Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-4

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by asw7576
It's possible since the engine bay is way too small. eg. rear stabilizer touch 2nd gear holder, the clutchbell almost touch the 2nd gear holder, and uneasy to remove the engine by opening the four screws on top, etc.

However, I never get that problem because I had already increase the height of rear brace during buildinng it for easy engine removal reason ( I only have to remove the rear side pulley and slide through the engine ).
asw, that's a good idea. What kind of spacers did you use, and does it still butt up against the CF top deck for security? Are you running the stock plastic brace?
Old 06-12-2006, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi,

Skyline RC has a new Rear Upper Arm Mount with 3 more holes than the stock. The plate is also thicker being 3mm vs. the 2.5mm stock plate. So far feedback has been good. We've been using it at the Nationals track this year this past week and it really seems to help fine tune the car setup. The longer camber link option really gives me a better balance on my car for this track.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Are you guys having any problems with the large front bumper dragging on the track? I raced for the first time yesterday, and lost a lot of steering in my main. I am not a good driver yet and hit plenty of turn berms, and slowly bent my bumper to where it would drag on the track. My ride height was pretty low after the 30 min main, but I think the bumper still needs some work done it. Are there any aftermarket bumpers or any other mods. I think I need the bumper to protect my front end until I'm a better driver.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Tech Adept

First thing, stop hitting stuff! I know it's easier said than done. Second, Do you need to run the hard front bumper or can you get away with running the foam bumper by itself? The kit should come with a small plastic piece that you use instead of the large front bumper.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kidDynomite
asw, that's a good idea. What kind of spacers did you use, and does it still butt up against the CF top deck for security? Are you running the stock plastic brace?
sorry kid and asw..i didnt get that problem..can you detail little bit more.. i would like to check mine too..
Old 06-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Adim_X
Are you guys having any problems with the large front bumper dragging on the track? I raced for the first time yesterday, and lost a lot of steering in my main. I am not a good driver yet and hit plenty of turn berms, and slowly bent my bumper to where it would drag on the track. My ride height was pretty low after the 30 min main, but I think the bumper still needs some work done it. Are there any aftermarket bumpers or any other mods. I think I need the bumper to protect my front end until I'm a better driver.
Adim, when I started out racing Kyosho's, I always used there wide front bumper that was actually for 1/10 Lola/Outlaw class. It's similar to the Mugen's but a bit wider and beefier. Since our old club parking lot was a bit on the low-traction side and had killer 2x4 barriers, it was the only way for me to go. It kept me in a lot of races. Being a newby, sometime you start of well, but there are times where the pressure just makes you baboon everything. Even then, the Kyosho plastic bumper does what you discribed and throws off handling. I would suggest trying the Parma uncut foam bumper. It's similar to the very hard foam Pdub bumpers. Just cut it to fit your body and sand it down. It should last you a while or till you get more experience and hit less things. Like Justin said, it's easier said then done.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MAVICXXX
sorry kid and asw..i didnt get that problem..can you detail little bit more.. i would like to check mine too..

MAV, I believe that this is why 2nd gear spur is stripping for a lot of people.

-Pull the spurs off
-Slide the 2nd gear clutch shoes off
-Inspect to see if the clutch shoe is rubbing the stock plastic engine brace.

When I looked at mine. There was...
-Rub marks on the shoes and the engine brace
-There was even more wear where the two shoe meet (this is the main problem)

When the 2nd gear engages and locks the spur to the main shaft. The shoes split apart which allows it to start nicking away at the engine brace. This causes stress on the gears rotation, but the pinion doesn't care and starts to eat away at the spur.

Guys who run on tracks with tight infields and maybe 1 decent straight may not have the 2nd gear problem. But guys who really top off and hit second gear a few times a lap may see this problem quite often.

I'm not sure if any of the aftermarket engine braces solves the problem, but I think grinding the stock brace down and like someone suggested here, put a shim between the 2nd gear clutch and bulkhead. It may work. ASW was suggesting to raise the brace with some spacers which also allows for easy engine removal.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

Last edited by kidDynomite; 06-12-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:34 PM
Tech Champion

Add 0.2mm shim between the pin and bearing on the main shaft.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

i havent had this problem as yet but is definately worth looking into
thanks for the tip
cheers
joe
Old 06-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kidDynomite
Yes, I'm using stock plastic brace.

You can find the spacer from shock limiter or wheelbase adjuster. 4mm Hard plastic is the best.

Sorry, I don't understand what do you mean with "does it still butt up against the CF top deck for security?"

I guess you don't have to take out the brace anymore to remove engine.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MAVICXXX
We were talking about the height of engine brace.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks again for the info, asw.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Sorry, I don't understand what do you mean with "does it still butt up against the CF top deck for security?"
i think he means, does the brace still butt up to the carbon fibre top plate or does the spacer butt up only now
Old 06-13-2006, 03:45 AM
Tech Champion

The spacers are not butt up the carbon fibre.

BTW, I met Kenji Osaka today, he is in Jakarta now and I asked for his signature on my car hehehe.....

I'll show you after painting is done.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Adim_X
Just use the smaller one, what absorbs the impact isn't the large bumper is the foam that goes over it. And with the time, the large bumper falls by their extremes and touches the surface, causing weird handling problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.