Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
NEW OS 21 XZ-B and Speed XZ-B >

NEW OS 21 XZ-B and Speed XZ-B

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

NEW OS 21 XZ-B and Speed XZ-B

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 12:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smelly62
Methanol is the ingredient that needs to be at the correct mixture for the engine to be tuned so the more methanol in the mix the leaner the tune can be giving better runtime.
Thanks for explaining, that makes it easier to understand now
Old 10-31-2012, 06:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Old 10-31-2012, 07:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Charles Godwin
Ok, i've seen people ask questions about the 2090 pipe but i can't find the answer(s) i'm looking for. All the answers 'im finding are 'its better than the 2060'. Why is it??? More runtime with the same/better power band? Same runtime with more lowend/top? If some you guys can tell me from your experience about the pipe compared to the 2060 or even the Nova 9901 would be greatly appreciated.
Sound is the most noticeable I mediate improvement. The 2090 brings the bark back. Here's what I have experienced with the 2090 over the 2060
  • More runtime 30 sec or so
  • Revs higher
  • Overall better feel throughout the powerband

Hope that helps.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Methanol is the ingredient that needs to be at the correct mixture for the engine to be tuned so the more methanol in the mix the leaner the tune can be giving better runtime.
Ok, well why did I feel like my engines ran better and were easier to tune with 30%? (not legal anymore, now running 25%)
Old 10-31-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

True, but when people talk about increased percent nitro fuel, they mean nitromethtane and not methanol.

Increasing nitromethane lowers mileage.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrofuel
FYI: This is a new 'sports' engine that OS is coming out with. It will fall between the .21 VG and the .21 XZ-B.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
True, but when people talk about increased percent nitro fuel, they mean nitromethtane and not methanol.

Increasing nitromethane lowers mileage.
That has been my experience. The best balance of mileage and power I have seen comes from 25% fuel
Old 10-31-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Champion

So that XR-B is a buggy engine then? I've always wanted to try an OS.. But the XZ-B is still up there price-wise for me.. (given relative prices of what's available to me..)
Old 10-31-2012, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
Sound is the most noticeable I mediate improvement. The 2090 brings the bark back. Here's what I have experienced with the 2090 over the 2060
  • More runtime 30 sec or so
  • Revs higher
  • Overall better feel throughout the powerband

Hope that helps.
Cheers Frank
Old 10-31-2012, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
So that XR-B is a buggy engine then? I've always wanted to try an OS.. But the XZ-B is still up there price-wise for me.. (given relative prices of what's available to me..)
Yes it is. Not sure when it will be available in the US and what the street price will be. Since it will an engine that is between the VG and XZ-B in the line-up, I would think that the price would be around $200.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tyson72
If I run a higher percent nitro fuel, will it give me better or worse fuel economy? Any ideas would be good thanks
I'm not sure that actually makes sense, it seems somewhat illogical. The question was asking about the effects of a higher nitro content in the fuel, so therefor, logic would dictate that if there is more nitrous in the fuel mix, the amount/percentage of methanol would have to be less - the reverse of the situation you describe.

Also, isn't it the nitrous in the fuel that is giving the extra punch and torque, not the methanol? Of course, both the nitrous and the methanol have to be in the correct amounts in the fuel mix or else the engine simply won't run, or won't run well if it does start. The nitrous is essentially adding extra oxygen into the fuel and it's the oxygen that allows combustion to occur and the greater the amount of oxygen in the fuel charge will create more power. I can't be bothered to check, but I think that the methanol molecule is made from carbon and hydrogen primarily (with a single oxygen atom thrown into the mix, which doesn't aid combustion. I think it's CH3OH, nitrous being NO. Also, when nitrous is broken down and burned in the fuel charge, the separation of the nitrogen and oxygen atoms is an exothermic reaction, thereby adding even more power to the engine's output.

Consider that some engines use a fuel with a nitrous content of just 5%, therefor it's almost pure methanol being burned and the power/runtime will definitely go way down, compared to a 30% fuel. Of course, I'm not forgetting that there's oil in the fuel as well, but is most likely being kept at the same or similar percentage, regardless of the nitrous %, somewhere in the vicinity of 5-11% oil, depending on the brand of fuel in question.

I hope that makes sense to someone other than me.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrofuel
Love the fully machined fin edges. Such a damn clean look... like the ZZ.21c. Wish OS did this with all their heads!
Old 11-01-2012, 06:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Is buyron fuel 25% nitro is good for O.S speed?
I'm asking this because this fuel have only 9% oil .
Old 11-01-2012, 06:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Asher
Is buyron fuel 25% nitro is good for O.S speed?
I'm asking this because this fuel have only 9% oil .
You say that as if it's a bad thing... 9% is certainly not a low amount of oil, many custom blends use about half that amount, 4-5%. And as Byron fuels have won so many National and World Championships, I can guarantee, even though I've never used Byron fuels, that it will be perfectly safe to use in any engine commonly available which doesn't have any 'special' or out of the ordinary requirements.

They are one of the most popular fuel manufacturers worldwide, so I know they do a lot of R&D and would never release a fuel that could possibly damage a persons engine.

Just out of curiosity, have you read anywhere something which states the amount of oil a particular OS Speed engine requires? If so, where did you read it and what engine were they referring to? I'm just interested to read the article/story/whatever as I've not come across anyone saying that any specific engine requires a certain minimum % of oil to safely run the engine without damaging it.

You should be safe using just about any brand-name fuel in your engin. BTW, which OS Speed engine are you using?
Old 11-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aaron125
I'm not sure that actually makes sense, it seems somewhat illogical. The question was asking about the effects of a higher nitro content in the fuel, so therefor, logic would dictate that if there is more nitrous in the fuel mix, the amount/percentage of methanol would have to be less - the reverse of the situation you describe.

Also, isn't it the nitrous in the fuel that is giving the extra punch and torque, not the methanol? Of course, both the nitrous and the methanol have to be in the correct amounts in the fuel mix or else the engine simply won't run, or won't run well if it does start. The nitrous is essentially adding extra oxygen into the fuel and it's the oxygen that allows combustion to occur and the greater the amount of oxygen in the fuel charge will create more power. I can't be bothered to check, but I think that the methanol molecule is made from carbon and hydrogen primarily (with a single oxygen atom thrown into the mix, which doesn't aid combustion. I think it's CH3OH, nitrous being NO. Also, when nitrous is broken down and burned in the fuel charge, the separation of the nitrogen and oxygen atoms is an exothermic reaction, thereby adding even more power to the engine's output.

Consider that some engines use a fuel with a nitrous content of just 5%, therefor it's almost pure methanol being burned and the power/runtime will definitely go way down, compared to a 30% fuel. Of course, I'm not forgetting that there's oil in the fuel as well, but is most likely being kept at the same or similar percentage, regardless of the nitrous %, somewhere in the vicinity of 5-11% oil, depending on the brand of fuel in question.

I hope that makes sense to someone other than me.
I agree with what you are saying, but there is no "nitrous" in our fuel. Nitrous or better known as nitrous oxide is N2O. The ingredient you are mistaking is nitromethane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.