Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree13Likes

"the engine break in bible"

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 09:32 PM
Tech Adept

Does every engine can use this method? I was breaking in an OS like this but LHS told me my new Alpha has to break-in differently.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by meis
Does every engine can use this method? I was breaking in an OS like this but LHS told me my new Alpha has to break-in differently.
most all the same , alphas are TIGHT so temps will need to be adjusted to 250 ish
Old 05-08-2014, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by meis

This is how ryan lutz break in a alpha ... Great video ...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ5BsceGVbo
Old 05-09-2014, 12:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

[deleted]

Last edited by HomicidalBunny; 05-09-2014 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Change of opinion
Old 06-29-2014, 06:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

looking for some imput on the advanced engine break in vid on youtube i came across. fairly new to engine break ins and tuning. any info would be great on this method.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Ryan's video isn't bad but preheat the engine with heat gun to 200F before starting for the first time. Will make first start much easier preheating.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by houston
alphas are TIGHT
Can vouch for this, my Alpha was fairly tight too, actually, today was the first day ive started it without having to unjam from TDC during starting, and one other thing I've found, is the more fuel you put through it, the more you need to lean off to keep the temps up. Once the temps started to stabilize, i noticed the engine starting to free up a bit too, so guess it just goes to show, that like tuning, the engine will tell you whats going on with it.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Question...

It appears there are two different break in methods in the original post from Monty, I was wondering which was more preferred, the idle on the box for three sessions of a couple min while cooling in between, or the run it on the ground from the start method? It's not clear to me after 10 pages or so
Old 07-17-2014, 09:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Monty this is travis from the Wenatchee nct race, I was pitting with Marcus!
Old 07-17-2014, 09:50 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tjb12012
It appears there are two different break in methods in the original post from Monty, I was wondering which was more preferred, the idle on the box for three sessions of a couple min while cooling in between, or the run it on the ground from the start method? It's not clear to me after 10 pages or so
sup bro , hope all is well

either method is just fine

keys to break ins r

good lube pkg fuel
preheat
do not over rev
do not "blip" throttle during break in
heat cycle is my preferred method

three 5 min sessions with head cover on
three 10 min sessions no head cover on ground with body on , be nice to throttle
three thirty min sessions

cool in between , piston out of "pinch zone"

all the while try to maintain temps in the 200 range , measure temps with a good temp probe otherwise your efforts are wasted
Old 07-18-2014, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

keys to break ins r

good lube pkg fuel
preheat
do not over rev

three 10 min sessions no head cover on ground with body on , be nice to throttle

all the while try to maintain temps in the 200 range , measure temps with a good temp probe otherwise your efforts are wasted
Follow this method and by the 3rd 3o minute session you will be making good power and the engine will start to free its self up. Shortly after that you will be able to start giving it a close to race tune. WIth a Nova or Fusion X engine after about a gallon and half you are fully broken in and can put a solid race tune. Though following the above method will seem like it takes a long time, you will be rewarded with an engine that makes lots of power, runs like a champ and will last a long time provided you take care of it. My plus 4 went 8 gollons before needing a resize. granted I did a rod and bearings in there and its now my back up engine, but it is a reliable backup engine that I would have no problems lending out to some one in need.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you guys, I'm a few days in, it is the nova Clio p5 and tonight I will be starting the 30 min sessions, I set my end point so I could not go full throttle and have been preheating it, cooling, and my temps are above 200 usually 210 but I have hit 230 a time or two in the second ten min session. All seems to be going well

Again thank you
Old 07-22-2014, 06:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

keys to break ins r

good lube pkg fuel
preheat
do not over rev

hello houston,

im breaking in a new but older picco boost. im trying your method. ive done the three 5 min intervals on the box and the only thing i do not have is a comp heat cover. i was using a cut down coozy cover and a heat gun to maintain the temp. i was able to. stay at 195 to 200 without the gun but did have to go in a bit on the lsn. bout 2 hours from factory setting. it idled very well with good lubrication out the pipe. im now into the 30 ft runs on the ground. the engine idles well when it comes back and stays at 205 to 210 without the cover on it. ive done 2 10 min runs on top of the 5 min box idle runs. yust wondering how many tanks of this i have to go. all ive done is 2 1/2 so far and i know thats not near enuf for a proper break in. again its working perfect so far. just wanted to make sure im doing this corectly. first solo break in for me
Old 07-24-2014, 12:58 AM
Tech Regular

What's up Monte, can't believe this thread is still going strong after all these years! Never would have guessed that S-Grid post would ever get so famous, lol.

Hope you're doing well. Drop me a line sometime.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

WOW... it's Stephen Bess folks!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.