R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Serpent Cobra GT (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/594770-serpent-cobra-gt.html)

Joseph16 04-22-2013 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by pressure (Post 12074016)
mid off power if I had to choose ...I have been told Im a on\off driver....

If you want more rotation in the rear off power use a 30k.
Try using a softer bar in the rear too, that may help you, but try one thing at the time so can identified that changes.

bassman2 04-22-2013 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by team mugen (Post 12073354)
Thanks for all the tips on the gt set up. We just had our first GT race here in the Philippines and my Cobra was fast and planted during the qualifying till the 1 hour main. TQd and got 1st after the long 1 hour main with my Novarossi bonito /buku/sweep tire. Here s a couple pictures.
[IMG]http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/...421_181136.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/...13942903_n.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/...421_105852.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/...421_115034.jpg[/IMG]

It is so nice to see 1/8 GT is growing in the country of Philippines as well. Keep up the good work guys. I would like to go there and do some 1/8 GT racings with guys as well.

MantisWorx 04-22-2013 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by pressure (Post 12074016)
mid off power if I had to choose ...I have been told Im a on\off driver....

Lower your rear roll center by raising the inner link mounting point, The car will rotate into the turn off power.

team mugen 04-23-2013 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by bassman2 (Post 12075554)
It is so nice to see 1/8 GT is growing in the country of Philippines as well. Keep up the good work guys. I would like to go there and do some 1/8 GT racings with guys as well.

Hey Bassman: thanks bro and we will be happy to set a race if you happen to visit Philippines . Im very positive that 1/8 GT will grow in numbers. We have enough supports from Dogdone hobby shop here who carry serpent, novarossi, sweep and other stuff. Have fun bro.

Will share a short video of our race once im done uploading it

scary_jerry 04-23-2013 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by team mugen (Post 12076668)
Hey Bassman: thanks bro and we will be happy to set a race if you happen to visit Philippines . Im very positive that 1/8 GT will grow in numbers. We have enough supports from Dogdone hobby shop here who carry serpent, novarossi, sweep and other stuff. Have fun bro.

Will share a short video of our race once im done uploading it

Great job on the race and your 'pictorial' to share with the rest of us GT/IGT types.

'BASSMAN' might need a fishing pole for that 'down-time' when he's not 'tweaking' his car !!!! :D

Is that 'HongNor' a 'buggy-conversion' they race in GT ?????? :cool:

team mugen 04-23-2013 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by scary_jerry (Post 12076709)
Great job on the race and your 'pictorial' to share with the rest of us GT/IGT types.

'BASSMAN' might need a fishing pole for that 'down-time' when he's not 'tweaking' his car !!!! :D

Is that 'HongNor' a 'buggy-conversion' they race in GT ?????? :cool:

Thanks bro. Thats the hongnor DM one. I dont think its the buggy conversion kit

mcsquish 04-23-2013 01:27 PM

Please forgive my ignorance... I am wondering what the difference is between the stock suspension brackets and the optional ones? Also, is there a on-line hobby shop that carries Serpent parts that is near Ohio? I am looking for a place I can order parts in an emergency without having to pay a ton for quick shipping; by the time mlhs orders parts and I receive them it takes about 4 days.

jmoneym 04-23-2013 04:46 PM

Anybody using the Werks 32mm clutch setup?

team mugen 04-23-2013 09:53 PM

Bassman, here is the short video of our First GT race in the Philippines. 1st on the grid is my green car serpent and 2nd on the grid is another serpent car. Thanks

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

favo 04-24-2013 06:22 AM

Hi team mugen

What kind of Novarossi motors and pipe combo did you guys use please ?

Thanks.........;)

scary_jerry 04-24-2013 07:09 AM

team mugen...............:D

Thanks for the race video. That first six minutes with 1 and 2 was intense. Showed some great driving AND sportsmanship. That sure looked like a great bunch of 'happy racers'.

I know that will get 'Bassman's' juices flowing !!!!!:sneaky:

I am also curious as to which Nova engines you guys are using........

Thanks

desotoracing 04-24-2013 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by mcsquish (Post 12078442)
Please forgive my ignorance... I am wondering what the difference is between the stock suspension brackets and the optional ones? Also, is there a on-line hobby shop that carries Serpent parts that is near Ohio? I am looking for a place I can order parts in an emergency without having to pay a ton for quick shipping; by the time mlhs orders parts and I receive them it takes about 4 days.

600266 Higher rear lower pin (higher rear roll center)
600267 Lower rear lower pin (lower rear roll center)

600265 Use it to put more anti-squat on the rear

DRRC 04-24-2013 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by team mugen (Post 12080246)
Bassman, here is the short video of our First GT race in the Philippines. 1st on the grid is my green car serpent and 2nd on the grid is another serpent car. Thanks

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Good racing
How new is the track? I have been to GP raceway and race at CV when there but where is this track located
Might go this summer and try it out

If I remember edward you were at the TC Elec World championships at Thailand and heard you did well
congratulations

DRRC 04-24-2013 08:14 AM

what set up is everyone using
I am using the stock 300k F and 40K front but it is not responsive and wont turn in quick. Paolo's set up says 200K and will try it. Is this a good set up for Porter track?

team mugen 04-24-2013 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by favo (Post 12081061)
Hi team mugen

What kind of Novarossi motors and pipe combo did you guys use please ?

Thanks.........;)

Hello. Im using the Novarossi bonito tuned with 41001 manifold n 9886 tunepipe. Its fantastic. Some other drivers use the Novarossi btt world champ with the same manifold n tunepipe.

team mugen 04-24-2013 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by scary_jerry (Post 12081210)
team mugen...............:D

Thanks for the race video. That first six minutes with 1 and 2 was intense. Showed some great driving AND sportsmanship. That sure looked like a great bunch of 'happy racers'.

I know that will get 'Bassman's' juices flowing !!!!!:sneaky:

I am also curious as to which Nova engines you guys are using........

Thanks

Thanks bro. It was great first race of GT. I use the nova bonito tuned n others use the btt world champ. Its great.

team mugen 04-24-2013 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by DRRC (Post 12081435)
Good racing
How new is the track? I have been to GP raceway and race at CV when there but where is this track located
Might go this summer and try it out

If I remember edward you were at the TC Elec World championships at Thailand and heard you did well
congratulations

Drrc- track just officially open about a month ago n its near mindanao ave. . Thanks

mcsquish 04-24-2013 01:25 PM

I'm building the car and I have a question concerning the diffs, in the manual it shows a thin shim that goes between the O-ring and the pin that holds the outdrive/diff gear. I did not have that shim in my kit, I’m guessing that a shim actually does not go there. I have had other kits that show a shim in the manual, but there is not one in the kit.

Thanks

d OG black flag 04-24-2013 01:28 PM

does any one if you can change gear combination or not on the cobra and if so how? it seems i can place a 16/20 on my cobra. thanks.

1966ss 04-24-2013 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by mcsquish (Post 12082340)
I'm building the car and I have a question concerning the diffs, in the manual it shows a thin shim that goes between the O-ring and the pin that holds the outdrive/diff gear. I did not have that shim in my kit, I’m guessing that a shim actually does not go there. I have had other kits that show a shim in the manual, but there is not one in the kit.

Thanks

i believe it was mentioned pages back but the original kits took the shim bc it had different gears i believe was the reason. regardless you dont need the shims you can just put it together.

1966ss 04-24-2013 03:04 PM

my 2 speed seems to have a bit of play forward and back. enough that the outdrive clipped the corner of the radio tray. im running the plastic 2 speed holder. will the aluminum help this? anyway to shim the play out? thanks

desotoracing 04-24-2013 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by mcsquish (Post 12082340)

Thanks

The v1 version diff gears used the washers. The v2 version of the diff gears do not use the washer. If your kit is newish it won't have/use the washers.

desotoracing 04-24-2013 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by 1966ss (Post 12082656)
my 2 speed seems to have a bit of play forward and back. enough that the outdrive clipped the corner of the radio tray. im running the plastic 2 speed holder. will the aluminum help this? anyway to shim the play out? thanks

Use 600354 or 600356 shims to take the excess play out.

mcsquish 04-25-2013 07:12 AM

Thanks for the replies.

desotoracing 04-29-2013 07:41 AM

Cobra GTs dominated Nova Challenge in Porter, TX taking the top 3 spots in Qualifying and the Main.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...94534161_n.jpg

1evo RRR Driver 04-29-2013 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by desotoracing (Post 12097615)
Cobra GTs dominated Nova Challenge in Porter, TX taking the top 3 spots in Qualifying and the Main.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...94534161_n.jpg

Desoto it's a guy in the "onroad recommendation thread". Looking to buy a cobra gt. might wanna make him a offer he can't refuse. His avatar is "dropabomb"

chaderick 04-29-2013 11:23 AM

My Serpent was awesome this weekend at the Novarossi Challenge. We had over 25+ entries in GT8 and the majority were Serpents. Prior to the race I replaced my year old front control arms due to them warping from use. I got to the track and after Round 1 of qualifying I saw that Tony Luna w/ Lunatic Racing Products had a set of control arm braces that he invented on his Serpent. I bought a set from him and was amazed on the difference it made on my car. I was surprised how much my control arms straightened out. Even the new front arms had some signs of straightening. What I noticed before even putting the car on the track was that my setup changed due to the condition of the arms prior to installing the braces. I had to reevaluate my current ride height and droop before the next qualifier. What I found is that my setup values had changed and I made the necessary adjustments. Even though the track conditions slowed the qualifying times I noticed immediately that the car turned better in the corners and made it more precise under high speed turns. What I like about the braces is the better feel for the car, the fact that I won't have to replace arms due to them warping under loads, and my setup will be more accurate from here on. I will post a photo of the braces tonight. These braces will soon be available thru Lunatic Racing Products (LRP) and will be available at GT8sports.com soon!!
Thanks Tony!! See you at the Texas Biggie on Memorial Day at Rendon, TX!

Team STPN 04-29-2013 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by 1evo RRR Driver (Post 12097631)
Desoto it's a guy in the "onroad recommendation thread". Looking to buy a cobra gt. might wanna make him a offer he can't refuse. His avatar is "dropabomb"

Why aren't you getting one??:confused::confused:
I have 2 cobras, one for me that is hooked up and one for Scotty not hooked up so I can kick his butt!!:eek::nod::ha::ha:
Probably the only time I can beat him though: sneaky::sneaky:

MantisWorx 04-30-2013 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by chaderick (Post 12098375)
My Serpent was awesome this weekend at the Novarossi Challenge. We had over 25+ entries in GT8 and the majority were Serpents. Prior to the race I replaced my year old front control arms due to them warping from use. I got to the track and after Round 1 of qualifying I saw that Tony Luna w/ Lunatic Racing Products had a set of control arm braces that he invented on his Serpent. I bought a set from him and was amazed on the difference it made on my car. I was surprised how much my control arms straightened out. Even the new front arms had some signs of straightening. What I noticed before even putting the car on the track was that my setup changed due to the condition of the arms prior to installing the braces. I had to reevaluate my current ride hide and droop before the next qualifier. What I found is that my setup values had changed and I made the necessary adjustments. Even though the track conditions slowed the qualifying times I noticed immediately that the car turned better in the corners and made it more precise under high speed turns. What I like about the braces is the better feel for the car, the fact that I won't have to replace arms due to them warping under loads, and my setup will be more accurate from here on. I will post a photo of the braces tonight. These braces will soon be available thru Lunatic Racing Products (LRP) and will be available at GT8sports.com soon!!

I am glad you liked the arms, I originally designed them for the TeamC car for the same reasons and then realized that the Serpent arms needed help too! The 2 stage pistons help even more with corner speed and really plant the car, most noticeable in transitioning. BTW i need my pipe back for this weekend in brownsville, think you can ship it to me ASAP?

WildBillMassey 04-30-2013 12:40 PM

Congrats to Team IGT Hobbies driver Chad Kiffe for a 2nd place podium finish!

BardSmith 05-01-2013 10:53 PM

I'm about to head out with my new GT for a race weekend, which spare parts or option parts should I stock up on? What's breaking out there? Ideas... thoughts...

Dortiz68 05-02-2013 05:43 AM

In the short few months that I've had my GT8 I haven't broken a single part. The car has been very solid for me although I will admit that mine has a lot of the aluminum hop ups. The only things I have had to change due to break is a stripped gear and that was completely my fault.

I have seen the plastic servo saver wear a bit causing some slop and I know a lot of guys elect the stiffer spring for improved steering. Other than that, having spares for set up changes is what I see most at our local track of a dozen or so GT8 racers.

I'll let the more experienced guys respond on set up parts or other concerns, but in my experience the Serpent GT8 is pretty solid.

Good luck at the races!

Phil Trotta 05-02-2013 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by BardSmith (Post 12108190)
I'm about to head out with my new GT for a race weekend, which spare parts or option parts should I stock up on? What's breaking out there? Ideas... thoughts...

I have not broken a part but you must make sure you lock tight certain places extra careful. Like the pinions in the front and rear differentials and the pins in the wheel hubs.

As far as hop ups aluminum clutch shoes. At least two matched with two carbon ( stock shoes ). Heavy clutch spring for the Aluminum shoes

If you need more turn in off power. 10 degree front caster blocks with zero degree knuckles

Also aluminum bulkhead for brakes with upgraded brakes. They don't fade ..

You can get everything from Desoto Racing ....

Dortiz68 05-02-2013 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by chaderick (Post 12098375)
My Serpent was awesome this weekend at the Novarossi Challenge. We had over 25+ entries in GT8 and the majority were Serpents. Prior to the race I replaced my year old front control arms due to them warping from use. I got to the track and after Round 1 of qualifying I saw that Tony Luna w/ Lunatic Racing Products had a set of control arm braces that he invented on his Serpent. I bought a set from him and was amazed on the difference it made on my car. I was surprised how much my control arms straightened out. Even the new front arms had some signs of straightening. What I noticed before even putting the car on the track was that my setup changed due to the condition of the arms prior to installing the braces. I had to reevaluate my current ride hide and droop before the next qualifier. What I found is that my setup values had changed and I made the necessary adjustments. Even though the track conditions slowed the qualifying times I noticed immediately that the car turned better in the corners and made it more precise under high speed turns. What I like about the braces is the better feel for the car, the fact that I won't have to replace arms due to them warping under loads, and my setup will be more accurate from here on. I will post a photo of the braces tonight. These braces will soon be available thru Lunatic Racing Products (LRP) and will be available at GT8sports.com soon!!

+1 on the LRP arm braces. I've been running these on my car the last month and have realized improvements in the corners as Chad mentioned. I also have the RC Shox 2-stage pistons on my GT8. Last weekend was the 1st race with the Arm Braces & 2-stage pistons and they both performed great. My laptime have become more consistent since these additions. Now it's time to figure out a way to get faster.

Daniel

jmoneym 05-02-2013 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dortiz68 (Post 12109354)
+1 on the LRP arm braces. I've been running these on my car the last month and have realized improvements in the corners as Chad mentioned. I also have the RC Shox 2-stage pistons on my GT8. Last weekend was the 1st race with the Arm Braces & 2-stage pistons and they both performed great. My laptime have become more consistent since these additions. Now it's time to figure out a way to get faster.

Daniel

Where can you get the braces?

MantisWorx 05-02-2013 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by jmoneym (Post 12110530)
Where can you get the braces?

Contact Tony Luna @ GT8sports.com

dropabomb 05-02-2013 05:49 PM

Who has the best price for the gt kit?

BardSmith 05-02-2013 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by JACK HAMMER (Post 12108759)
I have not broken a part but you must make sure you lock tight certain places extra careful. Like the pinions in the front and rear differentials and the pins in the wheel hubs.

As far as hop ups aluminum clutch shoes. At least two matched with two carbon ( stock shoes ). Heavy clutch spring for the Aluminum shoes

If you need more turn in off power. 10 degree front caster blocks with zero degree knuckles

Also aluminum bulkhead for brakes with upgraded brakes. They don't fade ..

You can get everything from Desoto Racing ....

Thanks for info JackH. Do you please have part numbers for the aluminum bulkhead for brakes with upgraded brakes? Do you mean the center diff holder?

Jazza 05-03-2013 02:29 AM

Changing Pinions

Hi guy's this may seem a dumb question so please forgive.

On the GT clutch bells to remove the first & second gear pinions.
What tool do you use to hold the actual clutch bell??

I tried using a pair of pliers, but that started to distort the clutch bell itself.

Cheers Darren

tonylunatic 05-03-2013 06:22 AM

Hi guys I have had several people contact me for LRP "LUNATIC Racing Products"
and just want to give everyone the same information.

I am the owner of LRP, Tony Luna. I am an avid racer and have been in the sport /hobby for over 15+yrs. With the help of manufacturer RCShox "MantisWorx" we have and are designing and making new hop up parts for the Serpent Cobra GT as well as other tools and accessories. List below of current and up coming products.

LRP Serpent GT Braces v1 original arms "Available now"
LRP Serpent GT Braces v2 wide track" Coming soon"
LRP Universal Setup Board "Available now"
LRP Rubber Tire Juice "In Production"
LRP Pit Caddy "Coming soon"
LRP Tire/Setup System Carry Case "Coming Soon"
MUCH MORE IN THE WORKS!!

The LRP Line of products will be sold and distributed to select dealers by WWW.GT8SPORTS.COM

Gt8sports.com is being built to be a Premium Racers online store for GT8 racers.

This site is up but currently being revised. Should be up and running in a few weeks.
Until them you can contact me here via pm or post for any information.

I also want to THANK my fellow racers and customers for the reviews on current products. Your feedback will help us to continue to improve and grow our products.

Thanks
Tony LunaTic :)