Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IDM Products?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Tech Elite

I have been using Picco engines for a long time and although they were always quick, they always had some problems.

In the beginning it was the rods breaking and later it was the carbs that started leaking when the got temperature.

So, often I had Picco engines for practise and playing, but I always ran Nova based engines in the races for reliability reasons.

Since January I own two IDM EVO3 engines,which have the new carb wiith the insulation on the neck and I am absolutely amazed with these mills.

We had a few nice days here that allowed us to break them in and run about 2 liters through the first engine and last week we went to Italy (Fiorano) for spring practice, where I put another 2.5 liters through the same engine.

Not once did the carb anything unexpected. The engine runs absolutely stable, idle is perfect and she never sings when you come to the pits.

Also, fuel consumption is amazing. I ran close to 6 minutes at 110°C and lots of power.

Picco really have done their homework and Daniele is putting the final touch on the IDM engines.

These facts, I am sure have a lot to do with NovaRossi prices coming down as the do.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well I need to say that if you like what they are now then you will be glad to know that there will be some other stuff coming down the line soon!!!
Old 04-13-2008, 06:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by xspower
Well I need to say that if you like what they are now then you will be glad to know that there will be some other stuff coming down the line soon!!!
Yep, I am also looking forward to the new crankshaft
Old 04-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Tech Regular

No there is still more not just the crank!!!!
Old 04-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by stefan
I have been using Picco engines for a long time and although they were always quick, they always had some problems.

In the beginning it was the rods breaking and later it was the carbs that started leaking when the got temperature.

So, often I had Picco engines for practise and playing, but I always ran Nova based engines in the races for reliability reasons.

Since January I own two IDM EVO3 engines,which have the new carb wiith the insulation on the neck and I am absolutely amazed with these mills.

We had a few nice days here that allowed us to break them in and run about 2 liters through the first engine and last week we went to Italy (Fiorano) for spring practice, where I put another 2.5 liters through the same engine.

Not once did the carb anything unexpected. The engine runs absolutely stable, idle is perfect and she never sings when you come to the pits.

Also, fuel consumption is amazing. I ran close to 6 minutes at 110°C and lots of power.

Picco really have done their homework and Daniele is putting the final touch on the IDM engines.

These facts, I am sure have a lot to do with NovaRossi prices coming down as the do.
Stefan, what carb are talking about?
http://web138.sydney.webhoster.ag/sh...p1r12-evo3-neu

I never had a problem with my P9R carb, as they normally run cooler than .12 it never leaked I guess. I have a JL Evo2 and it runs better with temps above 105ºC, so I think the carb start to leak with a temperature close to 105ºC. When it is hot it tends to "die" as soon as I stop in pit, hot the tuning is very problematic

I tried to lean LSN without sucess, I also set a high idle and didn't work good

With the old carb without insulation, what could be done to stop leaks?
Old 04-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jeff1
Stefan, what carb are talking about?
http://web138.sydney.webhoster.ag/sh...p1r12-evo3-neu

I never had a problem with my P9R carb, as they normally run cooler than .12 it never leaked I guess. I have a JL Evo2 and it runs better with temps above 105ºC, so I think the carb start to leak with a temperature close to 105ºC. When it is hot it tends to "die" as soon as I stop in pit, hot the tuning is very problematic

I tried to lean LSN without sucess, I also set a high idle and didn't work good

With the old carb without insulation, what could be done to stop leaks?
Yep, that's my carb, literally, because I am the webmaster for Fun & Drive and take care of the shop and the EVO 3 pics are from one of my engines.

In the past, you could get lucky with a carb and it worked like a charm, if not, the only alternative was a Nova carb, or a OS carb with the neck machined down.

As you can see, the prices for spares are really low here in germany, so I would just buy the new carb...
Old 04-25-2008, 02:35 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stefan

Just want to share my thought with you here.

Yes, Picco is back in business, but if it wasn't for Serpent, they would have been out of business....
it had all to do with Serpent trusting there Mega engine line to Picco, when Picco had there .21 P7R, and Serpent came with the Mega ZX engines, which both where not really good....

Then the ZX21 DSII and P7R Evo2 came, it was only then that IDM also switched to Picco, and even Stefano Solaroli...

In the .12 engines the same happend, only after the DSII engines came, IDM and JL came with there Picco based engines....

Now Picco is giving Serpent a hard time with there engine line, the very manufacturer which maybe saved them from bankruptcy...
Old 04-25-2008, 03:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by M7H
Just want to share my thought with you here.

Yes, Picco is back in business, but if it wasn't for Serpent, they would have been out of business....
it had all to do with Serpent trusting there Mega engine line to Picco, when Picco had there .21 P7R, and Serpent came with the Mega ZX engines, which both where not really good....

Then the ZX21 DSII and P7R Evo2 came, it was only then that IDM also switched to Picco, and even Stefano Solaroli...

In the .12 engines the same happend, only after the DSII engines came, IDM and JL came with there Picco based engines....

Now Picco is giving Serpent a hard time with there engine line, the very manufacturer which maybe saved them from bankruptcy...

I can speak a bit about this subject. I do not know the dealings with Serpent about the Mega line and I am sure that if anyone would know the truth on if they have been given a hard time we would never know. Picco though would not have been bankrupt they had been producing the engines for Ofna for almost 20 years and there production is quite high on the scale of percentages. The switch from Nova to IDM for Daniele was based on more things other then the fact that the Mega line was or was just coming out. Daniele has been working with them for some time. So I would not say that Serpent saved Picco, I would say that more business is good though by any viewpoint. I can remember when the original Mega line was Picco made and they steered away from them for years and went to Nova and some how Picco managed to stay in business. Ans also remember that the Mega is a crankcase for Serpent only no one else shares that case. And the P7 evo2 was out for quite a while. The Mega's came out and made people say wow Picco may be something to look at.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:06 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Yes, the real truth lies somewhere in between, we will never really know.

Picco also stopped with there car development, which was taken over by Shepherd. I thought (not sure) this was the reason why Serpent went away from Picco, because the started to develop there own car.....

Yes, Serpent has a contractual deal with Picco for the Mega crankcase.
Picco has 1 crankcase machine, currently (exclusively) set for the WASP engine. The word goes that the Mega crankcase mold is broken, and Picco does not want to make a new one.....
Old 04-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

Like you said we will never know. And I guess some things are good not to know either good or bad.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I just wanted to pop back into this thread and make a comment or two. I have now been running the EVO 3 .12 engine for about 9 months now and the engines still amaze. These are the fastest engines that are commercially available. If you are buying your engines the way most racers do (hobby shop) I really think this is the most powerful sedan engine you can get. The power is just ridiculous.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I got the EVO 3 .12 back in Feburary(I think) and I really like this engine. Its fast on the top, has lots of bottom end power. The fuel mileage is just amazing. I would definitely buy another one
Old 04-30-2008, 06:13 AM
Tech Adept

Question? I got the evo2 and evo3 both IDM, great engines! the 2 comes with a suplement on the manual that says "the piston rod need to be replaced each gallon of fuel used" the 3 doen't come with this paper, is still the same rule with the evo3? or is only on the 2. any way i purchase 2 rods for replacing it for 301 race.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I would continue to replace the rod after every gallon of fuel used.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

just browsing through, but was wodering if changing the rod after every gallon is the standard procedure with any engine being raced. Also, which online shops carry the new IDM engines?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.