Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-3

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by superk
Well...I love my MTX-3! bought it used 3years ago and still running it! I also run TM G4S but still feel better with the MTX-3. The only problem is that I can't run the MTX3 on the big track. Some how it top out half way though the track.

I planing on Racing it in GLC Toledo. I wonder if I can chage the whole pinion and sper set to MTX4. If so, what gear shold I use.
MTX4 has different gearing ratio than 3. Infact MTX4 is under gearing ( acceleration dominant ) while MTX3 is just perfect for acceleration and top speed.

Check your clutch setup. ........ maybe your clucth is slipping.

If you can, get the copy from Mike Swauger's article " how to build clucth " from RC extreme magazine.

I can scan you the article if you want.

I still keep my MTX3 and race it occasionally.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default MTX-3 Set Up

Robbie Collins Set up Sheet

Sorry but the file size is to large to post here, so send me an e-mail and I'll get the 3 pages out to anyone interested.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have 1st gen MTX3 that is not PRO SPEC.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default MTX-3 parts

Hey guys, new to rctech. Been in RC for over 10 years and racing for 5. I got out of the game a few years back when my local track closed down. A new track just opened up near my house so I decided to get back into the on-road scene. I got a great deal on a used mtx3 and the car is in excellent shape. I wish I had an MTX4 but I just couldn't pass up the great deal I got on my mtx3. I have been looking for a good group to share info with and learn more about the car and I think I came to the right place.

I am a bit concerned with parts becoming harder and harder to come by since the release of the MTX4. I have found a few places on-line that still carry parts for the 3 but what do you guys think on how much longer before parts become obsolete?

Im currently stocking up on parts since I have no plans on getting the mtx4 any time soon and plan on racing this car (for fun) at my local track. So far I have been pretty lucky at finding all the typical spare parts that I will need (in case I wreck) but do you guys know of any on-line hobby stores that still has a good inventory of mtx3 parts? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by almtx3
Hey guys, new to rctech. Been in RC for over 10 years and racing for 5. I got out of the game a few years back when my local track closed down. A new track just opened up near my house so I decided to get back into the on-road scene. I got a great deal on a used mtx3 and the car is in excellent shape. I wish I had an MTX4 but I just couldn't pass up the great deal I got on my mtx3. I have been looking for a good group to share info with and learn more about the car and I think I came to the right place.

I am a bit concerned with parts becoming harder and harder to come by since the release of the MTX4. I have found a few places on-line that still carry parts for the 3 but what do you guys think on how much longer before parts become obsolete?

Im currently stocking up on parts since I have no plans on getting the mtx4 any time soon and plan on racing this car (for fun) at my local track. So far I have been pretty lucky at finding all the typical spare parts that I will need (in case I wreck) but do you guys know of any on-line hobby stores that still has a good inventory of mtx3 parts? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

http://www.mugenracing.com

http://www.acehardwarehobbies.com

http://www.brooklynhobbies.com
Old 08-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks asw7576!
Old 08-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Almtx... welcome to rctech... being older isn't sinonym of bad. In fact, the MTX3 was a great car on which many people teethed their first runs on Nitro. Is a very docile car, this no means that's a grandma's car. Their window of tunning was very big, maybe too big, but that was another problem.

Is very durable and tough. Give yourself a time with the MTX3 and maybe for christmas you'll be looking for a MTX-4 who... in fact is another great car. Parts supply, at least on USA seems to be healthy.

My own MTX3 is a shelf queen since 14 months, it gave me good moments but some griefs too... watch out for the rear bulkheads, if you get a crash by the rear end, you could snap the small nipples where the rear shock tower is held to the chassis. Get a bag of them and keep them ever on your toolbox, this was one of the worst design 'flaws' that had, the rest of the car is very durable, but not indestructible.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by superk
Well...I love my MTX-3! bought it used 3years ago and still running it! I also run TM G4S but still feel better with the MTX-3. The only problem is that I can't run the MTX3 on the big track. Some how it top out half way though the track.

I planing on Racing it in GLC Toledo. I wonder if I can chage the whole pinion and sper set to MTX4. If so, what gear shold I use.
Switch to 0.8 pitch gears, they gave a longer ratio for such humongous tracks. 21/27 was a fine pinion cluster for the MTX3 on big tracks.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Corse-R
watch out for the rear bulkheads, if you get a crash by the rear end, you could snap the small nipples where the rear shock tower is held to the chassis. Get a bag of them and keep them ever on your toolbox, this was one of the worst design 'flaws' that had, the rest of the car is very durable, but not indestructible.
Thanks for the heads up Corse-R! Yeah I was told the MTX3 was a very well designed car and overall good performer. I have owned many RC on-road cars throughout the years and my last pro-level car was a Serpent Impact. Wish I would have never gotten rid of it, but oh well. Im looking forward to driving the mtx3 and seeing how it handles.

Just to clarify, I should get a set of rear bulkheads as in the link below correct?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/1930

Anything else I should stock up on? I already have on order the front upper and lower a-arms/front uprights/rear uprights/set of turnbuckles/brake pads/2speed clutch shoes and a few other normal wear and tear parts.

Last edited by almtx3; 08-28-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Just to clarify, I should get a set of rear bulkheads as in the link below correct?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/1930

Anything else I should stock up on? I already have on order the front upper and lower a-arms/front uprights/rear uprights/set of turnbuckles/brake pads/2speed clutch shoes and a few other normal wear and tear parts.
You do not need to order brake pads just because are the same as the MTX4 and MRX cars use, so... no need to rush about them. The same applies to clutch shoes (well.. having one or two in your spares doesn't hurt anyone, the best by far was the yellow one, you can safely skip the black and the gray) and 2 speed clutch shoes. Concentrate on all could be broken or wear: uprights, a-arms, etc, etc...

Turnbuckles.... If yours are in good shape, there's no need on ordering new ones, the stock ones are made in steel and are very durable. Look for a set of A-arm pins (front and rears - if the car gets crashed or was really bashed maybe aren't straight).

Don't break your wallet buying parts for a car that was really durable, only get the reasonable spare parts, is much better to have more cash on your pocket if someday you decide to go for a newer car rather than having a good chunk of money in spare parts for a car that you're planning to retire - buy reasonably.

Edit: Just forgot it... Yes, the link you provided are the rear bulkheads, get a bag of those and keep it near if you plan to race your car... not having them is a DNF and a pack to your home until the next day.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Corse-R
My own MTX3 is a shelf queen since 14 months, it gave me good moments but some griefs too... watch out for the rear bulkheads, if you get a crash by the rear end, you could snap the small nipples where the rear shock tower is held to the chassis. Get a bag of them and keep them ever on your toolbox, this was one of the worst design 'flaws' that had, the rest of the car is very durable, but not indestructible.

My MTX3 still racing

Shock tower parts to Rear bulkheads need 3x12mm button screws. Never ever broke in my car.

My MTX3 was my first serious nitro cars. I learn to drive with that..... I broke lots of front upright and front cvd. Nevertheless, the suspension arms and other parts remain the same since day 1.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Tech Champion

Exclusive to mtx3 items :

front & rear bulkheads, rear suspensions A,B,C blocks, front & rear lower suspension arms, rear body post tower, 4mm prospec chassis, middle radio plate tower, front & rear cvd, 2.5mm graphite radio plate, front one way, rear gear diff housing, belts, pulleys, hinge pins, stabilisers, front upper & lower bumpers.

Cross over parts with mtx4 :

front and rear uprights + front upper susp. arms ( I know they are slightly different, but can be use for the sake of easy replacement ), pivot balls, hex balls connectors, front servo housing + radio box, flywheel, clutch shoes, centax spring, clutch weights, centax plate, shock dampers parts, bearings, pulleys, allum. wheel hex, the whole things for 1st and 2nd spur gears ( 1st gear one way, 2speed clutcth shoe, 2nd gear housing, etc )

Cross over parts with mrx4-r :

brake plates, brake pads, clutch bell, centax spring locknut, flywheel locknut, clutch shoes, clutch weights, centax plate, shock dampers parts, pivot balls, hex balls connectors, front servo housing + radio box.

Last edited by asw7576; 08-29-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:50 AM
Tech Adept

I think the front uprights have been superceeded by the new lowered front uprights but if you add 4mm shims it will be the same as stock.

Second Gear clutch and spur's and one way etc are all the same as the MTX4 but I think the pulleys are different as the MTX3 has a different internal ratio.

The belts are also different and other than front uprights (for crash's) probably the item you will need to replace most often.

The rear sway bar is also the same for the 3 and 4
Old 08-29-2007, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

FYI - we just finished our Summer On Road Series. I was able to make 2nd in the A at one race, and ended up 5th overall with the MTX-3. This was a 6 race series at 3 different tracks here in Colorado. Not bad as we had 15 - 30 racers at each event. There were several other 3's that did quite well, but I did get some set up help from a past MTX-3 racer who is now running a MTX-4. Sounded like a good idea as he won the series!!

I'll agree on the strength of the 3, as I really gave it a pounding, and did not give up.

Thanks for the list of cross over parts, and if someone is really looking for some stuff, I have purchsed several close out groups on E-bay and even one hobby shop who put the parts in the "Bargin Box". I can't sell all the parts as I'm going to race it again next year, but if I can help let me know.

You might also try www.AshfordHobby.com for parts, as I know he still has some.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:14 AM
Tech Adept

I knew I had come to the right place! Thank you all for your help.

Corse-R - Great advice! I have so far taken the car apart, since it was used to give it a good one over and everything looks great. The car seems to be very well built and Im sure it can take a good hit. I understand that these cars are built well but I agree, they are not indestructible. Ordered 2 sets of bulkheads for now. The guys I race with are pretty aggressive so Im sure they will be coming up and nudging me every so often from the rear so thanks for the heads up.

asw7576 - Thanks for chiming in. Glad to hear that your mtx3 is still running strong!

ShrekNZ - I had read about the belts being different so I already purchased 2 complete sets of belts, thanks!

Corse-R do you know where I can order the yellow clutch shoes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.