Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Never mind you answered my question.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff jenkins
Is there anyway to water the track ?
Yeah, there is a hose right by the track, but only a few members have a key to unlock it. But last summer spraying it down lasted maybe an hour, you could see it drying out before it was even done being watered.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It's still under the dirt though and helps keep the track together, just the top dries out right away, Adam we gonna see you at some offroad races this summer?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
It's still under the dirt though and helps keep the track together, just the top dries out right away, Adam we gonna see you at some offroad races this summer?
Well, I kept my 22SCT and B4.2 despite not having gone to TRCR in a few months, so yeah, I wouldn't mind getting a little dirty again I never ran them at our Seatac track, though, so I'd have to fiddle with the setups and get some different tires.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

I mean organized racing, not sure you will have as much fun now as you got the racing bug lol, I absolutely can't just go run laps anymore for some reason
Old 03-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
I mean organized racing, not sure you will have as much fun now as you got the racing bug lol, I absolutely can't just go run laps anymore for some reason
Well, last time I tried to race offroad (TRCR) it was a disaster. I'm not sure it'd be much different now, but I should go for some practice and see how I do at least.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

I'm gonna pm you lol
Old 03-17-2014, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
I'm not sure what video you saw, but there are definitely jumps. Most are pretty good, a few can be painful if you don't time them right.

One thing to note is that the track has been very hard on cars. It gets very dusty and the surface is abrasive, so you'll have to do a serious cleaning after every session. My bearings come home gritty as hell.
We are getting more dirt according to Todd. Maintainence can be part of the setup on racedays. Like there is the setup for the hangar.

What we need to decide is when and what. That and again, are we getting access to the lap counting equipment.

(fwiw I think Cherry was being sarcastic)
Old 03-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Tech Legend

Not trying to be sarcastic, just interested in this summers plans..

Will it just be club racing or is there a 2 day race or perhaps a series possible ?
Old 03-17-2014, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Not trying to be sarcastic, just interested in this summers plans..

Will it just be club racing or is there a 2 day race or perhaps a series possible ?
I think per Todd's point, the track is very busy with activity, so we'd have to "close it" to the public for race days (I don't mean that the public couldn't race, just that we couldn't have bashers on the track at the time). It's not out of the question, but it's something the club would have to commit itself to. I feel that it's very feasible to do this summer, but at the same time I know we'll upset a bunch of people who show up to bash and are asked to wait until after the races. If we can strike a good balance with our community, I see nothing stopping us.

Oh, and we'd need a power generator or two.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Tech Rookie

I haven't been to a race in 28 years (at the old B&I in Tacoma when I was a kid) so I'm a bit out of the loop on how it works,.. but why does the track have to close for a long period of time for racing? It seems to me you could strike a balance by not being as "serious" as some other events...

I presume a single race is no more than five or ten minutes?. Set it up so that "bashers" who show up aren't locked out for too long a period. Allow bashing between races or between classes perhaps. Stagger the races so that bashers aren't sitting around for hours waiting to use the track. I think if you let people get it out of their system, they wouldn't be too annoyed when the track closed briefly for a race.

As for rules and classes: Again, not sure how it works these days, but I'd suggest leaving things very open as much as possible to novices. That way people aren't "locked out" of the track. Also, what is the real need for an entry fee? Can't it be free? At very least start simple and see how it goes.

Power would be nice,.. but is it really a requirement? Charge at home and deal with it,.. just like when bashing. Or charge in your vehicle.

I think it would be fun to have some casual racing, but would also say that I'd be disappointed if I showed up with my kids but couldn't use the track for an extended period.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

You have valid points and good ideas, I'm just not sure how well they would work out in practice.

Let's say we do 4 classes (2WD and 4WD, buggy and SCT), that's a total of 8 qualifiers and 4 races. At 6 minutes each, that's 1 hour 12 minutes of actual track use. However, there are usually 3 minutes of warmup and lining up before each, so you're up to 1 hour 48 minutes. This is assuming back-to-back runs, which don't always happen. So let's call it 2 hours. I'm assuming we'd have to sweep/water the track to some degree throughout the day, which would add to the time.

Now, throw some bashers into the mix. How long would bashers want to run on the track between qualifiers? Would they be ok with 3-5 minutes at a time? Would they fix the track up after their runs for the racers who want "good/equal track conditions" for their runs? I just see a lot of unhappiness on both sides.

Perhaps I'm overthinking it, though
Old 03-18-2014, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You're not over thinking it.

If/when a Seatac offroad race program is organized, one can assume the track will be reserved for racing and racers during the scheduled hours. One shouldn't expect access to the track during a race any more than one should expect access to a baseball diamond during scheduled games. You don't just show up with your kid and a bucket of balls and tell the ump you're going to work in some fly ball practice between innings.

That's among the reasons I say it's a big deal for the club to schedule club racing at the track. There's a "highest and best use" standard we are obliged to consider for a track in a public park built as this one was.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ErikU
I think it would be fun to have some casual racing, but would also say that I'd be disappointed if I showed up with my kids but couldn't use the track for an extended period.
IMHO, this amazing community track that you've all helped build, why does it need to subscribe to traditional race day mores? Why try to replicate what you can already get at Tacoma et al?

Use Tacoma et al for your pro-racing fixes - if you scare people away at the community track, you'll never see them join you at bigger paid events.

Keep it cheap. Keep it simple. Make it fun. Everything else can get in the way of what we should be doing - driving and smiling.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Originally Posted by multi-bash
IMHO, this amazing community track that you've all helped build, why does it need to subscribe to traditional race day mores? Why try to replicate what you can already get at Tacoma et al?

Use Tacoma et al for your pro-racing fixes - if you scare people away at the community track, you'll never see them join you at bigger paid events.

Keep it cheap. Keep it simple. Make it fun. Everything else can get in the way of what we should be doing - driving and smiling.

Its no different that when the community BMX track is having a race. You cant ride the track when they are racing. All you would have to do it check to schedule before you took the kids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.