Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-3

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
I think theRED5 is correct, unless you're racing outlaw (and hence can make as many and as big a hole as you want) it is not practical to use a fuel gun for touring shells.

There are some new and smaller guns (plastic I think) out there that may be suitable but generally its best to use them only when running VDS Lola shells. Then you can really place the gun properly and vertically for best fuel-up.
Some guys at the tracks I run at use them no problems. You dont have to seal the tank hole off completely when using them, but if you dont you get a little overflow sometimes. Still faster than using a bottle.

Follow this link:

http://www.rescueit.com.au/Meakin/21...al_Race_2.html

I was car 2 and I fueled on lap 16. It was a 33 second lap and my average was almost 21 meaning a 12 second pit stop. Car 4 stopped on lap 21 (not 15 as it looks like he started the race late) and had a 28 second fuel stop with a 22.5 second average lap.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Tech Rookie

the RED5 - Great info all the way around. I've picked up alot in a very short time. I wish I would have waited until I came across this info. about tires. Will be giving Lee a call tomorrow and ordering up a few set's of GQ tires. Jo with DB Racing who sells the belts off e-bay has also been very helpful in understanding the concept behind these belts and doing that little trick with the WD40.

]-[0p
Old 06-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

is anybody in here interested in a brand new assembled mtx-3 with extras
Old 06-02-2004, 04:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally posted by FW05R
is anybody in here interested in a brand new assembled mtx-3 with extras
Selling already?
Old 06-02-2004, 05:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by AMGRacer
It works fine if you do your body right. IFMAR rules allow the windscreen to be cut along with a 50mm fuel hole.

Position your hole like so:

But then the engine would overheat, wouldn't it?

the Ifmar rules say the following:

5.15 Only the following air holes and sizes are permitted in the bodyshells:

One (1) cooling hole may be cut in the front windscreen only (not intruding on either the roof or bonnet) with a maximum dimension in any direction of 60.00mm.

15.00mm maximum diameter hole in the roof for glow plug access.

Both front side windows and the rear window can be removed for ventilation, except for the side rear windows, which must remain intact.

Re-fuelling hole maximum 50.00mm diameter.

Small holes can be made for the exhaust pipe, transponder and radio antenna.

No other holes are permitted.

The say the cooling hole may not intrude the roof...
But they don't say anything about the refuelling hole intruding the windshield...

I don't remember how the guys were using in the pre-worlds...
Old 06-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by mckrooz
Selling already?
I want to run electric

this car has been sitting next to my desk since december the reason why I have never used it is because as soon as it becomes used it depreciates in value but I want to make this a good deal even though everything is BRAND NEW im throwing in RDL 800Mah NIMH Receiver Battery, RDL rear brace and the aluminum Wheel Hub adaptors plus a Sirio sp12trp engine with 2 fuel tanks ran through it the engine is still not broken in yet Im asking $400.00 + shipping
Old 06-02-2004, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Bandeira
But then the engine would overheat, wouldn't it?

the Ifmar rules say the following:

5.15 Only the following air holes and sizes are permitted in the bodyshells:

One (1) cooling hole may be cut in the front windscreen only (not intruding on either the roof or bonnet) with a maximum dimension in any direction of 60.00mm.

15.00mm maximum diameter hole in the roof for glow plug access.

Both front side windows and the rear window can be removed for ventilation, except for the side rear windows, which must remain intact.

Re-fuelling hole maximum 50.00mm diameter.

Small holes can be made for the exhaust pipe, transponder and radio antenna.

No other holes are permitted.

The say the cooling hole may not intrude the roof...
But they don't say anything about the refuelling hole intruding the windshield...

I don't remember how the guys were using in the pre-worlds...
Yep you are right. You cut the refueling hole directly above the tank lid and you cut the cooling hole in the windshield. The two holes cannot intersect. If anything you get more airflow through the roof and windshield
Old 06-02-2004, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default transponder/on-off switch

i saw a transponder on-off switch holder in graphite all one piece, it said it was made by square, any one know where i can get this or one like it, i was wondering why mugen didnt have this piece in the kit??? anyway, any info?
Old 06-02-2004, 06:29 PM
Tech Adept

another question concerning the subject "refueling"
How do you guys put the zip-tie in your fuel-tank cap?

I personlly put it so it appears thru the roof and then my mechanic refuels thru the windshield...
But now with fuel-gun I will need another method...
suggestions?

thanks in advance...

PS:any suggestion/feedback/info/anything on the body holes issue still welcome...
Old 06-02-2004, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Bandeira
another question concerning the subject "refueling"
How do you guys put the zip-tie in your fuel-tank cap?

I personlly put it so it appears thru the roof and then my mechanic refuels thru the windshield...
But now with fuel-gun I will need another method...
suggestions?

thanks in advance...

PS:any suggestion/feedback/info/anything on the body holes issue still welcome...
The difficulty that a fuel gun presents is that you require one hand to completely use the gun, so you only have one hand left to hold the car and open the tank. With the zip tie from the tank lid this becomes pretty hard. Also the tank lid must be pretty much completly vertical to get the nozzle onto the tank lid "square", again this is difficult with the type of opening device you mention.

I found the best way is as follows. Run a large zip tie from the tank lid to the rear shock tower. Secure the zip tie to the rear shock tower. Keep it fairly tight. You will notice that the zip tie runs past the cutout in the rear window. Reach through the rear window with one hand and grab the zip tie and lift the car. When you do this the tank flips open pretty much vertical and you can hold the car in the air with just the one hand. You then fuel it and drop it back onto the track and the tank snaps closed.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by AMGRacer
The difficulty that a fuel gun presents is that you require one hand to completely use the gun, so you only have one hand left to hold the car and open the tank. With the zip tie from the tank lid this becomes pretty hard. Also the tank lid must be pretty much completly vertical to get the nozzle onto the tank lid "square", again this is difficult with the type of opening device you mention.

I found the best way is as follows. Run a large zip tie from the tank lid to the rear shock tower. Secure the zip tie to the rear shock tower. Keep it fairly tight. You will notice that the zip tie runs past the cutout in the rear window. Reach through the rear window with one hand and grab the zip tie and lift the car. When you do this the tank flips open pretty much vertical and you can hold the car in the air with just the one hand. You then fuel it and drop it back onto the track and the tank snaps closed.

Pictures are worth a 1000 words...
Old 06-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Anyone have demensions to the chassis of the mtx-3...?

Length and Width...
Old 06-02-2004, 08:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by Tag
is there anyone here running a rdlogics turbo II pipe ? what exhaust gasket do you guys using ? i am kind of having some leakage problem, the header is a bit too big for my stock novarossi gasket ..
I had the same problem, found that the general silicone gaskets for a .15 work great and at my lhs also cheaper than some of the other options.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:48 PM
Tag
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hi, thanks for the info i will give that a try..
Originally posted by DocSafety
I had the same problem, found that the general silicone gaskets for a .15 work great and at my lhs also cheaper than some of the other options.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Tag
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

does anyone knows what is the tire compund that comes with a the stock mtx-3 ? i have a set lying around and would like to try it next time around..thanks !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.