Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

JL Racing .12

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

had a pretty bad fuel leak around the base of the carb / front of the engine this weekend. fuel was also going onto the brakes of the car.

is the sign of a leaking front bearing? i have my carb sealed alla round the bottom and pinch bolt.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrgsr
had a pretty bad fuel leak around the base of the carb / front of the engine this weekend. fuel was also going onto the brakes of the car.

is the sign of a leaking front bearing? i have my carb sealed alla round the bottom and pinch bolt.
Your HSN housing is probably not tight enough against the carburetor, causing it to leak, I have seen a lot of this happened, I suggest you crank it down!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RANDY SMOOTH
will the lrp glow plugs work with the red dot, from what i was told the
lrp motor are picco base motors and plugs
anyone
Old 03-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RANDY SMOOTH
anyone
Yes, they are a perfect fit. Unfortunately, the LRP plugs are not very good. The sometimes only last one tank.

I know a couple of LRP team drivers and they all use Sirio or Picco plugs....
Old 03-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stefan
Yes, they are a perfect fit. Unfortunately, the LRP plugs are not very good. The sometimes only last one tank.

I know a couple of LRP team drivers and they all use Sirio or Picco plugs....
LRP plugs are not very good - that's almost good to hear, I thought I was the only one having problems with them!
Old 03-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

thanks guys
Old 03-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
Your HSN housing is probably not tight enough against the carburetor, causing it to leak, I have seen a lot of this happened, I suggest you crank it down!
Hi Sam
The HSN housing is tight and does not move with force. Im using a mates spare block/ carb and bearings that have had less than 2 litres thru it so ill see how it goes. I t hink it was te front bearing leaking.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would have to say that I am sure that the front bearing is not a issue with leaking. As long as the seal is in place or the shield is not bad you will have no issues with a leaking front bearing ever causing a tune issue. The front bearing can be bad and have a problem with tuning but speaking about the leaking. Think about all the .21 engines that are run on road. They use shields not seals. You can see daylight through the bearing if you look up. The seal from the front is caused by the tight tolerance from the crankshaft in the case as well as the rotation of the bearings and inner retainer. It is moving so fast that there are no leaks. I have seen a bad rear bearing cause needle problems though.And also check the carb for air leaks. This is a cause as well.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just as xspower just said, front bearings are more likely not to leak, check your fuel line, you might have a pinhole that you did not see, I saw your post in another thread that you have an issue regarding bubbles in your fuel line, well that could be your problem.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Tech Elite

yeh ill suss it out and see what happens
when i had the engine in the rrr it was fine so yeh maybe it was pin hole leak in the fuel or something...
Old 03-25-2008, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrgsr
yeh ill suss it out and see what happens
when i had the engine in the rrr it was fine so yeh maybe it was pin hole leak in the fuel or something...
That's what you get for switching to the Dark Side!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Picco carbs leak guys !!!!!!! Out of 10 Picco's your going to find 3 with a split carb body that will leak and not tune...... This has been an issue with Picco for years and years..... Nobody has been quick enough to catch it tho !!!!! The seam between the composite carb body and the metal end bell is prone to leaking..you need to seal this seem with JB weld or sealant of some kind......... every Picco any of us run has this seem sealed and all our Picco's tune as easy as any other motor............ If you dont seal this seam the motors can be difficult to tune, as the airleak acts much like a Phantom leak..it will only become apparent when the motors gets fully heat soaked,,,,,,you will chase a tune forever till you seal this seem !!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:09 AM
Tech Adept

Maximo, I have run PICCO engines for 3 years in a row, from the first .12 with the purple head, to a Mega ZX -12, Mega DS II ZX .21 to PICCO P3, P7 off road engine and to the P9 R on-road engine and never encountered a carb leaking problem, you must have been doing something very wrong to create the leak, as msgsr said it did not leak on his RRR and only started to leak when he transfered his engine to his new car, that tells you that it got to be a problem somewhere else.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hello
Maximo, I have run PICCO engines for 3 years in a row, from the first .12 with the purple head, to a Mega ZX -12, Mega DS II ZX .21 to PICCO P3, P7 off road engine and to the P9 R on-road engine and never encountered a carb leaking problem, you must have been doing something very wrong to create the leak, as msgsr said it did not leak on his RRR and only started to leak when he transfered his engine to his new car, that tells you that it got to be a problem somewhere else.
Trust me mate..I am doing nothing wrong LOL !!!!! You never know who you are dealing with on the internet, but I can assure you I am more then qualified to diagnose a leaky carb body !!! I have many customers running modified Picco's and we have had to seal the bodies of a pretty high number of Picco carbs.... The difference between sealed and un-sealed is dramatic to say the least...

Now its still winter where I live..but within the next 4 weeks I hopefully will be able to run some nitro...When I do I will make a video of what these Picco's run like before and after I seal the carb body... I think a few of you are going to be eating some Crow on this one !!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Any pics of where in particular and how you'd recommend sealing it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.