Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree349Likes

NOVAROSSI Engine thread....

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

This should help. Look at the bottom. I havn't played with plugs but maybe I should.

http://www.novarossi.it/2012/index.p...-p5-tuned.html
Old 01-23-2015, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi b
I've just recently come back to nitro and I have a question about glow plugs. I broke in my P5 with the plug that came with it, then I ran it for 1 practice day with the supplied plug. After talking with the lhs guys, they recommended that I switch to the plug one step colder because of our current cold temperatures which are between 40 and 60 degrees. I've changed to a Novarossi #5 plug. My 1st question is, what direction will the tune of my motor go? ie, will I be leaning or richening it? My 2nd question is, at what ambient temperature should I go to the #6 plug?
I've raced the #6 plug when ambient air temps were in the 20's through the 90's F and my engines ran fine. My rule of thumb is to run the engine on the #6 turbo plug, if it runs good...stick with it. Obviously there are other factors than air temp such as humidity, altitude, etc. That said, in the past 4 years racing Novarossi engines I changed plug type once...it was in the high 90's with extreme humidity. As per the chart, you would run the colder #7 plug...completely the opposite, the extreme moisture required a hotter plug and the #5 was money.

The temp range for the #6 as per the Nova chart is roughly 50-80F. As for the tune, again there are other variables so my rule of thumb if you change plug temp is run it with existing needle settings...then tune from the engines look, feel, sound, etc. But to answer your direct question, if anything you may have to richen when going to the hotter plug.

Hope this helps...best of luck with your new P5.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thank you Chris and Scrapz. I love my P5 so far. I just have to learn more about some things to keep it solid in the future.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Does anybody know if you can use Werks #5 and #6 plugs with the Nova S21P5XLT?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default hi

Originally Posted by losi b
I've just recently come back to nitro and I have a question about glow plugs. I broke in my P5 with the plug that came with it, then I ran it for 1 practice day with the supplied plug. After talking with the lhs guys, they recommended that I switch to the plug one step colder because of our current cold temperatures which are between 40 and 60 degrees. I've changed to a Novarossi #5 plug. My 1st question is, what direction will the tune of my motor go? ie, will I be leaning or richening it? My 2nd question is, at what ambient temperature should I go to the #6 plug?
Ok the plugs are c5tgc is hot, c6tgc medium, c7tgc cold

a C6tgc works fine in the temps you said although above 90 I would try a c7tgc just to keep it from burning up unless its humid outside then stay with the c6tgc.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6
Ok the plugs are c5tgc is hot, c6tgc medium, c7tgc cold

a C6tgc works fine in the temps you said although above 90 I would try a c7tgc just to keep it from burning up unless its humid outside then stay with the c6tgc.
I called Novarossi last year and spoke with someone at length about this very thing. The gist of the conversation was that higher temps require a colder plug, and the referred me to their temperature chart. http://www.novarossi.it/2012/index.p...-off-road.html
But when I asked Adam the same question, he said that he doesn't change the plug for temps. He told me that humidity plays more of a factor than temp does. I'm still kinda confused about the whole subject, but as evidence of what Adam said being right (as if he needs evidence when it comes to tuning engines), when it was 95-100 degrees at AMS 5.0 in Alabama last year, I'm pretty sure that Adam, and most guys too, still ran the C6 plug. Many of us had tuning problems, and suffered multiple flame outs, but when I asked Adam afterwards, he said that you needed to tune the motor inside of the building, where the humidity was probably 100%, instead of outside, where it was 20-30% less humid.

Things are as clear as mud to me now!
Old 01-26-2015, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC-ZOMBIE
Does anybody know if you can use Werks #5 and #6 plugs with the Nova S21P5XLT?
Thanks in advance.
yes
Old 01-26-2015, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sschultz
yes
Thank you Sir!
Old 01-26-2015, 11:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sean Pryce
I called Novarossi last year and spoke with someone at length about this very thing. The gist of the conversation was that higher temps require a colder plug, and the referred me to their temperature chart. http://www.novarossi.it/2012/index.p...-off-road.html
But when I asked Adam the same question, he said that he doesn't change the plug for temps. He told me that humidity plays more of a factor than temp does. I'm still kinda confused about the whole subject, but as evidence of what Adam said being right (as if he needs evidence when it comes to tuning engines), when it was 95-100 degrees at AMS 5.0 in Alabama last year, I'm pretty sure that Adam, and most guys too, still ran the C6 plug. Many of us had tuning problems, and suffered multiple flame outs, but when I asked Adam afterwards, he said that you needed to tune the motor inside of the building, where the humidity was probably 100%, instead of outside, where it was 20-30% less humid.

Things are as clear as mud to me now!

We tend to run all year round all over Australia using the C6TGC without any problems, Temps ranging from 45F - 105F, I know this is well outside the Novarossi chart range but we don't suffer any problems

There no doubt should be benefits to running a cooler plug when its hot (specially if humidity is low) so i might experiment with using the C7TGC on the hot days (say above 32/35c - 90-95f) and see what we find

Dave'
FUSION X ENGINES AUSTRALIA
Old 01-26-2015, 11:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I'll just leave 'is rye cheer

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...lus-21-4c.html
Old 01-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FUSIONX AUS/NZ
We tend to run all year round all over Australia using the C6TGC without any problems, Temps ranging from 45F - 105F, I know this is well outside the Novarossi chart range but we don't suffer any problems

There no doubt should be benefits to running a cooler plug when its hot (specially if humidity is low) so i might experiment with using the C7TGC on the hot days (say above 32/35c - 90-95f) and see what we find

Dave'
FUSION X ENGINES AUSTRALIA
I keep saying that I'm going to experiment with a cooler plug in high temps, but I never actually get around to it. What about extremely high humidity days....do you run a hotter plug (C5)?
Old 01-27-2015, 01:08 PM
am
Tech Master

Run a colder plug in higher temp, but, if the humidety is very high, it`ll be smart changing to slightly hotter plug.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:07 PM
Tech Champion

New line of engines at Nürnberg.. Meet the Mitos...

http://www.neobuggy.net/
Old 01-30-2015, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey guys, just trying to sift thru all the bullcrap. Some say the Odonnell plugs are awesome and great, and a few say dont use them, they fail, the coil could drop in, not last yadadadada

Any thoughts on this?
Old 01-30-2015, 11:33 AM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sn47som1
Hey guys, just trying to sift thru all the bullcrap. Some say the Odonnell plugs are awesome and great, and a few say dont use them, they fail, the coil could drop in, not last yadadadada

Any thoughts on this?
I like the O'Donnell v2 plugs. I've been using the 277T with a lot of success.

A lot of people use the 97T, but I wasn't a big fan. I did have a bunch of these fail on me.

But on my race engines, I still run a Nova plug. They seem to be the most reliable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.