Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine sealent

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

how do you unseal the backplate? heat gun?
Old 07-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpalessi

you obviously never used my stuff. N ive seen brand new hi dollar engines have air leaks out of the box.

P.S. smearing silicone sealant on a nitro engine is crazy considering nitro eats silicone sealant then you end up sucking melted silicone through your engine. but its all good,,, if making silicone sandwiches for your engine to eat works for you then more power to ya. I KNOW MY STUFF WORKS.
I've been racing nitro for 11 years and mechanic for 16 years and I know if you have an air leak then an o-ring or something is bad.Covering your engine with sealant is not the way to fix things.I like to fix my engines the right way so I don't have engine problems.I've never had an air leak in any engine unless something was bad.
I'm not trying to say your product doesn't work,I'm just saying if things are done right then you shouldn't need to seal it with anything.And if you decide to apply sealant then putting it where its supposed to seal seems like a better idea than putting it on the surface where it can be torn loose.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rimontes
how do you unseal the backplate? heat gun?
I would make sure the piston is top dead center before trying to take off. Some engines have clearance issues and you can snap the piston skirt off.

Onces the piston is up top, pull that sucker off. Get mean with it if you have too.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by xxxntwv
I've been racing nitro for 11 years and mechanic for 16 years and I know if you have an air leak then an o-ring or something is bad.Covering your engine with sealant is not the way to fix things.I like to fix my engines the right way so I don't have engine problems.I've never had an air leak in any engine unless something was bad.
I'm not trying to say your product doesn't work,I'm just saying if things are done right then you shouldn't need to seal it with anything.And if you decide to apply sealant then putting it where its supposed to seal seems like a better idea than putting it on the surface where it can be torn loose.
I agree, I used to seal my engines with Lucky 7, but for the last year or so, I've not used any. I've never had an issue due to an airleak. The o-rings are there for a reason. I never take m engines apart from the time i get them. If I need to do a rebuild, I'l get new o-rings for it.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Onces the piston is up top, pull that sucker off. Get mean with it if you have too.[/QUOTE]

I'll try that. i just purchased a sealed engine and i'm trying to remove the backplate so i can clean the internals before break in process. backplate is stuck with the sealant.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I have used a small thin flat head screwdriver on many occasions and no problems. Just wedge it into the crack where the backplate meats the case and twist gently. Make sure you go slow as not to scratch the metal and dont push it all the way into the seal as not to damage the O-ring
Old 07-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

its called preventative maintenance.
take a dry ball of your favorite rtv/silicone and throw it in a cup of nitro overnight n see what happens. most rtv's wont even dry when used like a gasket on a nitro engine..... gasket sandwiches...
Old 07-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Back when I worked for GM, they made a brand of there own call GMS. That was some good stuff. It was the best against oils and chemicals but I never tried it on nitro.
I may just dip my engine in roofing tar before this weekend. That should sealer up.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

take a dry ball of your favorite rtv/silicone and throw it in a cup of nitro overnight n see what happens. most rtv's wont even dry when used like a gasket on a nitro engine..... gasket sandwiches...
I think you've gotten off topic here a little.Nobodies is saying that rtv is better,only another option.If you use the ultra copper or orange they work fine.I personally never seal an engine.And to me its not preventative maintenance but instead a temporary fix until you can dissasemble the engine and find the real problem.P.S. get something to eat so you'll quit talking about sandwiches.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

im not off topic at all. silicone is NOT nitro safe, and youre recommending it to ppl over using Lucky 7 sealant which was formulated exactly for its purpose. and you keep insisting air leaks are sourced from another problem. To be honest i think you have a little to much faith in our nitro engine manufactures. these engine are massed produced with little to no quality control, and some manufacture have extremely poor machining tolerances. sure some individual engines prob dont need to be sealed but for $5 a year on a bottle why take that chance. Hence "preventative maintenance" OR you can do nothing n hope you never have a prob. OR you can do it wrong n feed your engine silicone sandwiches.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Thumbs up sealant

Using silicone sealants is for "assurance" purposes, two seals are always better than one. I use Three Bond 1211, flows good and it's easy to remove.
http://www.threebond.co.jp/en/produc.../1200list.html
Old 07-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

im not off topic at all. silicone is NOT nitro safe, and youre recommending it to ppl over using Lucky 7 sealant which was formulated exactly for its purpose. and you keep insisting air leaks are sourced from another problem. To be honest i think you have a little to much faith in our nitro engine manufactures. these engine are massed produced with little to no quality control, and some manufacture have extremely poor machining tolerances. sure some individual engines prob dont need to be sealed but for $5 a year on a bottle why take that chance. Hence "preventative maintenance" OR you can do nothing n hope you never have a prob. OR you can do it wrong n feed your engine silicone sandwiches.

+1 Well said...
Old 07-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

joe may suck but the lucky7 products are good

SUKAFOO
Old 07-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

OOOHHH i like experiments!!!!!!!!! good stuff JP.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:09 AM
Tech Master

I'm glad you think your product is good and that engine manufacturers are wrong for using o-rings instead of lucky 7.Anything I've ever read about sealing an engine says to use O2 sensor safe rtv but I guess they are all wrong and you are the only one that knows anything about sealing an engine.My point is that if the O-rings and front bearing are good you need no sealant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.