Wiki Posts
Search

Help Save Portland Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)

Originally Posted by RCBLUE
Most racers will not vote for someone who they feel are incompetent.
Well my vote for you is out then - j/k
Old 12-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm laughling on the inside............................................ ......really!!
Old 12-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

this is from a guy on the outside looking in.

what is the projected outcome after these 5 months are up?

If my money is going to help jump start a club, i would want the club to be around for more than 5 months. not just the club, but a place for the club to hold events and club racing.

I guess what i am wondering is if this $10,000 is just prolonging the inevitable.

would this $10,000 be able to be put to better use in finding a new facility in conjunction with the city/county?
Old 12-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

There is no projections for after five months YET. Hopefully someone would be able to step up and purchase the hobby shop. Once that happens then planning for the future can get easier. Your money doesn't really help jump start the club. Your money PRE PAYS for your practice and racing for that five months.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Sorry to hear about the track guys! How about one saturday holding a one day event to help drum up some duckies (translation) fund raiser. Something like a 2-3 qual but single main (maybe a longer main 8-10mins). Just a thought. I would come down for something like that

Double E
Old 12-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JeremyS
this is from a guy on the outside looking in.

what is the projected outcome after these 5 months are up?

If my money is going to help jump start a club, i would want the club to be around for more than 5 months. not just the club, but a place for the club to hold events and club racing.

I guess what i am wondering is if this $10,000 is just prolonging the inevitable.

would this $10,000 be able to be put to better use in finding a new facility in conjunction with the city/county?
This is definitely a thought. Unfortunately, $10,000.00 would barely scratch the surface for finding a new facility, that I can guarantee. And the time it would take to get the county/city behind something like this could take years. Not trying to be negative, but we feel like we have come up with the best solution for the short term. If the club forms and everything goes well during the 5 months, then the solution would probably go longer. If a buyer for the hobby shop is found, I am confident the arrangement could work for a lot longer than 5 months.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

Dave,
$10,000 is a big start to show the City/County that people are truly interested in finding a new track. if the County were to see this $$ being posted up to help with a new facility it has more potential to go somwhere as opposed to going to the County and asking for a handout.

it may be an avenue to persue to start laying the foundation to a long lasting club and track.

The Spokane Club is going on 25 years if i remember correctly. or just short of 25 years. the track is on City property but it is in a park, so it is a public track but the club takes care of it.

It is alot harder to run a club track than a privatly owned track, but with a club it does seem easier to survive.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

It is 100 times easier to find a suitable outdoor track as is it to find a suitable indoor building. Commercial property is stupid expensive. and then you have zoning and occupancy and building codes and the list goes on. It could take 6 months just to find a indoor place that would work, just to find out that the city or county says sorry, you can't do that. It can be done, just not by the time frame we have.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Greg is right. Outdoor would be easy compared to finding an indoor facility. It is a great idea, possibly even a long term solution to the problem. My concern is the immediate future. I also know that if we don't get people involved quickly, then the movement dies and we will have nothing. That is my biggest fear right now, that people don't take this seriously enough and think "Oh well, somebody will get something else going when A-Main dies." I know how difficult it is to get groups organized and keep them moving in the right direction. I was in a fraternity in college and have been in the Sandy Cal Ripken Baseball organization for the last 6 years. People will sit by and watch something fall to pieces if they are not motivated by the right people.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Tech Adept

Default Club Racing

Hi guys,
I thought I would add a little clarification. First of all we know times are tough and I more than most. Leting racers know about the situation Hometown Hobbies is in is the toughest thing I have ever had to do. Most businesses would just close their doors and walk away, well Hometown Hobbies is a little different because of the group of people who love R/C Racing! By having the oportunity to form a club racers have the chance to continue doing what you love to do reguardless of the situation with the Hobby shop. Whether the club idea works out or not at least there is a chance for racers to do something about it. I hope that is better than not having had a chance at all.

A few things that people should understand about the club proposal. First, payment is not due to the club (not Hometown Hobbies) unless we get enough commitments to make it fly. Our goal is to secure the building untill the spring at which time we can transition to outdoor racing. Having the $ up front is the only way I feel the landlord will agree to such a reduced rate.

Next, Hometown Hobbies will gladly loan the equipment needed to run races to the club for as long as the club keeps the building.

The initial plan to form a club is to maintain racing throught the spring and give racers a transition time, instead of just closing the doors tomorrow. The club could very well decide to continue but that would be addressed at a later date. Your $250 membership would go toward race entries and practice throught spring (may) and that is all. Anything beyond that will be decided by the club later.

Any additional money raised by the club through race entries and practice fees could go to purchasing the equipment from Hometown Hobbies if they so choose or go back to the members if the club disolves.

Finally Guys, personally I would really like to see this work out. It does nothing to improve my situation personally but it gives you the opportunity to take control and make things new! Getting people more involved and taking the decisions out of Dave and my hands could spark new interest and make bigger and better things happen! So shoot an e-mail to Andy at [email protected] and let him know you are in.

Thanks,
Old 12-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I want to stand up and support Tim and Dave on this by saying we need to step up and just do our part. They have made in cut and dry on what needs to happen and the consequences if we do not. I e-mailed Andy 10 minutes after reading this post yesterday and to me it was a no brainer. I know times are tough. I lost half my pay to keep my job and am barely making minimum wage right now. I spent a good part of the weekend digging out old crap to throw on Ebay just so I can come up with my membership. You guys need to prove your dedication to A-main and do what you can. This is serious! Please, lets not let it slip away!
Old 12-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RCBLUE
I'm laughling on the inside............................................ ......really!!
wow is this a dream ?????
Old 12-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

So what's the score so far Andy ??

There's plenty of passion here.

Does that equal 50 commitments ??

Jacko
Old 12-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Has anyone considered sending out e-mails to the online hobby shops asking for contributions towards our local clubs? It may be time. Make a big deal out of it, post it up on the forums, etc... Not that I think any of them, particularly the big guys, would step up and help, but I think it's time for racers and consumers hear what's happening, and maybe see how little (or how much) these internet companies really care about us.
My company has been dealing with the same issue for the last several years, our only defense is to provide exceptional customer service - and that only goes so far. We always want more for less, and fail to consider who is going to take care of us when we need help with the product in the future.
One of my personal New Year's resolutions is to try and buy local whenever possible, even if it means paying a few bucks more. I'd like to go a step beyond and try to buy from companies that are locally OWNED, as well. From the standpoint of the consumer, you'll be better served by the guy who knows his reputation is on the line when dealing with sales, warranty issues, returns, or exchanges.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

awesome idea brandon !!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.