please take photo and send it to me on email.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:25 PM   #2457
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi Desmond.
Yes please take photo and send it to me on email.
Desmond, the mod for the crankcase really isn't difficult. I've never mod'ed an engine but I've done a couple cases. Please give it a try, it should get rid of your problem.
Surge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #2458
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge
Desmond, the mod for the crankcase really isn't difficult. I've never mod'ed an engine but I've done a couple cases. Please give it a try, it should get rid of your problem.
all rite, since u guys said that its so easy, i shall give it a try this week. hope it work out. but may i know wat tools i need so that i can get it today.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:34 PM   #2459
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
all rite, since u guys said that its so easy, i shall give it a try this week. hope it work out. but may i know wat tools i need so that i can get it today.
Desmond, if you need assistance, I mention before that you can pm me your number and I can call you since we are on the same time zone.
This mod is easy unless you have not used a "file" before..... so dont tell me

Again, only a prevention. I have been running these crankcase without mod and all require is you tune the bottom needle properly, on the leaner side if you compare to other brand. It leave oil residue after run but it wont affect tunning or performace. The good side the front bearing will last lot longer.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:05 AM   #2460
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitracer
Desmond, if you need assistance, I mention before that you can pm me your number and I can call you since we are on the same time zone.
This mod is easy unless you have not used a "file" before..... so dont tell me

Again, only a prevention. I have been running these crankcase without mod and all require is you tune the bottom needle properly, on the leaner side if you compare to other brand. It leave oil residue after run but it wont affect tunning or performace. The good side the front bearing will last lot longer.
For people interested, the Tuning Ive been doing on BRB and Bi metal have been working great for me. All require is to pay more attention on Bottom needle. If your carb is way out of tune, then start tunning with the Main needle first but here I assume your engine will run!
I will start warming up the engine until operation temp , then tune the bottom needle so that when idle the engine for 10 sec, it will cleanly accelerate without hesitation. ( but still smoke). Then lean it again until it will idle for 15 sec then cleanly accerlrate. I know people use pitch the fuel line method but I could not get good result so far but the idea behind it the same. The main needle will change if you lean a lot on the bottom to make that happen so please read temp or listen at the track to see any sign of overheat.
Since the Temp here in Hong Kong have cool a lot, about 18C, I have been using 0.3mm head shim down from 0.5mm( sorry no clearance.. too lazy to buy a solidering iron ) for 25% Nitro.

I am changing gear ratio to 17/22 60/56 on my 720 this week ( down from 17/23) . because of the layout of our track require a lot of Mid range power.

This week will be a big race, the Kyosho Cup final with Team Kyosho driver coming from Japan... will see how our HongKee up agaist the best from Japan. Good racing Guys