Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Byron On-Road World Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

This event is an Awesome event and the track is beautiful, I am still on the fence on attending or not. But I would like to point out that the only person or people that should have a say so on the rules for the event should only be Byrons and its represenitives.

This is the "Byrons Nitro Challenge" hosted by Leisure Hours........

In my book Byrons should set the rules and thats that, but no one from their camp has chimed in on the topic.

This is a Great class with great people that has evolved and is growing quickly, I personally have invested a great deal of time and money in projects currently in the works to see this class grow to new and exciting heights.

What ever is decided or not decided, its really up to you in the end.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I plan to go to this race, so I'm going to make a point and drop a bundle on an off-road engine that will be modded and tweaked to get everything out of it I can. I'm sure it will end up being as fast and costly as any on-road engine I could put in. This engine limiting debate is a silly waste of time and money. It's unfortunate that we all end up spending on new engines for one event. Why do only off-road when like me drivers will spend as much getting an 0ff-road ready as a decent on-road. This will be my way of protesting the engine rule. I seriously debated not going over this engine rule. I just got back from the Airtronics grand prix and not having an engine rule made it much more relaxed.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by tonylunatic
This event is an Awesome event and the track is beautiful, I am still on the fence on attending or not. But I would like to point out that the only person or people that should have a say so on the rules for the event should only be Byrons and its represenitives.

This is the "Byrons Nitro Challenge" hosted by Leisure Hours........

In my book Byrons should set the rules and thats that, but no one from their camp has chimed in on the topic.

This is a Great class with great people that has evolved and is growing quickly, I personally have invested a great deal of time and money in projects currently in the works to see this class grow to new and exciting heights.

What ever is decided or not decided, its really up to you in the end.
I actually thought Solara and Jlock were representing Leisure.

Originally Posted by spooky 1
I plan to go to this race, so I'm going to make a point and drop a bundle on an off-road engine that will be modded and tweaked to get everything out of it I can. I'm sure it will end up being as fast and costly as any on-road engine I could put in. This engine limiting debate is a silly waste of time and money. It's unfortunate that we all end up spending on new engines for one event. Why do only off-road when like me drivers will spend as much getting an 0ff-road ready as a decent on-road. This will be my way of protesting the engine rule. I seriously debated not going over this engine rule. I just got back from the Airtronics grand prix and not having an engine rule made it much more relaxed.
EXACTLY what i would do! I made that same point earlier.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:39 PM
Tech Adept

I will get with the decision makers to see what the final answer to this engine issue will be. Unfortunately one person is on vacation till Sunday and I will not bother him on his vacation. So please everyone hang tight till then. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

**Drum roll**
Old 03-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'll be holding my breathe , Mike so hurry.JK
Old 03-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I am FAR (way far) for being representing Leisure hours....if there are any confusion for anyone, I am sorry about that. I raced Nitro only 1 race/event a year...nitro is not what i enjoy anymore (compare to electric) I just want to race this event and the GT class because I think this class is easy to handle and alot cheaper compare to TC and Open 1/8th.

I was asking the original engine question because I don't know is there any solid rule about engine for this event. I cannot seems to find it online nor from last year thread.....thats why RcmikeL answered me there are no cap on the cost of the engine but ONLY OFF ROAD ENGINE ALLOWED (and NO RALLY ENGINE). That is the rule I respected and I am more then happy to know that so I purchased a legal off road buggy engine immediately after.

I was not here to make argument at all....if Mike or LHR replied me it is OPEN engine rule....I will accept that now. But I am not going to change my order for my buggy engine because I believed it does not matter. However, I like the idea of OFF ROAD engine only is simply because I think that fits GT class more. Just my opinion....and my opinion does not matter to anyone of you including the race organization.....because, I race once a year. Then the engine and everything will be on EBAY.....and then I will do it all over again for next year.

For this event...I am sure LEISURE HOURS and Rcmikel can finalize the motor rule.

For me, attending this event is alot more important then the RULE of the class. I entered this event just to see some good old friends...some even come all the way from the other side of the world.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Modified Nova P5XLT for GT cars

I have been following this thread for a while since I will be running the GT cars and have notice all the talk about the motor rules for this race.
I would like to take this opportunity to let you guys know that i will be modifying off road motors for this class. I decided to go with the P5XLT because is good, fast, and reliable platform for a good price. The motor will have a good balance between infield performance and top end speed. I already started testing the modified motor and the results look very promesing.
the motor will have a silicone filled crank, revised timing. Adjustments to compression, exhaust, improved flow dynamics, changes to head button and more.
I look forward to attending this race and showing what this motor is capable of.
Also I will be attending several GT races here in Texas before then.

i will have more info later and on another thread, if you guys would like more info email me at [email protected]
Old 03-28-2013, 10:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spooky 1
+1
5 port off road motor $$$
Modified Internals $$$$
Having everyone thinking your running a On-road MOD motor PRICELESS!!!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Motor rule for 1/8 GT

I have an Idea on the engine rule for the race organizers, why not just limit the size of the carburetor restrictor. Have an open motor rule, (off-road or on-road motor) and limit the restrictor to a maximum of 7mm for example.
A 5,7,9,or 11 port motor will not have an advantage when they can not breathe.
It is just an Idea, I'm trying to understand both sides of the argument and this is the best happy medium I can think off for this class.
On one side you have the people that already have on-road motors and don't want to invest on new motors just for this race. On the other hand we need to understand that this is a relatively new and developing class that has a lot of potential to grow mainly because the initial cost is not as costly and a new racer starting out trying to compete with on-road motors its just not fair.

If everybody has a restrictor on their motors makes it a plain level field, in my opinion if you can make your motor go faster than your competition with the same restrictor then that is what racing is all about, go faster given the limitations.
Share your thoughts
Old 03-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcmikel
I will get with the decision makers to see what the final answer to this engine issue will be. Unfortunately one person is on vacation till Sunday and I will not bother him on his vacation. So please everyone hang tight till then. Thanks.
Whats the fuel line rule Mike? I kept my old one will that work?
Old 03-29-2013, 04:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default fuel tube

I don't think you can rap the inside of your car with the fuel tubing.lol
Old 03-29-2013, 06:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by PT RC Racing
I have an Idea on the engine rule for the race organizers, why not just limit the size of the carburetor restrictor. Have an open motor rule, (off-road or on-road motor) and limit the restrictor to a maximum of 7mm for example.
A 5,7,9,or 11 port motor will not have an advantage when they can not breathe.
It is just an Idea, I'm trying to understand both sides of the argument and this is the best happy medium I can think off for this class.
On one side you have the people that already have on-road motors and don't want to invest on new motors just for this race. On the other hand we need to understand that this is a relatively new and developing class that has a lot of potential to grow mainly because the initial cost is not as costly and a new racer starting out trying to compete with on-road motors its just not fair.

If everybody has a restrictor on their motors makes it a plain level field, in my opinion if you can make your motor go faster than your competition with the same restrictor then that is what racing is all about, go faster given the limitations.
Share your thoughts
VERY good idea.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
VERY good idea.
It was also a very good idea last year when it was proposed during the ROAR GT rules debate... and it's still a very good idea. The problem with almost any other motor rule is it becomes impossible to tech, especially if you're teching during the qualifiers after each run. Carb restrictors are a snap, however - pull off the air filter, a simple go/no go gauge and your done.

Who knows - if it works, maybe using carb restrictors could even spread to full size racing, like maybe to limit speeds in NASCAR at fast tracks...

(Just think about that seriously for a minute. NASCAR obviously has the means, money, etc to do whatever they wanted to tech wise to limit engine power -- and what did they do???)
Old 03-31-2013, 10:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rcmikel
Mike,
Thanks in advance for bringing this up to the cordinators. I am in favor of an open format even though I run an off-road engine. When I first got into this class I felt strongly that it should be off-road only. 2 1/2 years later I have found that there isn't a distinctive advantage and more just a personal preference when deciding off or on-road. The nice thing about the discussion that we have had is that it seems everyone seems to be open to it. I think the ultimate goal is that everyone wants this to be a successful race without excluding anyone from coming. Personally I think the attendance will be much larger if they open it up. What we need in the GT8 class this year at races are large turnouts, period! The race in Homestead was a huge success with an open format with no drama that I am aware of. I was impressed with their tech format between races too. I had a blast in Homestead and look to having a blast at the Byron's Challenge too. This class is growing in our part of the country and I am looking forward to racing with a large group in June. Hopefully if anyone is opposed to allowing on-road engines to join this race that they would speak up. So far I have not heard anyone apposed to the idea. See you in June either way, I look forward to racing with you again Mike!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.