R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Serpent Cobra GT (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/594770-serpent-cobra-gt.html)

MikaR 01-21-2013 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by scary_jerry (Post 11644464)
Can you 'quantify' the caster angle compared to the Kyosho GT, TeamC/OFNA, and the Serpent Cobra GT? I'm seeing the TeamC 'turn under' both the Kyosho and the Cobra. I guess I need to know what I will gain going to Serpent Cobra GT from Kyosho GT. Yes, I have been in the presence of Paolo at Timezone and probably shouldn't need to ask after that kind of performance but I can't get the info from Kyosho on what the effective caster angle is. The Cobra GT is an amazing machine and most likely my next car since it is a 'high level competition' race car.

The 'preliminary' GT rules for ROAR still choke on the 'kickup' I'll probably avoid the TeamC/OFNA even though the OFNA had been 'grandfathered in' at a race and the TeamC not allowed. That's too confusing.

Kyosho caster is 17 deg. More than you would like I guess.

scary_jerry 01-21-2013 08:27 AM

caster

Originally Posted by MikaR (Post 11705969)
Kyosho caster is 17 deg. More than you would like I guess.

Thanks Mika, that much caster is killing any chance for Kyosho to do battle with the Serpent GT and the TeamC. The responses out of the Homestead GT race make it sound like the Serpent drivers have a little more 'push' than desired and the TeamC has the ability to get in 'under' them.

Desoto Racing commented on being able to back-down the caster angle to incredible numbers. I just don't know where most of them run on their setups. It's just quite disheartening to have both the Serpent and TeamC/OFNA dive under you with the 'ease' they do. :cool:

Mika, check PM.

C@T 01-21-2013 09:20 AM

As most of the front suspensions are of c-hub style the part to change the caster is use a different front hub carrier.

Team C does offer 12° (kit) and 14° in plastic, and there is also a 10° aluminum part available.

This one would be my choice.

scary_jerry 01-21-2013 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by C@T (Post 11707030)
As most of the front suspensions are of c-hub style the part to change the caster is use a different front hub carrier.

Team C does offer 12° (kit) and 14° in plastic, and there is also a 10° aluminum part available.

This one would be my choice.

:D While snowed in, may have to go to my 'Team Mongoose' cave and get out the dremmmmmmmelizer.

Thanks

tha Beast 01-21-2013 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by pranash07 (Post 11702885)
How hard can it be to build the GT this car from the cobra buggy?

not worth the money it will cost ( I tried it ) your better off buying the kit;)

jneg 01-21-2013 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by tha Beast (Post 11707766)
not worth the money it will cost ( I tried it ) your better off buying the kit;)

Correct! the cost of the chassis alone makes it hard to be worth it. The motor mounts in a different position from GT to Buggy. The buggy has more front weight bias than the GT. The shocks are expensive as well, they are unique for the GT. The buggy tank is 125 and GT is 150cc.

daninter 01-24-2013 05:03 AM

Hello Guys, someone use the new anti-roll bar system in the cobra gt ??

This one

Any comments about this system??

Daniel Mazzara
Serpent Cobra GT
Venezuela
Maxy tell me joaquin de soto sr used in cobra gt, any comments ???

See you

Daniel Mazzara
Serpent Cobra GT
Venezuela

desotoracing 01-24-2013 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by daninter (Post 11721440)
Maxy tell me joaquin de soto sr used in cobra gt, any comments ???

See you

Daniel Mazzara
Serpent Cobra GT
Venezuela

Yes, we use it on the GT. It makes it faster and easier to change the anti-roll bar thickness. We like it.

http://www.serpent.com/files/img/1234574617m.jpg

daninter 01-24-2013 10:05 AM

Thanks desotoracing, you know the most common setup for the wire in that system that you use in cobra gt cars??

Daniel Mazzara
Serpent Cobra GT
Venezuela

desotoracing 01-24-2013 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by daninter (Post 11722649)
Thanks desotoracing, you know the most common setup for the wire in that system that you use in cobra gt cars??

Daniel Mazzara
Serpent Cobra GT
Venezuela

We use the 2.3 or 2.5 in the front and 2.5 or 2.7 in the back.

Tandum4056 01-31-2013 02:44 PM

I picked one of these up and I am excited to start the build. Are there any areas of concern that i need to address or upgrades that I should buy?

Also, what is a good starting set-up for this car. :tire:

team mugen 02-18-2013 03:53 PM

Can anyone suggest a good diff and shock setup for the Nitro serpent GT. I tried the box setup but its so much understeer. Pushing on and off power. The track we are playing is a fast asphalt track with couple of Uturns and long straight. Thanks guys . I tried different sweep tires depends on the temp of the track but i am still not satisfied with the way the car turns.

Team STPN 02-18-2013 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by team mugen (Post 11831616)
Can anyone suggest a good diff and shock setup for the Nitro serpent GT. I tried the box setup but its so much understeer. Pushing on and off power. The track we are playing is a fast asphalt track with couple of Uturns and long straight. Thanks guys . I tried different sweep tires depends on the temp of the track but i am still not satisfied with the way the car turns.

Try Alpha tires they are the way to go and use Paolo's set up on the serpent web site, great starting point. You can get the tires at Serpent America Desoto racing. If you don't want to buy the Alpha tires try saucing them up to soften them up.

team mugen 02-19-2013 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Team STPN (Post 11832631)
Try Alpha tires they are the way to go and use Paolo's set up on the serpent web site, great starting point. You can get the tires at Serpent America Desoto racing. If you don't want to buy the Alpha tires try saucing them up to soften them up.

Thanks for the info. Only sweep tires are available here n i have tried paolos set up on our track but its so much understeer pushing on n off power. Have you guys tried other diff n shock set ups that give you more steering? Thanks.

Tabushi 02-19-2013 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by team mugen (Post 11833781)
Thanks for the info. Only sweep tires are available here n i have tried paolos set up on our track but its so much understeer pushing on n off power. Have you guys tried other diff n shock set ups that give you more steering? Thanks.

Where are you from ?, i work with Alpha RC Factory, maybe we can look for a dealer/distributor on your location so you can get better tires (OURS !) ...

regards,

desotoracing 02-19-2013 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by team mugen (Post 11833781)

Try White springs in the front and Black springs in the back. Also, try the 0 deg alum steering blocks with the -1 or -2 hexes.

team mugen 02-19-2013 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tabushi (Post 11834036)
Where are you from ?, i work with Alpha RC Factory, maybe we can look for a dealer/distributor on your location so you can get better tires (OURS !) ...

regards,

Originally Posted by desotoracing (Post 11834144)
Try White springs in the front and Black springs in the back. Also, try the 0 deg alum steering blocks with the -1 or -2 hexes.

Tabushi- we are here in the philippines and 1/8 nitro GT is just starting with about 20 drivers . I just finished our onroad track with about 80meters straight x 30 meters. Will post a picture of the track. .

Desotoracing- will try that spring set up but what diff oil should i use in front n rear. . Thanks for the help.

desotoracing 02-19-2013 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by team mugen (Post 11834206)
Tabushi- we are here in the philippines and 1/8 nitro GT is just starting with about 20 drivers . I just finished our onroad track with about 80meters straight x 30 meters. Will post a picture of the track. .

Desotoracing- will try that spring set up but what diff oil should i use in front n rear. . Thanks for the help.

We normally run 200k in the front and around 60k in the rear

D.a.v.e 02-25-2013 07:09 AM

Just started building my kit and was wondering what extra parts folks keep in their boxes for these? Its been a while since I've raced on-road so I'm sure I'll be bouncing around a bit on the track.

jneg 02-25-2013 09:18 AM

i haven't broken anything on my car. The only thing I broke and had to change was the Steering servo horn to aluminum.

D.a.v.e 02-25-2013 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by desotoracing (Post 11834311)
We normally run 200k in the front and around 60k in the rear

Does changing out the wheel hex's improve steering as well? Looks like the online setup are going with -1 in the front and +2 in the rear? Just wondering what this change makes?

C@T 02-25-2013 02:49 PM

Less trackwith on the front does increase steering.

More on the rear will work same way, increasing the difference in trackwith between front and rear

Erchur 02-27-2013 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by team mugen (Post 11831616)

Check the tension on your servo saver spring. I am using the optional "hard" servo saver spring, which I set up pretty tight. My undeersteer issues went away after this change.

I use 200k in the front diff and 40k in the rear. As to the shocks I run 1000 cps fluid in front and rear and use the machined 8 hole 1.1mm shock disks front/rear. Springs are track/surface dependent.

Hope this helps!

team mugen 02-28-2013 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Erchur (Post 11870920)
Check the tension on your servo saver spring. I am using the optional "hard" servo saver spring, which I set up pretty tight. My undeersteer issues went away after this change.

I use 200k in the front diff and 40k in the rear. As to the shocks I run 1000 cps fluid in front and rear and use the machined 8 hole 1.1mm shock disks front/rear. Springs are track/surface dependent.

Hope this helps!

Hey bro, thanks for the info. I changed my servo spring now with the hard one. Will test the car tomorrow. Thanks

Arboleda 03-04-2013 10:07 AM

Does anyone know if there are any anticipated changes for 2013? A new kit, upgraded parts, etc?

tonylunatic 03-04-2013 10:24 AM

In speaking with Serpent America/Desoto Racing at the Grand Prix Race in Homestead, FL in January.
I was told that a major effort was made to just introduce the Cobra GT to the market. Furthermore that Serpent has no plans or upgrades in the works.

But I would like to announce that Lunatic Racing Products "LRP" & RCshox have been making and testing several upgrade products to improve the Serpent Cobra GT. These new upgrades will be announced very soon and be available for purchase at Gt8sports.com and Rcshox.com.

**Rcshox.com actually added The New 2Stage shock pistons for the Cobra GT a few days ago and are available Now!!

**Gt8sports.com is still in the process of adding all their inventory and products to site, and will be 100% very soon.

CDS70 03-04-2013 11:56 AM

Would someone mind explaining what 2 stage pistons are please?

C@T 03-04-2013 12:23 PM

Have a look at www.rcshox.com

It is a piston made out of two parts, a fixed one attached to the rod as usual and a second one combined with it. The second one, having a slightly smaller diameter can slightly move up and down, driven by the movement of the piston.

Having different size of holes in both does lead to a change in the damping based on the direction the piston is moving.

Compressing the shock will show more damping than expanding it. Just like real car shocks should do.

D.a.v.e 03-04-2013 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by tonylunatic (Post 11889316)
In speaking with Serpent America/Desoto Racing at the Grand Prix Race in Homestead, FL in January.
I was told that a major effort was made to just introduce the Cobra GT to the market. Furthermore that Serpent has no plans or upgrades in the works.

But I would like to announce that Lunatic Racing Products "LRP" & RCshox have been making and testing several upgrade products to improve the Serpent Cobra GT. These new upgrades will be announced very soon and be available for purchase at Gt8sports.com and Rcshox.com.

**Rcshox.com actually added The New 2Stage shock pistons for the Cobra GT a few days ago and are available Now!!

**Gt8sports.com is still in the process of adding all their inventory and products to site, and will be 100% very soon.

I have not looked yet but was wondering if any of the new 2.0 parts would benefit this kit?

MantisWorx 03-04-2013 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by CDS70 (Post 11889654)
Would someone mind explaining what 2 stage pistons are please?

C@T almost got it perfect but the OD of the pistons is the same on both, damping and rebound is controlled by hole sizes and oil viscosity.

2 stage pistons allow you to control compression or rebound via hole sizes.in normal configuration which gives faster rebound, the upper piston "floats". On compression the pistons come together and block off the vent hole giving you a stiffer compression rate. When the shock goes in to rebound the pistons seperate exposing the larger holes in the lower piston and the excess flow goes through the vent holes. In application this increase straight line traction as it is quick to shift weight to the rear or side to side. The car will transition much quicker because the inside of the car will rise quicker than the outside will fall which puts more pressure on the outside tire thus giving you faster corner speed. Testing has gone very well, over the next few weeks more of the "top dogs " will have them for testing! Watch the orange car closely especially on the slow motion section ( may have to watch it a few times!) but you can see the difference between the two cars! Tony now runs them on his Serpent Cobra as well.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Mantisworx?feature=mhee

tonylunatic 03-04-2013 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by D.a.v.e (Post 11889781)
I have not looked yet but was wondering if any of the new 2.0 parts would benefit this kit?

Do you mean the buggy v2.0 parts? Although most parts to come straight from the buggy some where designed just for the GT.

Serpent buggy upgrades I use and recommend:
V2 inner diff gears
Buggy 0* aluminum steering arms
10* buggy caster blocks
Hard steering spring
Option 2 steering rack

I have a couple other upgrades, not available because they didn't make it to final production. But they are not needed makes car super under weight for racing minimum of 3500 grams.

CDS70 03-04-2013 01:34 PM

Thanks gents, makes sense. will be interesting to see how successful it is.

mcsquish 03-05-2013 11:04 AM

Since I may be switching to a Cobra, what is the body of choice? Is it the R3 that Desoto Racing has, or is there something better out there? Thanks!

Thunderbunny 03-05-2013 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by mcsquish (Post 11894070)
Since I may be switching to a Cobra, what is the body of choice? Is it the R3 that Desoto Racing has, or is there something better out there? Thanks!

Alph R3
http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/p...cat=115&page=1

1966ss 03-06-2013 04:35 PM

Does this car come with the 150cc tank yet?

bassman2 03-06-2013 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1966ss (Post 11899778)
Does this car come with the 150cc tank yet?

Yes.

1966ss 03-09-2013 04:08 AM

Ok so I sold my dm1 and a serpent is in the mail! What upgrades are a must have? The 12* c hubs? I see some local guys by me running the 0* steering knuckles! Thsnks

Thunderbunny 03-09-2013 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by 1966ss (Post 11909542)
Ok so I sold my dm1 and a serpent is in the mail! What upgrades are a must have? The 12* c hubs? I see some local guys by me running the 0* steering knuckles! Thsnks

Try the 10* hubs, 0* knuckles, a set of springs, and sway bars to start. Also, albiet not an upgrage, you should consider getting a driveshaft replacement tool . These cars will flatten drive pins over the course of a few races. Replacing the pins instead of the entire shaft will save you lots of wear and tear. Not to mention lots of $$$$

agtuning 03-09-2013 06:15 PM

Drive shaft pins

Originally Posted by Thunderbunny (Post 11909745)
Try the 10* hubs, 0* knuckles, a set of springs, and sway bars to start. Also, albiet not an upgrage, you should consider getting a driveshaft replacement tool . These cars will flatten drive pins over the course of a few races. Replacing the pins instead of the entire shaft will save you lots of wear and tear. Not to mention lots of $$$$

Hi, which drive shaft pins you regularly use or recommend for the GT?

1966ss 03-18-2013 03:54 PM

What you guys running for brake pads and disks. I'm assuming the serpent carbon upgrade pads but what disks? The fiberglass ones still? Or metal