Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Adjusting Clutch Guide for Newbies >

Adjusting Clutch Guide for Newbies

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Robert Ronas

Adjusting Clutch Guide for Newbies

Old 06-13-2024, 03:55 PM
Tech Adept

Default Adjusting Clutch Guide for Newbies

I've been searching everywhere trying to find some good material how to adjust the clutch. I can't find anything that goes into detail what all the different setting on the clutch do and scenarios to avoid. Something similar to the tuning bible. Any advice would be appreciated and I'm not looking for specific settings but just general info on how the clutch is adjust.

For reference, I have a MTX7r with a os t1204. This is my first nitro car and help is much needed. The locals guys have been help but I haven't gotten a good explanation from them.
Old 06-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just watch all the youtube videos on clutch setup and choose a setup to start with. Change the setup over if necessary: we all learned it by trial and error, but you will need all the serious clutch tools to make it work properly....
Old 06-15-2024, 02:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

G
Check out the clutch tutorial on the RC Target website. Its at the bottom of there main page under videos .Very good info
Old 06-15-2024, 05:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The youtube link.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_con...ature=emb_logo
davidl and TeamCarnage like this.
Old 06-17-2024, 09:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Just watch all the youtube videos on clutch setup and choose a setup to start with. Change the setup over if necessary: we all learned it by trial and error, but you will need all the serious clutch tools to make it work properly....
my engineering doesn't allow me to go through the trial and error method. I like having a plan and then test the affect. I material the others have shared was what I was looking. I've been taught how to set all the gaps and spring tension but I hadn't gotten a explain of what changing all the gaps do. I wasn't looking for particular settings because I know it's it all comes down to track conditions and driver preference.
Old 06-17-2024, 10:23 AM
Tech Lord

To make the clutch smooth:
- softer spring
- less spring tension
- less gap

To make the clutch more aggressive:
- harder spring
- bigger gap
- more spring tension.
Old 06-18-2024, 11:11 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof
To make the clutch smooth:
- softer spring
- less spring tension
- less gap

To make the clutch more aggressive:
- harder spring
- bigger gap
- more spring tension.
Thank you for that. I will keep that in mind.

Could recommend what to try? I feel the clutch initial bite is too aggressive/grabs too early for my skill level. My assumption is that I want to play with the gaps. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.