NOVAROSSI Engine thread....

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 11:22 PM
Tech Lord

[QUOTE=srt4johnny;15470672]
Originally Posted by Roelof

ok so help a rookie out that’s what this place is for right
Originally Posted by Roelof
I have writen this many times but OK....
With most engines timings are the most important thing that makes an engine. A low timed 9 port will never run that good as a high timed 3 port engine. Novarossi makes 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 9 port engines and all have their own kind of feeling and performances. This is not by the amount of ports but mainly by the configured timings.

OS have won many large races with a 3 port engines against many 5 port and even 7 and 8 port engines. But OS had always made only a 3 port engine and was configured to the max, now they have also 5 port engines. Novarossi has them al although the 9 port is only for onroad.. With Novarossi the price is making the performance, low priced engines have most of the time 3 ports but are low timed. High priced engines do come in all kinds of ports and do perform on a higher level, they only do feel different. Even the difference is not set by the amount of ports but by the combinations of timings (intake, exhaust and crankshaft opening/closing)

Stroke is also such a thing. Yes, long strokes will give more bottom torque but again, if it is bad timed it will never give that power as a good timed short stroke. All is just a commercial thing making us customers wanting to buy the latest and the fastest with the most crappy commercial story behind it.

Most of the drivers want to see the work on an engine thinking that those are the things to make it fast like the amount of ports, teardrops, hand grinding, all kinds of cuts, special backplates etc. Only a good timing is never seen by the eye, it can only be meassured.

Another thing making an engine is matching expanding materials. if the expanding rate of the sleeve and piston do not match well you will loose performance. The cheaper Novarossi engines have pistons of a cheaper material. Not that they do not work but the high priced engine has better choosen materials giving a better performance with a same timing.

Last edited by Roelof; 06-26-2019 at 01:28 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ok very thorough thanks can’t say I didn’t ask for an explanation haha. With that said I’m still down to a 7 port rolling, or elite 5 not looking to drop a ton just a good engine to get me going with racing and get me back into the hobby and both those engines well priced. The Losi 454 is giving me trouble with flame outs and holding a tune well.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

It's an old myth that long stroke increases torque.
And as said before the number of ports doesn't matter much at all, it can make a Small difference in how efficiently it is packing the cylinder without loosing to much out the exhaust.
And as said before, excessive grinding is usually done to sell or because they don't know any better.

The Rolling is nice, though mostly aimed at bottom end torque with really mild timing, but for most tracks it should have enough of a top end with the right manifold and pipe.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Hey guys,

I finally ran my ST-RR with the N21BF Limited after sitting since about 2011-12.
Fired up right away and ran for about 2-2.5 tanks until I realized my two old hump packs were not lasting as long as they used to so I couldn't run anymore.

Is it common to have to retune after sitting so long?
It was running super rich when I first started it. I was making small adjustments here and there and it was running stronger and starting to hold idle better but I'm still going to have to make adjustments once new hump packs come in. Was watching temp and at one point hit 290* so I richened up the High end a little. Most of the time running was between 200-240 with some good full throttle rips.
Would the plug have anything to do with it? I use to run McCoy 8 which is now discontinued so I grabbed some Dynamite MT .18-.46 Medium plugs. Figured I would try them out for the price and they say they run cool.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:47 PM
Tech Lord

Maybe you have to take out the main needle and clean the needle and housing. Old oil will dry up and create issues. The plug should not be an issue, if your fuel is also that old, that can be an issue, be sure to shake the can very well or get something new.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Ok I'll try the needle.
For the fuel I went with new fuel. I had a little left that was that old but didn't want to even try it.

Thanks
Old 06-27-2019, 06:47 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

question on odonnell plugs used with novarossi engines, in particular the Paloma gold head but not sure if matters in general.

What odonnell plugs are comparable to the stock plug that comes with the Paloma.

Reason I ask is I got a variety of odonnell plugs here, figure maybe they could be used but trying to confirm.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by srt4johnny
Ok very thorough thanks can’t say I didn’t ask for an explanation haha. With that said I’m still down to a 7 port rolling, or elite 5 not looking to drop a ton just a good engine to get me going with racing and get me back into the hobby and both those engines well priced. The Losi 454 is giving me trouble with flame outs and holding a tune well.
If you go with the Rolling don’t use the 51020
Old 07-01-2019, 06:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by petersen114

If you go with the Rolling don’t use the 51020

Thanks i was leaning toward 9901 but not sure on header for truggy was thinking 41031?
Old 07-03-2019, 06:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Went with Rolling great deal at 160 bucks. Going to take a bit coming from Italy so I can decide on pipe/header. Curious does it matter what pipe you break motor in on if I use my stock Losi for now. I imagine I’ll just have to play with the tune later when I get something different? Thanks
Old 07-04-2019, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

Went with Rolling great deal at 160 bucks. Going to take a bit coming from Italy so I can decide on pipe/header. Curious does it matter what pipe you break motor in on if I use my stock Losi for now. I imagine I’ll just have to play with the tune later when I get something different? Thanks
9901 pipe and 41021 header is what worked for me. I will have to say though that I had issues with the 24073 carb that came with the engine!!
Old 07-04-2019, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

9901 pipe and 41021 header was the best combo I came up with also..
Old 07-05-2019, 05:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by petersen114

9901 pipe and 41021 header is what worked for me. I will have to say though that I had issues with the 24073 carb that came with the engine!!
What were your problems with that carb just keeping a tune? I just got the motor today and checked needle settings they were 4 1/4 on HS, 3 3/4 on LS, 1 3/4 on the middle. The manual says factory settings are 3 1/2 on HS, 5 on the LS and 1.5 on the middle. You think you should break it in with these or Richen it up a bit ? Did an unboxing one handed pretty shaky . Thanks for your help guys.

Also what clutch you guys think I should go with looking at https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-lo...RoCk0gQAvD_BwE

Or https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-lo...lr9102/p211985
Galatians2 20 likes this.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:59 PM
Tech Regular

Hello my friends, I'm here with problems with a Novarossi Mantra.
I bought the new engine in the box, what happens and I follow what Novarossi says in the manual.
And I can not get the engine to make a deposit to the idle, so I'll fire the igniter glowplug engine soon.
The only way the engine does not go down and use the embedded glowplug igniter, I already made two deposits so idle, but no solution.
I'm using a hot air gun to warm up the engine and start working at 100 degrees.

Thank You
Old 07-09-2019, 07:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

What were your problems with that carb just keeping a tune? I just got the motor today and checked needle settings they were 4 1/4 on HS, 3 3/4 on LS, 1 3/4 on the middle. The manual says factory settings are 3 1/2 on HS, 5 on the LS and 1.5 on the middle. You think you should break it in with these or Richen it up a bit ? Did an unboxing one handed pretty shaky . Thanks for your help guys.

https://youtu.be/R0LrT0mg5So

Also what clutch you guys think I should go with looking at https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-lo...RoCk0gQAvD_BwE

Or https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-lo...lr9102/p211985

went with the aluminum flywheel figured that’d be better in a truggy and a 7 port. Any ideas on the needle settings plan on breakin her in Thursday .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.