Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Byron On-Road World Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 07:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Really enjoyed racing with Chris and Chad. Thanks for the pit help and servo arm in Homestead Chad. Looking forward to June. Ill be testing some off road motors out over the next few weeks if the weather up here ever clears up. MAXY has a red head 5 port that looks very promising and doesn't break the bank as Marcus said offroad modified might as well be onroad unlimited but whatever the rules let them be. Ill be there because you guys said it was a great event last year and i hate missing out on great events. Iron man / Thunder bunny or Iron Bunny whats the new nickname? wheres my PDF....lol????
Old 03-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thunderbunny
I can respect the rule, but I will say that I don't see an advantage. I do see a disadvantage though, splitting the class. Personally, I have both and I'm beginning to see that it's all about preference. I don't look at it as a rule change, so much as an evolution. My $0.02
You are correct....this split the class completely. But I don't see the reason why that need to be split. When using ON ROAD engine on 1/8th car, there is a class called OPEN 1/8th already. Those who want to use ON ROAD engine should continue racing the OPEN 1/8th class.

There is one good thing about NITRO racing when compare to electric....there are only 3 classes in NITRO around with 3 sets of rule, WORLD WIDE....1/10th TC, 1/8th open and 1/8th GT....thats all.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Just wanted to know where my motor fits in all this... REDS RACING M7T-GT

Thanks
Tony
Old 03-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

There have been many test and tunning sessions done regarding engines with our 1/8 GT cars. Some people just don't have enough knowledge base yet to make the right decisions moving forward with the rest of the country regarding the growth of the class overall. I'll respect the rules from the event with a thought of hoping organizer to grow with the knowledge we have gathered from the past several years from rest of country.

And yes I truly believe your engine should be legal everywhere we race our beloved GT8 cars Tony!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Thunderbunny
I can respect the rule, but I will say that I don't see an advantage. I do see a disadvantage though, splitting the class. Personally, I have both and I'm beginning to see that it's all about preference. I don't look at it as a rule change, so much as an evolution. My $0.02
Ditto to your comment Thunderbunny. I also respect their rule, unfortunately, it keeps me out of the race. I have three brand new on-road engines and just can not justify buying a new off-road engine to attend one race. It is disappointing to see rules that during the early days of GT8 were implemented to help grow the class, are not evolving and now are having the opposite effect.

I'm not advocating a rule change for the race, just stating why many of us avid GT8 racers may not be able to attend.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by tonylunatic
Just wanted to know where my motor fits in all this... REDS RACING M7T-GT

Thanks
Tony
Its not legal, Tony so please quit lobbying to change the rules, you just like the rest of us from Texas will need to buy a new engine to abide by the rules and run this event, not all of us have the Cody King hook up
Old 03-26-2013, 08:17 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Solara
You are correct....this split the class completely. But I don't see the reason why that need to be split. When using ON ROAD engine on 1/8th car, there is a class called OPEN 1/8th already. Those who want to use ON ROAD engine should continue racing the OPEN 1/8th class.

There is one good thing about NITRO racing when compare to electric....there are only 3 classes in NITRO around with 3 sets of rule, WORLD WIDE....1/10th TC, 1/8th open and 1/8th GT....thats all.
Edit......never mind, pointless argument
Old 03-26-2013, 10:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default engine rule

Without ruffling to many feathers here are a few quick opinions and facts.

FACT- This sport/hobby/fun-time is available for all who have some sort of disposable income and are willing to participate with full knowledge that we WILL BE SPENDING moneys on Engines,bodys,tires,parts,fuel,traveling,etc...

On top of the initial purchases, new innovations and the latest greatest parts that make you "cough cough" go faster it is inevitable that FUN & unfortunately cash being spent will be the 2 most consistent things you do. Notice the word FUN in caps because thats the reason we spend the money. If its not, imo you need to re-evaluate why you do this.

For those who have tremendous amounts of disposable income and this hobby doesn't spend enough of your money may I suggest you purchase a 1:1 Boat which is short for Bust out another thousand I am sure if spending money is your fun boating will be your crack.

I personally am of the opinion of the open engine format but that has Nothing to do with this thread and is my opinion only, and am in hope that the GT8 community will adapt it so we can squash this topic for the future of this class.

IMO when traveling we racers should ALWAYS be able to adapt to the rules the track provides especially "reasonable rules" 99.9% of the time the rules are more than reasonable.

I have a very hard time believing that so many people are having a hard time complying with a off road engine rule. Most all of us if honest with each other would agree we have a few thousand dollars tied up between our car,servos,radio,tires, engines etc.... This rule can not be that hard to comply with.

Since this is the case and we OBVIOUSLY want to race, this engine rule really shouldn't be that painful. I have run probably a minimum of 25 different on/off road combinations in GT8 and have had great success with both. This Byrons Race is approx 13 weeks away, if you saved a measly 25 dollars a week you could buy a brand NEW BONITO.

The Byrons race has been run for sometime and from what I understand is a top notch facility so lets just adapt to there rules especially those of us that claim to be sponsored making it even easier for us to afford it.

I have yet to hear a GT racer say they did not have a good time at the Byrons race.

Remember not that long ago we used to have to run stock and terrible spec engines, we have come a long way.

Great Onroad facility's are getting harder to come by, I hope we can all see that these rules at the Byrons race are reasonable and not make excuses and have a good time.

GL to all who attend
Old 03-27-2013, 12:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by tonylunatic
This might help. There are airports that you could fly in and out of most of the guys I know flew out of Midway in Chicago, IL.

As for hotels most are in Joliet or surrounding towns, all pretty close to track.

I posted some pics that might help some folks see the demographic of the area and of course show track location the(star) and pic of facilities!!
Why can't we have something like this in So Cal?!!! Not that I'm saying that Greater LA raceway it not nice but I want a dedicated RC race track that's big!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:07 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by *1speedy
Without ruffling to many feathers here are a few quick opinions and facts.

FACT- This sport/hobby/fun-time is available for all who have some sort of disposable income and are willing to participate with full knowledge that we WILL BE SPENDING moneys on Engines,bodys,tires,parts,fuel,traveling,etc...

On top of the initial purchases, new innovations and the latest greatest parts that make you "cough cough" go faster it is inevitable that FUN & unfortunately cash being spent will be the 2 most consistent things you do. Notice the word FUN in caps because thats the reason we spend the money. If its not, imo you need to re-evaluate why you do this.

For those who have tremendous amounts of disposable income and this hobby doesn't spend enough of your money may I suggest you purchase a 1:1 Boat which is short for Bust out another thousand I am sure if spending money is your fun boating will be your crack.

I personally am of the opinion of the open engine format but that has Nothing to do with this thread and is my opinion only, and am in hope that the GT8 community will adapt it so we can squash this topic for the future of this class.

IMO when traveling we racers should ALWAYS be able to adapt to the rules the track provides especially "reasonable rules" 99.9% of the time the rules are more than reasonable.

I have a very hard time believing that so many people are having a hard time complying with a off road engine rule. Most all of us if honest with each other would agree we have a few thousand dollars tied up between our car,servos,radio,tires, engines etc.... This rule can not be that hard to comply with.

Since this is the case and we OBVIOUSLY want to race, this engine rule really shouldn't be that painful. I have run probably a minimum of 25 different on/off road combinations in GT8 and have had great success with both. This Byrons Race is approx 13 weeks away, if you saved a measly 25 dollars a week you could buy a brand NEW BONITO.

The Byrons race has been run for sometime and from what I understand is a top notch facility so lets just adapt to there rules especially those of us that claim to be sponsored making it even easier for us to afford it.

I have yet to hear a GT racer say they did not have a good time at the Byrons race.

Remember not that long ago we used to have to run stock and terrible spec engines, we have come a long way.

Great Onroad facility's are getting harder to come by, I hope we can all see that these rules at the Byrons race are reasonable and not make excuses and have a good time.

GL to all who attend
I dont think many disagree with what you say and it would be different if this rule were in place for more events buts its just this one! Sure i could go buy a bonito but it would only be used for this event, thus a waste of money (400.00 buys alot of tires,fuel and bodies!)on top of the many other expenses to get to this event! If i knew for a fact that the international and championship series events were off-road engine only this discussion wouldnt even take place.But thats not the case! Its boils down to this, to get from TX to Chicago and race the weekend is roughly 700 with a flight,hotel and car for most, thats not easy to do which is why some are even driving (which is crazy!!) but i have to work so thats not an option. 700 to 1100 is a hefty jump for a weekend of fun.

The rules have been laid down and its obvious they will not change, that is fine. So there really is no point in even discussing it further because it just doesnt matter. Just know that at least 1/2 dozen Texans(probably more) that were ready to go will not be there this year JUST because of this rule and this rule only. 10 of us made the trek to Homestead and all of us were planning to come to this event, we all talked about it in Homestead!

At any rate this event will be a blast for those that are going to attend and I look forward to seeing some vid action and the results!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Or, how about you and the half dozen Texans write your concerns to the event organizers and see if you can change there mind, instead of debating it on the forums. I agree with you that the engine rule does not matter (should be open) since your half dozen Texans outnumber the amount of 1/8 GT club racers I've seen at Leisure ALL last fall! . I would email them and see where it goes. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Reserved pitspace with table and chairs!

To whom ever may know, do we have to pay for reserved pit space (w/table & chairs in advance ) along with the race entrance fee?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by upncoming
To whom ever may know, do we have to pay for reserved pit space (w/table & chairs in advance ) along with the race entrance fee?
I would call Leisure hours raceway.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:32 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TAMAK
Or, how about you and the half dozen Texans write your concerns to the event organizers and see if you can change there mind, instead of debating it on the forums. I agree with you that the engine rule does not matter (should be open) since your half dozen Texans outnumber the amount of 1/8 GT club racers I've seen at Leisure ALL last fall! . I would email them and see where it goes. Good luck!
I thought Jlock was running the show or Solara?? I am pretty sure that the RD knows about it by now!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TAMAK
I would call Leisure hours raceway.
Thank you Tamak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.