Search
Like Tree1Likes

JL Racing .12

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
I broke in my motor today finally at the races. I started off with the needles how they came. It was able to start on these settings. Heres what I ran.

picco p6tc plug
20% nitro / 10% oil
skyline vr12 plus pipe
temps 86F / humidity 40%

First tank It wasnt really able to idle so I just used this to help break it in and just kept blipping throttle to keep it alive.

Next tank , went to cyrul method as I didnt really have time to play around. Did about 3-4 tanks like that. Then 1-2 tanks pretty rich on the track. Afterwards I started leaning for each qualifier.

I left the HSN nice and rich , about 1 turn rich over stock. HSN had to lean it about 3-4 hours. Still was boggy , played with idle a bit and that didnt seem to help any. But either way down the straight the motor was picking up some nice speed on its rich settings.

Im running the mugen mtx-4 as well , 18/24 gearing & stock spurs. I think temps were reaching around 180F and I got 5 laps over the rest of the field with a still very rich acting motor.

Everything is great , started up like no problem. Just installed the motor and clutch in the car , primed it and 1 second later it was on.

The only problem ive seen and im not sure where this is coming from yet. But its dumping out oil live ive never seen. I had pretty much a full paper towels full of oil/fluid on my table after maybe half a tank. I had to keep dumping it. Then when going back to normal settings it still was litterally spraying oil around the carb area. I could see it flying up at the filter , perhaps it was even coming out the filter. But didnt have time to really inspect it and just raced. Otherwise it did well. The other thing was the lsn was so stiff I could barely move it. But that doesnt effect tuning or anything.

Also have a friend with the motor and it seems his is very oily too. His car is so dirty though its hard to tell if it was already there.

All in all , things are going well so far. Im going to be playing with it in a few days , get it fully broken in and ready for next months race. Im going to try to figure out where its leaking from. But im sure as it leans the problem will go away anyhow.
The reason why your LSN is so stiff as you mentioned above is your set screw on the linkage ball/UNI ball in the carburetor was too tight which causes the LSN housing to deform a little bit resulting in a very hard to turn (the LSN), try loosening it (assuming the housing did not collapse) you will see what I mean.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
The reason why your LSN is so stiff as you mentioned above is your set screw on the linkage ball/UNI ball in the carburetor was too tight which causes the LSN housing to deform a little bit resulting in a very hard to turn (the LSN), try loosening it (assuming the housing did not collapse) you will see what I mean.
Ohh great. No tighter than any other motor Ive done, but sounds logical. Hope I didnt just screw up the housing.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Champion

Expecting the motors to arrive soon, can't wait to ship out all the pre-orders.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Expecting the motors to arrive soon, can't wait to ship out all the pre-orders.
I'm sorry but what motor is that? Got my curiosity way up.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rskoncepts
I'm sorry but what motor is that? Got my curiosity way up.
What's up Rawn? it's the JL 12's
Old 05-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks Sam!
Old 05-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Team Kamekazi, when u say new motors , its still the same JLR right? just they are selling like crazy? or is there already a new JLR type
Old 05-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rcrevolution
Team Kamekazi, when u say new motors , its still the same JLR right? just they are selling like crazy? or is there already a new JLR type
Maybe
Old 05-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Maybe
Oh, you're so rotten
Old 05-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rskoncepts
Thanks Sam!
How come all hobby shops in US owned by a Sam ( Team Kamikase, Raceday Hobbies)?
Old 05-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

sam = super automated machines

they arent real people
Old 05-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Ok guys. Had a rough day with the jlr. After moving on from break-in and trying to tune this motor. It just wouldnt come around. I have the vr12 plus pipe , piccp p6tc medium plug and running 20% wildcat race with 10% oil.

Was on a big track and it was ok at first , but wasnt smoking at all down the straight. Wasnt really hot or anything. Low-end was really boggy and rich but wasnt horrible on the track.

The motor was completely soaked though , spewing oil out and has been since break-in. So much so during the cyrul method of break-in Id see a stream shoot out at full throttle.

So I had some friends try and tune it. After a little it came around some but it was acting odd , not holding a tune , got to 250F , no real smoke trail.

Then we decided to try a mega pipe. First lap and as soon as we hit throttle down the straight it acted like a raped ape. But then bout halfway down the straight acted funny. After lots of tries and tuning it only seemed to get worse. Took the carb out , sealed that up. Went back out and the car could barely run. Was running ok , then would just shut down.

Ended up being a really bad day for it. Was pretty down and not sure what to do with it now. Im thinking the front bearing is bad or the carb is messed up. I want to get this motor running right. The carb inlet was also really wet....

Any suggestions? I had this idea it might be my gas tank too or the pipe was running only one spring , perhaps on turns it was coming loose? But power wise the mega pipe seems to be the way to go. Like day and night difference.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry about your luck Artificial-I. I've been thinking about getting a red dot myself because I see that alot of people are running these engines. I wanted it as a back up to my OS TZ, but I'm still a little sketchy about it...I don't really have any suggestions for you but I just hope that your engine comes around...Good luck and keep us posted...
Old 05-20-2007, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah hopefully ill get it sorted out. Had like 3 people tuning it. Im going to try some fresh fuel, some different plugs, new gas tank, different clutch setting and pipe and see how that fairs.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi Artifical

I am too running the engine on the weekend, tho my engine is not as bad as your mention, I manage to win my 30mins final with it but as you said the engine has lots of oil around carby area where I cant find the leaks and the engine is really bogging down into 10mins of the final(engine is not run that hot), have riching bottom and top end and I only can drive conservatively to avoid the lean bog again and was about 1s slower per lap.

In 5mins qualify it was no problem at all engine run strong and can hang with any fast motor out here.

I also just need help to solve the leak and lean bog issues as well

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Ok guys. Had a rough day with the jlr. After moving on from break-in and trying to tune this motor. It just wouldnt come around. I have the vr12 plus pipe , piccp p6tc medium plug and running 20% wildcat race with 10% oil.

Was on a big track and it was ok at first , but wasnt smoking at all down the straight. Wasnt really hot or anything. Low-end was really boggy and rich but wasnt horrible on the track.

The motor was completely soaked though , spewing oil out and has been since break-in. So much so during the cyrul method of break-in Id see a stream shoot out at full throttle.

So I had some friends try and tune it. After a little it came around some but it was acting odd , not holding a tune , got to 250F , no real smoke trail.

Then we decided to try a mega pipe. First lap and as soon as we hit throttle down the straight it acted like a raped ape. But then bout halfway down the straight acted funny. After lots of tries and tuning it only seemed to get worse. Took the carb out , sealed that up. Went back out and the car could barely run. Was running ok , then would just shut down.

Ended up being a really bad day for it. Was pretty down and not sure what to do with it now. Im thinking the front bearing is bad or the carb is messed up. I want to get this motor running right. The carb inlet was also really wet....

Any suggestions? I had this idea it might be my gas tank too or the pipe was running only one spring , perhaps on turns it was coming loose? But power wise the mega pipe seems to be the way to go. Like day and night difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.