sts rs12 modified turbo .12

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

sts rs12 modified turbo .12

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

I was just on the CRC Website and the engine is there. You can also buy it direct from CRC through their online store.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default hand mod r3

Tried it yesterday and again just now . .
The mid to high rev is really fast and especially the power is plentiful even at top end. I am starting to run it lean and with the rb X12 pipe this guy really sounds very fierce.

I run a "lean" rb 5 port on my mtx2 and v1r and this little sts engine surely can keep up with the rb.

I also managed to try out the 5 port and this is as impressive.

Someone mentioned before .. . this little engine is worth it and if it will last 6 months, I may want to buy another one.

ed
Old 12-02-2002, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

I am planning to get one of the RS12 Hand Mods to run in the Rubber Class.

I have heard that they are quick but I have also been told that they can't compete with the JP's and the Collari's which I race against.

Can anyone shed any light on this.

I am currently running a 3-port Modified RB 12. But even this engine with the modifications is starting to fall behind slightly.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by modellor
I am planning to get one of the RS12 Hand Mods to run in the Rubber Class.

I have heard that they are quick but I have also been told that they can't compete with the JP's and the Collari's which I race against.

Can anyone shed any light on this.

I am currently running a 3-port Modified RB 12. But even this engine with the modifications is starting to fall behind slightly.
It is very fast - but they're right it's not going to beat a well tuned jp on a track where the engine makes the difference. I don't why the jp is better - i've compared the sleeve and they look very similar. It will roll a RB 5 port though, and it's stronger than the sirio 4 port.

I don't know if you're racing against 5 port Collari's but you put a nova carb on a 5 port collari and my experience has been this is the combination that beats jp. I have not ran a jp 5 port though.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

the crank is very different --- sts and JP.. sleeve work is one thing but crank timing is another..

I have a JP S5 and its a powerhouse..

i have seen a sirio 3 port mounted on a lola v1rr scream down a track .. comparable to a S5 nova...on the straight just that the low end is soft.

i think the sts is good value for money.. hope to try the rs3 soon..

i believe a well tune 3 port modified can out run a normal 5 port anytime.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

I agree fuse01 with most of your post except that I have not ran a 3port modified that is as fast as the stock collari 5 port with RB carb.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

I proved that theory at our local GP. I was running a 3-port mod RB against Works Salven SX12 Megas and I was still fit to finish 3rd.

Would have been closer but the D~@[ gearbox decided it wanted to run the race on its own adn left my car. Lost 5mins and finished 23laps down on a track with a 24lap 5min run.

It shows that on a torque track the 5-ports can't shine and the more torquier 3-ports can hold their own.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default collari 5 port

Originally posted by patelladragger
I agree fuse01 with most of your post except that I have not ran a 3port modified that is as fast as the stock collari 5 port with RB carb.
yeah couldn't agree more . .
I saw a collari 5 port mounted on an mtx-3 at a local track and that car was real fast and idles very well too (like harley davidson motocycle . . . potato . . . potato . . .potato. . . ). . .

The STS hand mod 3 port is very good too now I am trying it with the new square pipe.

I saw a couple of pix of the smeltz and motorman glow plug button and they all had cuttings (like flower) . . wonder if anyone had tried this mod on the sts rs3 or other motors.

ed.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:08 AM
Tech Adept

Default looking

Hi guys

i have come to this thread to ask you something do you know if i have an STS dealer in the UK.
I have asked my local shop but they aint got a clue, ive seen afew guys use the engine & they said they are pretty cheap i was just looking at your thread
Old 12-10-2002, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

We do have a UK dealer.

Its Cleveland Models

www.clevelandmodels.co.uk
Old 12-11-2002, 04:04 AM
Tech Adept

Default STS

Thanks

I will look at this site later but thanks anyway
Old 12-11-2002, 04:43 AM
Tech Adept

Default Buttons

Hey guys what do you all mean by Buttons Etc

What i mean is that ive always used an pullstart now going into using a non pullstart engine trying to find out what is good & what is bad.
I like STS because alot of people seem to know pritty much about this piece of kit but i hope you guys could help me out
Old 12-11-2002, 05:53 AM
Tech Master

Basically a button is a part of the engine which fits between the cylinder and the head to alter the engine from standard to turbo. The Turbo button has a different shape hole in it to accept tapered Turbo glow plugs.

As for non-pullstart, you are aware that you will require a bump starter (starter box) to get the engine running. Other than that the engine pretty much runs the same as your pullstart engines. In saying that depending on what pullstart engine you have been using you may notice that the new engine has 2 needles for tuning. Basically work in the same way as the pullstart engine except that you have more freedom of fine tuning both the slow and top end speeds.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Default sts r3 vs r5

Last edited by edwintam; 10-08-2007 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Well, basically the main difference is that the R3 is a 3-port engine and the R5 is a 5-port engine.

The 3-port engines come mainly with standard glow plugs whereas the majority of 5-port engines come with a turbo glow plug for more power.

In most places though 5-ports are illegal for racing unless the club runs the new outlaw class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.