R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 06-10-2005, 02:43 PM   #1801
Suspended

How do I get a Palmaris hat? I saw Brian Thomas wear it and it looked tight!!!! I want to wear to da club!
SF Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 02:45 PM   #1802
Tech Rookie

i second that!!!!!!! i seen a drivers at revelation with earnhardt glasses wearing it too.... where can i buy one???? do you have a web site???
tedlgcok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 02:47 PM   #1803
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlgcok
i second that!!!!!!! i seen a drivers at revelation with earnhardt glasses wearing it too.... where can i buy one???? do you have a web site???
I want his glass's too! They were TIGHT!!!! Where do I buy them?
SF Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:07 PM   #1804
Tech Rookie

brian thomas is the man! ! ! ! does he run for traxxas???? i hear he's the fastest african american man north of the equator....
tedlgcok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:16 AM   #1805
Tech Regular

Default Base Tuning

After reading many of the posts, I got lost in the shimming and head clearance suggestions. I think it would be great if someone would do a post on base tunings for different nitro , engine type and ambient temps for people buying the Palmaris cranks, brb sets etc.

Okay from personal experience tuning my brb set with Ed's crank in an NS12 case here is what I found.

I run 30% nitro and run typically only 7T turbo plugs. The ambient temp where I race is typically 85 degrees F and track temps around 120 degrees.

The first thing I did was check total head clearance. I shim according to the total head clearance I want. For most NS12's with using the above nitro, plug and ambient temp's .6mm total head clearance at 600ft above sea level seems to work well. Whatever shim's it takes to reach that is where I go. I NEVER assume head clearance and always check it on a motor by motor basis.

Using temp guidleines according to nova based engines running great at 230 to 250 degrees F did not work well for me. The motor really didn't come alive until it reached about 270 degrees. Perhaps it's because the brb piston and sleeve materials need to reach these temps before expanding compared to the standard sleeve and piston materials.

Using LSN at 1.75 and HSN at 4.5, the motor came alive. It ran 270 and stayed there. Run after run after run. These needle settings are leaner than I run on my NOVA's, and the temps are higher as well too. Who cares?? If that's what it takes to make the motor run. That's where you run it. I finally also invested in an Exergen DX501 temp gun. I got so tired of erratic scary readings from all the rest of these so called temp guns. They read numbers not even close and consistant to the Exergens #'s. I really try to tune for performance first!! When I find that level. I focus on temp as to where that motor likes to be. Not tuning first by temp! Tune first by performance and then find out the temp where that motor likes to be.

After about 25 tanks of fuel, I pulled the head. No signs of detonation. I really don't like changing plugs and shims to quickly until I have thouroughly exhausted trying to tune the carb using a base nitro content, plug choice, total head clearance and ambient temp. Unless of course the motor is detonating.

So to summarize.

Ed's crank with BRB P/S and NS12 case:
30% nitro
7Turbo plug
.6mm total head clearance.
LSN 1.75
HSN 4.5
ambient temp 85
track temp 120
600 ft above sea level
motor temp 270
It ran great...................... Any constructive tuning tips would be appreciated!
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 11:24 AM   #1806
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Ray. How is going?
There is will be no universal set up for any engines-every particular area has its own ambient conditions and engines will react on it differently.
On some days we are running 220-225, onother day 270-as you sad what ever it takes to get jucte out of it. As long as engine perform good, don't eat glow plugs etc-the rest are just good references.
On the first couple of gallons normal temp will be slightly higher (250-270), then when piston will start wearing out, engine will drop temp.
Edward
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 01:00 PM   #1807
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Edward,

PM for you.

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:17 PM   #1808
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp27
Edward,

PM for you.

Cheers, Mark.
Hi Mark.
PMed back.
Edward
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 01:30 AM   #1809
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Gun 777
Hi Ray. How is going?
There is will be no universal set up for any engines-....
Ray,
This is what I think too. I have been running with head shims from 0.3mm to 0.5mm with 30%. One thing I check all the time so that I have not gone too far is by reading the plug. I will try to use less shim as possible on our BRB without eating plugs.

For Hong Kong, I use 0.4mm for running in, then 0.3mm
For Thailand, I used 0.4mm (0.3 , the wire pushed in really bad)
For Sydney, I used 0.3mm

If you have a Exergen temp gun, you can use Temp as reference. But if you use most other brand, the temp could be off by 20 celius.

My suggestion
Tune for performance, Read Temp, then Read plug ( Exergen Temp gun)
Tune for Performance, read Plug, then Read Temp (other Temp gun)

Chris
Old 06-16-2005, 09:46 AM   #1810
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitracer
If you have a Exergen temp gun, you can use Temp as reference. But if you use most other brand, the temp could be off by 20 celius.
i found the exergen gives lower reading when the cooling head temp gets higher, comparing to my temp gun (below 200F is pretty much the same). i was thinking maybe the emissivity of the cooling head/glow plug throw the reading off on my temp gun, so i decided to do a calibration to find the right emissivity setting for my temp. gun, for the cooling head i was using.

i used a thermocouple to take temp. reading off the glow plug and compare the reading to the one taken with my temp. gun. to my supprise, my temp. gun's reading is pretty close to the thermocouple's readings. then i notice the label on the exergen, which says "place probe flush on surface when measuring" and i realize i could never place the probe flush on the surface of the cooling head, there will be an air gap of at least 0.5", depending on the size of the cooling head hole. i wonder if that is the reason why the exergen always give a lower reading when comparing to other brands.

i think the exergen is a very good temp. gun, but maybe not suitable for RC application, especially for .12 size engine. it might work well with the .21 size engine becasue the probe can be place closer to the glow plug. and of course, i could be wrong too.
Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:53 AM   #1811
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data
it might work well with the .21 size engine becasue the probe can be place closer to the glow plug. and of course, i could be wrong too.
For me, if it is off 20 c is not a problem IF it is always off by the same amount. The main point here is consistancy. With Exergen, you always point at the same direction and reading will be consistant. So if you use temp as reference only, it won't matter at all. Like Ray said.. so what if it require to run at 270F and without any problem.

Plus I doubt exergen DX series will be ever off more than 5c to the real/actual temp used on both .12 and 21 with the popular heat sinks out in the market.

damn, raining again here... no testing tomorrow.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:43 PM   #1812
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitracer
For me, if it is off 20 c is not a problem IF it is always off by the same amount. The main point here is consistancy. With Exergen, you always point at the same direction and reading will be consistant. So if you use temp as reference only, it won't matter at all. Like Ray said.. so what if it require to run at 270F and without any problem.

Plus I doubt exergen DX series will be ever off more than 5c to the real/actual temp used on both .12 and 21 with the popular heat sinks out in the market.

damn, raining again here... no testing tomorrow.
the fact that below 200F, exergen reads about the same as other probes tells me the different is not linear.

the fact that there is no mechanical index you can use to point the exergen to the exact direction everytime and every cooling is built differently tells me you will get a slightly different reading everytime.

the fact that if one uses temp as reference only and 20C different is not a big deal tells me that any other brand temp. gun will be just as good as exergen, regardless what the temperature one choose to run his/her engine at.

IR probe take the average temperature within a circular area, the "dot". and if the temperature within this dot various a lot, the reading will drift away from the actual temp at the target area. the larger the dot (or the probe tip is further away from the target area) and/or the larger temp. variation around the target area, the further the reading will be drift away from actual temp at target area. sometimes i wonder where on the engine i should take the reading from, the glow plug area is one good place, but physically it is kind of hard to get a good reading everytime. maybe i wonder too much, just run the damn car.

just want to point out that other brands temp gun would work just as good as exergen, if used correctly (that is the hard part). of course this is only my opinion.

it rained here a little here this morning too, weather getting weird around here this year.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:06 PM   #1813
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Tomorrow will be the first day of the LRP Nitro TC Masters in Luxemburg and Edward's BRB and AAC sets will be in the house
Time to scare some IDM and NOVA Max guys

I hope I still can drive that sucker
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:27 PM   #1814
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
Tomorrow will be the first day of the LRP Nitro TC Masters in Luxemburg and Edward's BRB and AAC sets will be in the house
Time to scare some IDM and NOVA Max guys

I hope I still can drive that sucker

good luck ~~~~

by the way, when was the last time you drive the sucker seriously ?
Old 06-16-2005, 04:25 PM   #1815
Tech Adept

hi stefan,
witch driver use the brb, or aac set in luxemburg??
dieter
4racer is offline   Reply With Quote