Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NovaMax

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 10:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Mine i have to lean a bit like 1 turn in LSN then it can start. Afterwards, i turn it out again while monitoring the temp using carlsen tuning temp (small probe).

Is it advisable to run-in the engine on track using body? So far i've been running the Max w/out body and it stays around 80-90deg celcius.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:56 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nova MAX

Originally posted by jfc_tech
Aiikkkkk, mine was HSN: 4T LSN:1 1/2T MSN:Flat 11o'clock position

someone must have touched it 1st!!!!!! or is it differ from package 2 package??
I wouldn't worry too much...mines different too. LSN=2 1/2 HSN = 5 1/2.

As long as you're running it rich during break in. Don't be afraid to lean it...just do it by every hour on the HSN...run mebbe 2 tanks on track, let it cool, lean another hour, run 1 tank, let it cool...and continue leaning until optimum performance. If in doubt, reset to factory settings and lean from there again.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nova MAX

Originally posted by crashed_1
I wouldn't worry too much...mines different too. LSN=2 1/2 HSN = 5 1/2.

As long as you're running it rich during break in. Don't be afraid to lean it...just do it by every hour on the HSN...run mebbe 2 tanks on track, let it cool, lean another hour, run 1 tank, let it cool...and continue leaning until optimum performance. If in doubt, reset to factory settings and lean from there again.
The manual that comes with ts engine do not tell us the running-in procedure. I believed they (the engine mfg.) presume those who purchase ts engine are pro. and no need to explain further in engine running-in.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:39 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nova MAX

Originally posted by Ravi Nair
The manual that comes with ts engine do not tell us the running-in procedure. I believed they (the engine mfg.) presume those who purchase ts engine are pro. and no need to explain further in engine running-in.
yalorrrrrr. i expected to run-in procedure but not there. lucky my LHS tauke help me...
Old 01-26-2004, 09:17 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nova MAX

Ummm, the manual that comes with the NovaMax is the plain old Novarossi manual !
Old 01-26-2004, 09:22 PM
Tech Prophet

During the breaking-in process I was running my HSN 6turns and LSN 3.5turns.Temp. ws about 50-60C............still need to go another 5tanks.
If you're using the Shark pipe, be careful that the engine needs a richer HSN setting. If not, the engine will overheat.

With a shark inline pipe, I have my needle settings as follows;

HSN: 5.5 turns out
LSN: 2 turns out
MSN: Flat with the carb body

With other pipes like Novarossi or RDLogic ones, the settings are as follows;

HSN: 4.5 turns out
LSN: 3.5 turns out
Old 01-26-2004, 09:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by InitialD
If you're using the Shark pipe, be careful that the engine needs a richer HSN setting. If not, the engine will overheat.

With a shark inline pipe, I have my needle settings as follows;

HSN: 5.5 turns out
LSN: 2 turns out

With other pipes like Novarossi or RDLogic ones, the settings are as follows;

HSN: 4.5 turns out
LSN: 3.5 turns out
while running-in do you give it a full throttle on the starter box for 10 tanks?
Old 01-26-2004, 09:45 PM
Tech Prophet

while running-in do you give it a full throttle on the starter box for 10 tanks?
Well, I don't use the Tx. I switch off the Rx and Tx and manually open the carb with the throttle servo by hand !

Yes, we run it very rich. Each time, we increase the load by letting the wheel spin and let the Centax clutch engage. A tank of fuel will finish in 1.5 to 2 minutes. Be careful not to let the tank run out of fuel. During refueling, it is best to put the glow ignitor on the glowplug before closing the throttle and refueling.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well, I don't use the Tx. I switch off the Rx and Tx and manually open the carb with the throttle servo by hand !

Yes, we run it very rich. Each time, we increase the load by letting the wheel spin and let the Centax clutch engage. A tank of fuel will finish in 1.5 to 2 minutes. Be careful not to let the tank run out of fuel. During refueling, it is best to put the glow ignitor on the glowplug before closing the throttle and refueling.
so do you stop the engine and let it cool down after each tank?
Old 01-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Tech Prophet

so do you stop the engine and let it cool down after each tank?
Nope. The reason being it's more of a hassle to restart the engine.

Like I mention, you can have many different methods of breaking in the engine.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:05 PM
Tech Champion

So the engine must be screaming then...
Old 01-26-2004, 10:10 PM
Tech Prophet

So the engine must be screaming then...
Not really. Like I mention, if you set the HSN very rich, your engine will be 4 stroking.

Just out of curiousity, try turning out 2 full turns out from where you are at the HSN and try running the engine at 100% WOT. The engine will probbaly rev at about 15 to 20k rpm.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:21 PM
Tech Champion

Not really. Like I mention, if you set the HSN very rich, your engine will be 4 stroking.

Just out of curiousity, try turning out 2 full turns out from where you are at the HSN and try running the engine at 100% WOT. The engine will probbaly rev at about 15 to 20k rpm.
i think i got what u meant. i should try this. i can finish my run-in much earlier then. hmmmmmmmm, interesting. i gonna try this. but i already at 8 tanks & on track...is that ok? shouldn't i start to lean to reach that 100 degs mark & above???
Old 01-26-2004, 10:32 PM
Tech Prophet

but i already at 8 tanks & on track...is that ok? shouldn't i start to lean to reach that 100 degs mark & above???
It really depends... Is the piston sleeve still tight? Do you have problems cranking the engine to start? The flywheel gets stuck? Then the engine still needs to break in.

Check the inner sleeve and see if the chrome part of the sleeve where the piston moves is polished. If it is, then the engine is broken in.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:43 PM
Tech Champion

It really depends... Is the piston sleeve still tight? Do you have problems cranking the engine to start? The flywheel gets stuck? Then the engine still needs to break in.

Check the inner sleeve and see if the chrome part of the sleeve where the piston moves is polished. If it is, then the engine is broken in.
wow, do i have to open it...hmmm, this gives me worry. i usually open my engine only after fully "used"...like not performing anymore

the engine can start easily but the flywheel do sometimes can get stuck...hmmm still more tanks then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.