R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2007, 09:59 PM   #361
Tech Champion
 
Team Kamikaze's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 我的名字是沈先生。我是中国人, 居住美国
Posts: 8,868
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
I broke in my motor today finally at the races. I started off with the needles how they came. It was able to start on these settings. Heres what I ran.

picco p6tc plug
20% nitro / 10% oil
skyline vr12 plus pipe
temps 86F / humidity 40%

First tank It wasnt really able to idle so I just used this to help break it in and just kept blipping throttle to keep it alive.

Next tank , went to cyrul method as I didnt really have time to play around. Did about 3-4 tanks like that. Then 1-2 tanks pretty rich on the track. Afterwards I started leaning for each qualifier.

I left the HSN nice and rich , about 1 turn rich over stock. HSN had to lean it about 3-4 hours. Still was boggy , played with idle a bit and that didnt seem to help any. But either way down the straight the motor was picking up some nice speed on its rich settings.

Im running the mugen mtx-4 as well , 18/24 gearing & stock spurs. I think temps were reaching around 180F and I got 5 laps over the rest of the field with a still very rich acting motor.

Everything is great , started up like no problem. Just installed the motor and clutch in the car , primed it and 1 second later it was on.

The only problem ive seen and im not sure where this is coming from yet. But its dumping out oil live ive never seen. I had pretty much a full paper towels full of oil/fluid on my table after maybe half a tank. I had to keep dumping it. Then when going back to normal settings it still was litterally spraying oil around the carb area. I could see it flying up at the filter , perhaps it was even coming out the filter. But didnt have time to really inspect it and just raced. Otherwise it did well. The other thing was the lsn was so stiff I could barely move it. But that doesnt effect tuning or anything.

Also have a friend with the motor and it seems his is very oily too. His car is so dirty though its hard to tell if it was already there.

All in all , things are going well so far. Im going to be playing with it in a few days , get it fully broken in and ready for next months race. Im going to try to figure out where its leaking from. But im sure as it leans the problem will go away anyhow.
The reason why your LSN is so stiff as you mentioned above is your set screw on the linkage ball/UNI ball in the carburetor was too tight which causes the LSN housing to deform a little bit resulting in a very hard to turn (the LSN), try loosening it (assuming the housing did not collapse) you will see what I mean.
__________________
Home of the Kamikaze Driver's Development Program = guaranteed podium finish
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies Inc.
Follow us here on Facebook!
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:17 PM   #362
Moderator
 
Artificial-I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rurouni Kenshin
Posts: 3,459
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
The reason why your LSN is so stiff as you mentioned above is your set screw on the linkage ball/UNI ball in the carburetor was too tight which causes the LSN housing to deform a little bit resulting in a very hard to turn (the LSN), try loosening it (assuming the housing did not collapse) you will see what I mean.
Ohh great. No tighter than any other motor Ive done, but sounds logical. Hope I didnt just screw up the housing.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:23 AM   #363
Tech Champion
 
Team Kamikaze's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 我的名字是沈先生。我是中国人, 居住美国
Posts: 8,868
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Expecting the motors to arrive soon, can't wait to ship out all the pre-orders.
__________________
Home of the Kamikaze Driver's Development Program = guaranteed podium finish
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies Inc.
Follow us here on Facebook!
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:19 AM   #364
Tech Elite
 
rskoncepts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 2,672
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
Expecting the motors to arrive soon, can't wait to ship out all the pre-orders.
I'm sorry but what motor is that? Got my curiosity way up.
rskoncepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #365
Tech Champion
 
Team Kamikaze's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 我的名字是沈先生。我是中国人, 居住美国
Posts: 8,868
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskoncepts
I'm sorry but what motor is that? Got my curiosity way up.
What's up Rawn? it's the JL 12's
__________________
Home of the Kamikaze Driver's Development Program = guaranteed podium finish
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies Inc.
Follow us here on Facebook!
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:29 PM   #366
Tech Elite
 
rskoncepts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 2,672
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Sam!
rskoncepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:31 PM   #367
Tech Master
 
rcrevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Somewhere Delicious
Posts: 1,281
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution
Default

Team Kamekazi, when u say new motors , its still the same JLR right? just they are selling like crazy? or is there already a new JLR type
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:37 PM   #368
Tech Champion
 
Team Kamikaze's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 我的名字是沈先生。我是中国人, 居住美国
Posts: 8,868
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrevolution
Team Kamekazi, when u say new motors , its still the same JLR right? just they are selling like crazy? or is there already a new JLR type
Maybe
__________________
Home of the Kamikaze Driver's Development Program = guaranteed podium finish
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies Inc.
Follow us here on Facebook!
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #369
Tech Elite
 
rskoncepts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 2,672
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
Maybe
Oh, you're so rotten
rskoncepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:08 PM   #370
Tech Adept
 
vc05hdt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Morley,Perth W.A.
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskoncepts
Thanks Sam!
How come all hobby shops in US owned by a Sam ( Team Kamikase, Raceday Hobbies)?
vc05hdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #371
Tech Master
 
rcrevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Somewhere Delicious
Posts: 1,281
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution
Default

sam = super automated machines


they arent real people
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:01 PM   #372
Moderator
 
Artificial-I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rurouni Kenshin
Posts: 3,459
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I
Default

Ok guys. Had a rough day with the jlr. After moving on from break-in and trying to tune this motor. It just wouldnt come around. I have the vr12 plus pipe , piccp p6tc medium plug and running 20% wildcat race with 10% oil.

Was on a big track and it was ok at first , but wasnt smoking at all down the straight. Wasnt really hot or anything. Low-end was really boggy and rich but wasnt horrible on the track.

The motor was completely soaked though , spewing oil out and has been since break-in. So much so during the cyrul method of break-in Id see a stream shoot out at full throttle.

So I had some friends try and tune it. After a little it came around some but it was acting odd , not holding a tune , got to 250F , no real smoke trail.

Then we decided to try a mega pipe. First lap and as soon as we hit throttle down the straight it acted like a raped ape. But then bout halfway down the straight acted funny. After lots of tries and tuning it only seemed to get worse. Took the carb out , sealed that up. Went back out and the car could barely run. Was running ok , then would just shut down.

Ended up being a really bad day for it. Was pretty down and not sure what to do with it now. Im thinking the front bearing is bad or the carb is messed up. I want to get this motor running right. The carb inlet was also really wet....

Any suggestions? I had this idea it might be my gas tank too or the pipe was running only one spring , perhaps on turns it was coming loose? But power wise the mega pipe seems to be the way to go. Like day and night difference.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:20 PM   #373
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ATX
Posts: 142
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Sorry about your luck Artificial-I. I've been thinking about getting a red dot myself because I see that alot of people are running these engines. I wanted it as a back up to my OS TZ, but I'm still a little sketchy about it...I don't really have any suggestions for you but I just hope that your engine comes around...Good luck and keep us posted...
DaNNy671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:23 PM   #374
Moderator
 
Artificial-I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rurouni Kenshin
Posts: 3,459
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I
Default

Yeah hopefully ill get it sorted out. Had like 3 people tuning it. Im going to try some fresh fuel, some different plugs, new gas tank, different clutch setting and pipe and see how that fairs.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:31 PM   #375
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 62
Default

Hi Artifical

I am too running the engine on the weekend, tho my engine is not as bad as your mention, I manage to win my 30mins final with it but as you said the engine has lots of oil around carby area where I cant find the leaks and the engine is really bogging down into 10mins of the final(engine is not run that hot), have riching bottom and top end and I only can drive conservatively to avoid the lean bog again and was about 1s slower per lap.

In 5mins qualify it was no problem at all engine run strong and can hang with any fast motor out here.

I also just need help to solve the leak and lean bog issues as well




Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Ok guys. Had a rough day with the jlr. After moving on from break-in and trying to tune this motor. It just wouldnt come around. I have the vr12 plus pipe , piccp p6tc medium plug and running 20% wildcat race with 10% oil.

Was on a big track and it was ok at first , but wasnt smoking at all down the straight. Wasnt really hot or anything. Low-end was really boggy and rich but wasnt horrible on the track.

The motor was completely soaked though , spewing oil out and has been since break-in. So much so during the cyrul method of break-in Id see a stream shoot out at full throttle.

So I had some friends try and tune it. After a little it came around some but it was acting odd , not holding a tune , got to 250F , no real smoke trail.

Then we decided to try a mega pipe. First lap and as soon as we hit throttle down the straight it acted like a raped ape. But then bout halfway down the straight acted funny. After lots of tries and tuning it only seemed to get worse. Took the carb out , sealed that up. Went back out and the car could barely run. Was running ok , then would just shut down.

Ended up being a really bad day for it. Was pretty down and not sure what to do with it now. Im thinking the front bearing is bad or the carb is messed up. I want to get this motor running right. The carb inlet was also really wet....

Any suggestions? I had this idea it might be my gas tank too or the pipe was running only one spring , perhaps on turns it was coming loose? But power wise the mega pipe seems to be the way to go. Like day and night difference.
NeRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc Stuff Much More, Xray, GS Racing,Peak Racing Pro Models R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 05-27-2007 09:41 AM
FS: Savage hop-ups.THS.Trinity.Hardcore Racing.Robinson Racing.HPI.Hitec factory racer R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 10 06-23-2006 05:17 AM
2006 Hobbytown Oshkosh Off Road Racing Season Opener FREE RACING!!! Zac R Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 18 05-23-2006 11:37 PM
HMS Racing - Sole distributor Nova TOP, REX & JP Racing engines hmsracing Malaysian R/C Racers 58 03-15-2005 09:40 PM
Racing Model Sailboats - Strategy and Racing at its Finest rcinsight Web Links 0 01-08-2005 01:49 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:01 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net