Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
NEW OS 21 XZ-B and Speed XZ-B >

NEW OS 21 XZ-B and Speed XZ-B

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

NEW OS 21 XZ-B and Speed XZ-B

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default 21 xzb

What are the stock needle settings for the 21 xzb
Thanks
Old 11-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dan2721
Thanks
speed or blue head ?
for max21xzb (blue)
mid mixture control valve ,flush.
idle mixture needle,-screw head 2.5mm proud of ball-link.
Hi speed needle-@3 turns out from bottom,then tune from there.

Last edited by noddy2; 11-01-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sean Dickinson
I agree with what you are saying, but there is no "nitrous" in our fuel. Nitrous or better known as nitrous oxide is N2O. The ingredient you are mistaking is nitromethane.
Correct you are sir, my bad. I did get them mixed up, and nitrous is definitely different to nitromethane. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by aaron125
You say that as if it's a bad thing... 9% is certainly not a low amount of oil, many custom blends use about half that amount, 4-5%. And as Byron fuels have won so many National and World Championships, I can guarantee, even though I've never used Byron fuels, that it will be perfectly safe to use in any engine commonly available which doesn't have any 'special' or out of the ordinary requirements.

They are one of the most popular fuel manufacturers worldwide, so I know they do a lot of R&D and would never release a fuel that could possibly damage a persons engine.

Just out of curiosity, have you read anywhere something which states the amount of oil a particular OS Speed engine requires? If so, where did you read it and what engine were they referring to? I'm just interested to read the article/story/whatever as I've not come across anyone saying that any specific engine requires a certain minimum % of oil to safely run the engine without damaging it.

You should be safe using just about any brand-name fuel in your engin. BTW, which OS Speed engine are you using?
If you aren't an expert tuner, a little more oil is better. If you're a good tuner, 9% is fine. Most fuels are between 9% and 12% of oil for off-road cars.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dan2721
Thanks
From the factory the settings are
LSN 6 1/2. HSN 3 1/2 out
Middle 2 o'clock.

But it won't run like that.

This will get you close ai a 6mm Venturi
Hsn 2 turns out
Lsn 5.5 turns out
Old 11-02-2012, 06:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Default OS speed

Originally Posted by aaron125
You say that as if it's a bad thing... 9% is certainly not a low amount of oil, many custom blends use about half that amount, 4-5%. And as Byron fuels have won so many National and World Championships, I can guarantee, even though I've never used Byron fuels, that it will be perfectly safe to use in any engine commonly available which doesn't have any 'special' or out of the ordinary requirements.

They are one of the most popular fuel manufacturers worldwide, so I know they do a lot of R&D and would never release a fuel that could possibly damage a persons engine.

Just out of curiosity, have you read anywhere something which states the amount of oil a particular OS Speed engine requires? If so, where did you read it and what engine were they referring to? I'm just interested to read the article/story/whatever as I've not come across anyone saying that any specific engine requires a certain minimum % of oil to safely run the engine without damaging it.

You should be safe using just about any brand-name fuel in your engin. BTW, which OS Speed engine are you using?
First, thank you for you answer.
Usually I ran my old OS speed with a local fuel that one of our store made itself.the local fuel is 25 nitromethane and 12% oil. At the store and some of our local driver said that this is what recommend for this engine.
Now I order the new OS speed the xz-b and there is a problem with the local fuel and I was "need" to choose between buyron to sidewinder.
Some local driver said that the % of the oil is not good for the engine
It will run great for one gallon but not more. The old one that still on my car had 3 gallon and now running the 4.
Thanks
Asher
Old 11-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

I wouldn't get Byrons fuel without an doubt
Old 11-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
From the factory the settings are
LSN 6 1/2. HSN 3 1/2 out
Middle 2 o'clock.

But it won't run like that.

This will get you close ai a 6mm Venturi
Hsn 2 turns out
Lsn 5.5 turns out
Thanks
Old 11-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Asher
First, thank you for you answer.
Usually I ran my old OS speed with a local fuel that one of our store made itself.the local fuel is 25 nitromethane and 12% oil. At the store and some of our local driver said that this is what recommend for this engine.
Now I order the new OS speed the xz-b and there is a problem with the local fuel and I was "need" to choose between buyron to sidewinder.
Some local driver said that the % of the oil is not good for the engine
It will run great for one gallon but not more. The old one that still on my car had 3 gallon and now running the 4.
Thanks
Asher
I have been running a 30% fuel with 10% oil and my OS engines will go 8 strong gallons. I don't see any issues with running a 30/9% you jut need to make sure your tune is closer and not too lean because you won't have the extra protection. You will love the extra pop that a lower % oil fuel yields. Either one of those fuel is good.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:50 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ehartman_49348
Yes it is. Not sure when it will be available in the US and what the street price will be. Since it will an engine that is between the VG and XZ-B in the line-up, I would think that the price would be around $200.
I have a hunch part of the reason they're bringing out this engine is because the blue-head XZ-B just isn't selling.. They're clearly trying to establish the price of the blue-head in Germany at around €225-250, but I regularly see them "on sale" for €199.. Too many other good options available, and hard-core racer OS-fans will take the Speed..

But how is the XZ-B anyway? Is it good for truggy? Is it really big on power? I got put off OS (at least anything non-Speed.., but then I'd never pay for one of those anyway..) several years ago by seeing lots of guys having their VSPEC's blow up(broken con-rods mostly..) I don't race seriously enough - and just don't have the budget frankly, so I'll never be buying a Speed.. But if the right deal came along for the XZ-B, I might give it a go... I know they tune easily, but for me it'd have to be a.) under €200, b.) have big power, and c.) be a solid 8-gallon engine with no absolute need to replace rod or bearings...
Old 11-03-2012, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I have a hunch part of the reason they're bringing out this engine is because the blue-head XZ-B just isn't selling.. They're clearly trying to establish the price of the blue-head in Germany at around €225-250, but I regularly see them "on sale" for €199.. Too many other good options available, and hard-core racer OS-fans will take the Speed..

But how is the XZ-B anyway? Is it good for truggy? Is it really big on power? I got put off OS (at least anything non-Speed.., but then I'd never pay for one of those anyway..) several years ago by seeing lots of guys having their VSPEC's blow up(broken con-rods mostly..) I don't race seriously enough - and just don't have the budget frankly, so I'll never be buying a Speed.. But if the right deal came along for the XZ-B, I might give it a go... I know they tune easily, but for me it'd have to be a.) under €200, b.) have big power, and c.) be a solid 8-gallon engine with no absolute need to replace rod or bearings...

I agree with your points.
For one the blue xz-b head is ugly, it's all notchy and old fashioned.
If you buy a cheap alpha engine you get a nice head. (Lutz or a830)
For €250 you can also get a Novarossi engine. That also has a nice head, and is competitive.

I'm also weery of crank pin wear. As far as I can tell it does not have the DLC coating. I mean, I could be wrong, but that sounds like a disadvantage.

I just happen to think that in this price range the competition is stiff, and O.S. have missed a trick. If it had a more attractive cooling head and the DLC coating then I'm sure more people would buy it.

As far as the old VZ-B blue head, that was a total dud.
For a while it came with bad bearings, which the balls would shatter and shoot metal pieces all around in the engine, and basicly ruin it. I changed mine after 1/2 gallon, and at that stage they had already become all gritty and awful. Very near failure!
Then there was the crank pin wear... it just wasn't a very good engine for me.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:07 AM
Tech Champion

I like the XZ-B head..
Old 11-03-2012, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I like the XZ-B head..
I don't like notchy heads, for one they're ugly, and if you flip the car they get more damaged, while a round head just gets a slight scratch to it. It's like the notches sort of grab on and then a lot of the material gets torn off.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

EDIT: I am talking about the engine styling/looks/aesthetics, not the engines performance... just realized it may be interpreted the wrong way.
-----------------
I agree that the blue head isn't my cup of tea.

One thing is that it's dated. The styling is the same as the .28 XZ, which has been out for years.

Last edited by Rsickles; 11-04-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

How is it though? Big power? Long lasting? Seen a vid of one in a Mugen trug (in Texas somewhere I think), and it looked pretty good, especially on top..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.