R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-02-2004, 04:58 PM   #12601
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
I think theRED5 is correct, unless you're racing outlaw (and hence can make as many and as big a hole as you want) it is not practical to use a fuel gun for touring shells.

There are some new and smaller guns (plastic I think) out there that may be suitable but generally its best to use them only when running VDS Lola shells. Then you can really place the gun properly and vertically for best fuel-up.
Some guys at the tracks I run at use them no problems. You dont have to seal the tank hole off completely when using them, but if you dont you get a little overflow sometimes. Still faster than using a bottle.

Follow this link:

http://www.rescueit.com.au/Meakin/21...al_Race_2.html

I was car 2 and I fueled on lap 16. It was a 33 second lap and my average was almost 21 meaning a 12 second pit stop. Car 4 stopped on lap 21 (not 15 as it looks like he started the race late) and had a 28 second fuel stop with a 22.5 second average lap.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:04 PM   #12602
Tech Rookie
 
]-[0pa]0ng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Antonio - TX
Posts: 13
Default

the RED5 - Great info all the way around. I've picked up alot in a very short time. I wish I would have waited until I came across this info. about tires. Will be giving Lee a call tomorrow and ordering up a few set's of GQ tires. Jo with DB Racing who sells the belts off e-bay has also been very helpful in understanding the concept behind these belts and doing that little trick with the WD40.

]-[0p
]-[0pa]0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:32 PM   #12603
Tech Master
 
FW-05RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,384
Default

is anybody in here interested in a brand new assembled mtx-3 with extras
FW-05RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:56 PM   #12604
Tech Addict
 
mckrooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Long Beach,CA
Posts: 641
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mckrooz
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by FW05R
is anybody in here interested in a brand new assembled mtx-3 with extras
Selling already?
__________________
Kyosho RRR Evo2
mckrooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 06:22 PM   #12605
Tech Adept
 
Bandeira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 167
Send a message via ICQ to Bandeira
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
It works fine if you do your body right. IFMAR rules allow the windscreen to be cut along with a 50mm fuel hole.

Position your hole like so:

But then the engine would overheat, wouldn't it?

the Ifmar rules say the following:


5.15 Only the following air holes and sizes are permitted in the bodyshells:

One (1) cooling hole may be cut in the front windscreen only (not intruding on either the roof or bonnet) with a maximum dimension in any direction of 60.00mm.

15.00mm maximum diameter hole in the roof for glow plug access.

Both front side windows and the rear window can be removed for ventilation, except for the side rear windows, which must remain intact.

Re-fuelling hole maximum 50.00mm diameter.

Small holes can be made for the exhaust pipe, transponder and radio antenna.

No other holes are permitted.


The say the cooling hole may not intrude the roof...
But they don't say anything about the refuelling hole intruding the windshield...

I don't remember how the guys were using in the pre-worlds...
Bandeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 06:23 PM   #12606
Tech Master
 
FW-05RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,384
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by mckrooz
Selling already?
I want to run electric

this car has been sitting next to my desk since december the reason why I have never used it is because as soon as it becomes used it depreciates in value but I want to make this a good deal even though everything is BRAND NEW im throwing in RDL 800Mah NIMH Receiver Battery, RDL rear brace and the aluminum Wheel Hub adaptors plus a Sirio sp12trp engine with 2 fuel tanks ran through it the engine is still not broken in yet Im asking $400.00 + shipping
FW-05RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 06:31 PM   #12607
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandeira
But then the engine would overheat, wouldn't it?

the Ifmar rules say the following:


5.15 Only the following air holes and sizes are permitted in the bodyshells:

One (1) cooling hole may be cut in the front windscreen only (not intruding on either the roof or bonnet) with a maximum dimension in any direction of 60.00mm.

15.00mm maximum diameter hole in the roof for glow plug access.

Both front side windows and the rear window can be removed for ventilation, except for the side rear windows, which must remain intact.

Re-fuelling hole maximum 50.00mm diameter.

Small holes can be made for the exhaust pipe, transponder and radio antenna.

No other holes are permitted.


The say the cooling hole may not intrude the roof...
But they don't say anything about the refuelling hole intruding the windshield...

I don't remember how the guys were using in the pre-worlds...
Yep you are right. You cut the refueling hole directly above the tank lid and you cut the cooling hole in the windshield. The two holes cannot intersect. If anything you get more airflow through the roof and windshield
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 06:39 PM   #12608
Tech Master
 
gentleman81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: VA Baby
Posts: 1,657
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default transponder/on-off switch

i saw a transponder on-off switch holder in graphite all one piece, it said it was made by square, any one know where i can get this or one like it, i was wondering why mugen didnt have this piece in the kit??? anyway, any info?
__________________
MTX4R/PICCO(Trophy Taker) - SERP 950/SIRIO(Board Breaker)
PHI '08 - to be announced.....
www.vorra.org - ironbridgesportspark.com - 301raceway*4LIFE*.com
gentleman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:29 PM   #12609
Tech Adept
 
Bandeira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 167
Send a message via ICQ to Bandeira
Default

another question concerning the subject "refueling"
How do you guys put the zip-tie in your fuel-tank cap?

I personlly put it so it appears thru the roof and then my mechanic refuels thru the windshield...
But now with fuel-gun I will need another method...
suggestions?

thanks in advance...

PS:any suggestion/feedback/info/anything on the body holes issue still welcome...
Bandeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:45 PM   #12610
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandeira
another question concerning the subject "refueling"
How do you guys put the zip-tie in your fuel-tank cap?

I personlly put it so it appears thru the roof and then my mechanic refuels thru the windshield...
But now with fuel-gun I will need another method...
suggestions?

thanks in advance...

PS:any suggestion/feedback/info/anything on the body holes issue still welcome...
The difficulty that a fuel gun presents is that you require one hand to completely use the gun, so you only have one hand left to hold the car and open the tank. With the zip tie from the tank lid this becomes pretty hard. Also the tank lid must be pretty much completly vertical to get the nozzle onto the tank lid "square", again this is difficult with the type of opening device you mention.

I found the best way is as follows. Run a large zip tie from the tank lid to the rear shock tower. Secure the zip tie to the rear shock tower. Keep it fairly tight. You will notice that the zip tie runs past the cutout in the rear window. Reach through the rear window with one hand and grab the zip tie and lift the car. When you do this the tank flips open pretty much vertical and you can hold the car in the air with just the one hand. You then fuel it and drop it back onto the track and the tank snaps closed.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:54 PM   #12611
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 845
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
The difficulty that a fuel gun presents is that you require one hand to completely use the gun, so you only have one hand left to hold the car and open the tank. With the zip tie from the tank lid this becomes pretty hard. Also the tank lid must be pretty much completly vertical to get the nozzle onto the tank lid "square", again this is difficult with the type of opening device you mention.

I found the best way is as follows. Run a large zip tie from the tank lid to the rear shock tower. Secure the zip tie to the rear shock tower. Keep it fairly tight. You will notice that the zip tie runs past the cutout in the rear window. Reach through the rear window with one hand and grab the zip tie and lift the car. When you do this the tank flips open pretty much vertical and you can hold the car in the air with just the one hand. You then fuel it and drop it back onto the track and the tank snaps closed.

Pictures are worth a 1000 words...
vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:55 PM   #12612
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 845
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Anyone have demensions to the chassis of the mtx-3...?

Length and Width...
vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 09:29 PM   #12613
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Gardena, CA
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Tag
is there anyone here running a rdlogics turbo II pipe ? what exhaust gasket do you guys using ? i am kind of having some leakage problem, the header is a bit too big for my stock novarossi gasket ..
I had the same problem, found that the general silicone gaskets for a .15 work great and at my lhs also cheaper than some of the other options.
DocSafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 09:48 PM   #12614
Tag
Tech Master
 
Tag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Arcadia CA
Posts: 1,589
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Hi, thanks for the info i will give that a try..
Quote:
Originally posted by DocSafety
I had the same problem, found that the general silicone gaskets for a .15 work great and at my lhs also cheaper than some of the other options.
__________________
* Serpent 966 TE Novarossi 35+21, Airtronics M12 *
Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 09:50 PM   #12615
Tag
Tech Master
 
Tag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Arcadia CA
Posts: 1,589
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

does anyone knows what is the tire compund that comes with a the stock mtx-3 ? i have a set lying around and would like to try it next time around..thanks !
__________________
* Serpent 966 TE Novarossi 35+21, Airtronics M12 *
Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MUGEN MBX5R/MUGEN MBX5T PROSPEC/TRAXXAS RACE REVO Jason Halvorson R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 01-12-2008 10:32 AM
Mugen 5T Chassis, Mugen 46 Tooth Pinion, Associated Ride Height Gauge bretzkej R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 08-19-2007 06:31 PM
USA's Most Wanted FOR SALE Mugen MBX5R,Losi 8 comp, and Mugen MBX5T Prospec Truggy nobike R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 69 04-28-2007 07:45 PM
Another MTX3 prospec w lots of parts and an optional Mugen X12 w Mugen pipe Scott Fisher R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 11-21-2005 05:45 PM
drake xxx nt and mugen mst-1+extras......Looking for a kanai 2 or maybe mugen buggy [email protected] R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 06-30-2003 09:31 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:16 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net