IDM Products?

Old 11-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default No Hype All Torque

The IDM RCW is impressive! I'm testing the stock version right now and it's just unreal the amount of torque it has. But don't think that's all it has. Top end is strong also but not fully broken in yet so it's not race tuned. Good-bye Novarossi
Old 11-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
The IDM RCW is impressive! I'm testing the stock version right now and it's just unreal the amount of torque it has. But don't think that's all it has. Top end is strong also but not fully broken in yet so it's not race tuned. Good-bye Novarossi
Old 11-13-2011, 05:02 PM
HHH
Tech Regular

I recently got the .12 RCW Factory Tuned and need some input/tips. It is my first IDM. It has 3.5L of 16% through it.

1. The rubber boot/sleeve that covers the sliding part of the throttle leaks at the low speed needle end. This has happened since tank one. The engine idles well and usually some gunk will build up and make a bit of a seal. There is some gunk that has formed below it on the fuel tank. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be worried?

2. The engine runs best between 120C to 130C; or ~250F to 265F. When I stop the engine at this temp, and especially if I run it out of fuel, I have to let it cool down about 5 mins to start again. If I cover the pipe stinger and try starting it, sometimes I can get fuel in and the engine started again, but not quickly. Is this normal? It would make me nervous to race an engine that cannot be re-started easily (say as compared to a Nova). Any tips?

3. I have been running the 2651 pipe and manifold kit. I also got the 2617 pipe only. The 2617 is much larger at the manifold connection. Do I need a special manifold for the 2617? Anyone know the part number? Know of any other manifolds that work?

Thanks for any input.

Sam Craig

Last edited by HHH; 11-14-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by HHH
I recently got the .12 RCW Factory Tuned and need some input/tips. It is my first IDM. It has 3.5L of 16% through it.

1. The rubber boot/sleeve that covers the sliding part of the throttle leaks at the low speed needle end. This has happened since tank one. The engine idles well and usually some gunk will build up and make a bit of a seal. There is some gunk that has formed below it on the fuel tank. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be worried?

2. The engine runs best between 120C to 130C; or ~250F to 265F. When I stop the engine at this temp, and especially if I run it out of fuel, I have to let it cool down about 5 mins to start again. If I cover the pipe stinger and try starting it, sometimes I can get fuel in and the engine started again, but not quickly. Is this normal? It would make me nervous to race an engine that cannot be re-started easily (say as compared to a Nova). Any tips?

3. I have been running the 2651 pipe and manifold kit. I also got the 2617 pipe only. The 2617 is much larger at the manifold connection. Do I need a special manifold for the 2617? Anyone know the part number? Know of any other manifolds that work?

Thanks for any input.

Sam Craig

Sam it is normal for the engine to have the slide boot a little loose. The fuel is also used to lubricate the slide as it moves this is ok. To much is not ok but slightly is no issue.

The temp is a little warm. With the 2651 you will see slightly high temps. It is the nature of the pipeset. If you run the newest pipeset the 2667 you should drop a little temp. Also if you raise the head slightly you might find a slightly lower temp without hurting the performance. Try it and see. Also what plug 6 or 7???

The manifold is also different on the 2617 the part number for the IDM manifold is 202.

When you lower the engine temp a little it will start up fast. I think that it is getting heat soaked.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:19 PM
HHH
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ShepherdAmerica
Sam it is normal for the engine to have the slide boot a little loose. The fuel is also used to lubricate the slide as it moves this is ok. To much is not ok but slightly is no issue.

The temp is a little warm. With the 2651 you will see slightly high temps. It is the nature of the pipeset. If you run the newest pipeset the 2667 you should drop a little temp. Also if you raise the head slightly you might find a slightly lower temp without hurting the performance. Try it and see. Also what plug 6 or 7???

The manifold is also different on the 2617 the part number for the IDM manifold is 202.

When you lower the engine temp a little it will start up fast. I think that it is getting heat soaked.
Thanks for the reply and the input. I am running a 6 glowplug. I am at sea level and the weather here is always hot and humid.

I will give your suggestions a try. I like the engine, but still working out the smaller details. Thanks again.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
+1
Old 01-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

RedRC reports that IDM will be developing Star made motors. That could be interesting.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wingracer
RedRC reports that IDM will be developing Star made motors. That could be interesting.
I think the much more interesting aspect will be to see where this puts him in relation to Shepherd and their Sonic engines.

I can't imagine he'll sell Sirio based engines and run Picco based engines.

On the other hand, he was smart enough to run Picco engines and ATS tires when he became WC, while trying to get his own company off the ground with IDM engines and tires :-)
Old 01-03-2013, 01:54 AM
Tech Lord

Indeed interesting to see but todays car manufacturers are smart enough to keep the choice of engine free.

Regarding his Picco/ATS use on the WC, to me it is the same knowing his IDM products were the same manufacturers.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roelof
Indeed interesting to see but todays car manufacturers are smart enough to keep the choice of engine free.

Regarding his Picco/ATS use on the WC, to me it is the same knowing his IDM products were the same manufacturers.
Hi Roelof,

I think there's more to this. Daniele was a corner stone to the Sonic engine line (Ielasi tuned). I personally don't think this will go on parallel.

As for the IDM products in 2008, a friend of mine was the IDM importer for Germany at the time and he didn't sell one engine more because of the WC title.

Most people didn't know the stuff was the same and those who knew asked why they should buy the more expensive IDM stuff when he was running Picco / ATS.

I personally will wait for the next announcement on Red Rc....
Old 01-03-2013, 04:56 AM
Tech Lord

Yes, give the toy another name and apperence and people are thinking it is a compleete different product....

I think an own line and puting the name on another line as tuner is possible, JP has done it als also Collari in the past but also not to mention Murnan with his own engine line and tuned engines.
And what is telling IDM tuned actually? Has he even touched them or is his tuning just programmed in the production line?

Using the same specs they can even call it Scheafer tuning
Old 01-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hummm... Always liked my IDM's, but couldn't understand why Shepherd didn't partner with IDM rather than bring a competing Sonic forward. Seems like a win-win gone to waste.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Tech Initiate

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5578719&type=1
To see pics of the new IDM engines