R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 05-13-2006, 07:41 AM   #16
Tech Elite

When all is said and done, the consumer will decide based on how the engine works in his car, on the track, with his driving style. We have a lot of experience with electric motors and dynos. Any lectric racer will agree that the dyno is only a tool and that what looks goodon the dyno mayor may not translate into the same on-track performance.

These results were rushed to give people an idea of what to expect. Further tests using the suggestions (and expected standards) in this thread will be conducted and posted on Team Orion's site.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:36 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano
If I am reading the same sentence as you, it says "up to 40%" so that means you can use anything up to 40% but it doesn't have to be 40%.
Got it. Thanks! It's funny how I can miss things like that some times.
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4

Last edited by rmdhawaii; 05-13-2006 at 12:41 PM.
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:54 AM   #18
Tech Regular

It's pretty hard to get a standard for dyno testing the engines. There are just too many things to control. At the end of the day running all the pipes, plugs, head clearances, and fuels will only show you what the best combination is for that location and that weather for that day.

It's great that the manufacturers are finally running their motors on a dyno that gives reasonable results. I can think of several engines that advertised over 1.5 Hp that aren't even close.

At the end of the day, these engines aren't computer controlled and they won't repeat the same numbers day after day. All we can do is look at the powerband and go from there. Sometimes area under the curve is more important than peak numbers.

I'm very interested in the relatively low head temps in the run that was posted.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:11 PM   #19

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default NitroDyne Systems testing

I finally have my CRF sample in my hands. I will get busy and test this engine and report as soon as I have my results.

I have inspected the engine and I can say I am impressed so far with the workmanship and all that I have seen.

Stay tuned....
mxwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:37 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxwrench
I finally have my CRF sample in my hands. I will get busy and test this engine and report as soon as I have my results.

I have inspected the engine and I can say I am impressed so far with the workmanship and all that I have seen.

Stay tuned....
What standards are you going to use with this motor??? Are you going to dyno it past 42.000 rpm's??? Are you going to use 20% nitro and a Nova Pipe??? These things are important to know... I believe your other .12 dyno tests were done using a certain standard guide lines... If you do use 30-40 percent nitro and there pipe, please info the public that you did and if you can, run two tests... One with there pipe and whatever nitro % and the other using what the average Joe would use/run with this motor or the standard that you always test with... Looking forward to the results.

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:11 PM   #21

Quote:
What standards are you going to use with this motor??? Are you going to dyno it past 42.000 rpm's??? Are you going to use 20% nitro and a Nova Pipe??? These things are important to know... I believe your other .12 dyno tests were done using a certain standard guide lines... If you do use 30-40 percent nitro and there pipe, please info the public that you did and if you can, run two tests... One with there pipe and whatever nitro % and the other using what the average Joe would use/run with this motor or the standard that you always test with... Looking forward to the results.

RC_Alan
RC_Alan,

I will test this engine as I have tested all the other engines in my database. Except in this engines case I will let it rev past 42,000 rpm (due to the manufacturers claims of extremely high rpm capabilities).
If you look carefully in all my dyno runs, I include the fuel type and % used also I include the glow plug and pipe used during testing.

I will usually test each engine with a variety of pipes and only display the run that I feel made the best power.

In the Orion CRF's case, Orion does not have their exhaust pipes ready to send yet, therefore I am stuck using what is currently available on the market. When Orion sends me thier CRF specific pipes, I will retest the engine and repost the results to my website.

BK
Old 05-15-2006, 07:15 PM   #22

And here you go:

http://www.nitrodynesystems.com/Orion12CRF.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Team Orion CRF Wasp Rev X-Dyno results-orion12crf.jpg  
Old 05-15-2006, 07:22 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Is this engine available yet? where can I buy it? All the dyno results look good, but I need to see it in action in order to believe.
silverM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Is this engine available yet? where can I buy it? All the dyno results look good, but I need to see it in action in order to believe.
The engines should be available very soon, They are in the states now and ready for shipping.

BK

Last edited by mxwrench; 05-16-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:14 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm really disappointed that it's taking so long.
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4

Last edited by mxwrench; 05-16-2006 at 08:28 AM.
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:36 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

What was the difference in the two dyno runs? One was a tad bit higher than the other. Either way, we're talking big power in a box stock 12. I would love to see how that ninja compares.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #27

Quote:
What was the difference in the two dyno runs? One was a tad bit higher than the other. Either way, we're talking big power in a box stock 12. I would love to see how that ninja compares.
The only differences between the two runs was a slight difference in hsn tuning.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:29 AM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Mxwrench, I know this would be asking alot... Is it possible to test CFR with a Mega/Picco pipe used on the ZX12 motor if you have one laying around??? From what I understood, the CFR was built around the Mega ZX12 design... It could be possible to see a more linear power pull vice the one that was tested with a Nova pipe... I'm sure you have alot more things to do, but pipes do make a big difference and since the CFR pipe is not available yet and the Mega pipe is...

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:52 AM   #29

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Was that two different dynameters? Im impressed the results were 1.15 and 1.15 on two different tests. Congrats on a well designed dyno that seems to pull the same results from on system to another. In real world dynos thats almost unheard of.

But after seeing those results im quite impressed. Cant wait to see these on the track. Whats the retail price looking at USD $280-300 range correct?

Also it seems the motor doesnt need anything CRF to perform as well if not even better in some aspects. I was worried about this and thought it could perform poorly without an all CRF setup.

Anyone got any dates for when these will truly show up or are they already supposed to be here? Also any videos of this thing on the dyno. MXwrench how many dynos did you pull? How many pipes have you used etc?

I noticed before in a few dynos you used the rdlogic II and now the novarossi. I wouldnt mind seeing quite a few dynos on this motor with all sorts of setups.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:57 AM   #30
Tech Adept

RC Alan, the CRF engine is a totally new design, it has nothing to do with the Mega. Forget any previous engine design you have seen before
Nano is offline   Reply With Quote