Capricorn LAB-C01

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capricorn LAB-C01

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 03:32 AM
Tech Regular

actually i was thinking for the whole race that engine reached max. power, i was running 18.0 laps. at the final i was leading with 3 laps, 15mins to go. then a shock screw loosened which put me to 4th place, i rejoined to the track leaning the engine a little. After that it was the most exciting 10mins of racing. about 5 minutes to go I was 2nd, when leader had an unlucky crash and retired. so i won the race.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:53 AM
Tech Initiate

"Had to add 20 grams to the left side to balance the car, I added 15 next to the battery and 5 behind the engine mount against the LR bulkhead".

DS Motorsport how did you balance thr car?

The chassis have two holes in the chassis and you use that two pins that Hudy have? To see if it is symmetrical left and right?

I know Kyosho and NT1 have that holes in the chassis...

And last the recever box from nt1 can be adapt in Capr.?

Ps.Sorry for my bad English
Old 09-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roadrash730
so running my car two weekends ago and everything has been, fine car was runnin good and all the sudden it started to sound lean and like i stripped a gear, so i pulled in shut it down and when i looked one of the flyweights was brokenin half and hanging out from behind the allu. plate that the clutch bell sits on and the shoe was melted. ??????? i havent changed the clutch setup since ive been running the car it has never hit real hard like there was too much gap or anything it like the shoe wore down so much that the flyweight was able to slip out and jam everything up.
any ideas?????

the clutch was set as per the manual running 0mm on the spring tension
It was probably caused by the broken flyweight. This caused the clutch to jam and burned out the clutch shoe. The shoe couldn't disengage so it burned out.
The broken flyweight is a thing that can happen, it happens a lot with the Xray clutch. Mostly because of the hard springs we run these days with the high powered engines. If you want this not to happen you should make all the clutch parts bigger, but this is something which isn't desirable because of the weight.

Originally Posted by el salvador
Hey DS Motorsport,
I'd revise the Top Deck Brace like Xray does so you don't schread the Front Belt!

And Musti72, I too have the LAB-E01 (non WC version) w/2662 pipe set, this Engine puts "The Stupid" into "Stupid Fast"!
Also, my Car weighs 1690 grams w/Brass Batt plate, NiMh reciever pack and Body installed!
I will keep an eye on the front belt, at the moment it isn't touching, but thanks for the heads up.

Yes, the 2662 pipe makes it even better, gives the engine even more top end.

Originally Posted by gfilos
did the kit came with the wire type front anti-roll bar?
No it doesn't, I already had the wire type Fr. ARB because I made it fit to my NT1.
The kit includes a improved version of the blade type ARB, the downstops are separated from the ARB.

Originally Posted by musti72
actually i was thinking for the whole race that engine reached max. power, i was running 18.0 laps. at the final i was leading with 3 laps, 15mins to go. then a shock screw loosened which put me to 4th place, i rejoined to the track leaning the engine a little. After that it was the most exciting 10mins of racing. about 5 minutes to go I was 2nd, when leader had an unlucky crash and retired. so i won the race.
Cool, congratulations.

Originally Posted by T.Senna
"Had to add 20 grams to the left side to balance the car, I added 15 next to the battery and 5 behind the engine mount against the LR bulkhead".

DS Motorsport how did you balance thr car?

The chassis have two holes in the chassis and you use that two pins that Hudy have? To see if it is symmetrical left and right?

I know Kyosho and NT1 have that holes in the chassis...

And last the recever box from nt1 can be adapt in Capr.?

Ps.Sorry for my bad English
The chassis features two holes for balancing, but I prefer another way of balancing.

I only use 1 Hudy pin on one side of the car and a set of scales on the other side.
Make sure the scales are leveled and the car is pretty much leveled as well, also use a set of setup wheels or Hudy stands.
This way you are able to balance the car within one gram and move the weights so the front and rear axle are both balanced (start with the front axle and then the rear axle)
For best results you should replace the shocks with a set of turnbuckles.

The NT1 box doesn't fit, you can make it fit by turning it around and drill a new hole in the radioplate.
However I really like the bracket provided with the car, it is mounted in rubber bushings and has some space between the servo and the bracket so it's able to give a little when the car takes a hit there.
I've been running the receiver like this for two years already and never broke one, in case of rain I wrap it with kitchen paper put the receiver in a Tamiya balloon and stuff the balloon with putty and seal it with two Ty-raps. Never had a failure.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

Today the weather was pretty good so I was able to give the car it's first run.

And I have been impressed to say the least.

The difference compared to the NT1 is the directness of the car and how precise you can aim the car towards the apex of the corner.
It's so good in direction changes.
Also I was pretty surprised how well the car went with the stock setup.
Normally I run 80K/40K diffs in the NT1, Capricorn advices 120K/70K and I thought this would create terrible oversteer and an overall lack of grip, but it didn't.
The amount of grip the car had was very good.

In total I did 84 laps, 25 of them on a fresh set of tires. The last lap of the day was my fastest lap, this was 0.1 second slower compared to the fastest time I set with the NT1 at the racing weekend two weeks ago.
Only now I was the only one driving instead of 30+ cars running an entire day.
Also it tells a lot that my fastest lap was the last lap, if I would have had the time to do more laps I think I could have improved my NT1 laptimes.
Another thing which didn't help is that I didn't have the Lab bodies finished, I used an old NT1 body.

The only things which were different from the stock setup were the shocks and ARB's.
For the shocks I used 550cst in the front and 450cst in the rear with 3 holed pistons all around. The car felt really good and was very easy across the bumps so I think this is a good shock setting.
For the front ARB I used the 2.2mm wire type.
For the rear ARB I also used a 2.2 mm wire, started out with a 2.0 but the car had a hint of initial understeer in the fast corners. I think this is down to the body but the ARB was a quick fix.

Maybe I run the car tomorrow as well if the weather cooperates.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs down email

Last edited by JHinds; 10-08-2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: .
Old 09-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JHinds
Just a quick question does anyone at Capricornrc.com speak English? And do the ever reply to emails? I have sent 4-5 and never a reply. I have even tried translated emails and nothing. Anyone else ever have that problem?
Hmm, strange I always get a reply the same day or otherwise the next day.
Their english is ok, never had a problem understanding one of their reply's.

Where do you send the email to, [email protected] ?

Maybe direct you mail to Patrizio.

If you still haven't gotten an answer by next week send me a Pm with your email address and I will contact them for you.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the help
Old 09-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote from DS

It was probably caused by the broken flyweight. This caused the clutch to jam and burned out the clutch shoe. The shoe couldn't disengage so it burned out.
The broken flyweight is a thing that can happen, it happens a lot with the Xray clutch. Mostly because of the hard springs we run these days with the high powered engines. If you want this not to happen you should make all the clutch parts bigger, but this is something which isn't desirable because of the weight.
End Quote.

well that makes sence ok so the next question is does anyone on here have some clutch parts for sale Trinity told me it would take 3 to 4 weeks to get it from them

1 Clutch shoe
1 set of flyweights or just a single weight as only one broke
1 clutch shoe plate

Ive got paypal ready
Old 09-23-2010, 01:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roadrash730
Quote from DS

End Quote.

well that makes sence ok so the next question is does anyone on here have some clutch parts for sale Trinity told me it would take 3 to 4 weeks to get it from them

1 Clutch shoe
1 set of flyweights or just a single weight as only one broke
1 clutch shoe plate

Ive got paypal ready
Hi.
Please leave us in PVT your personal data and we'll be happy to ship them to you for free. If the USA distributor is not able to support you for such simple parts... we'll do it staight from italy.

Regards
CapricornRC
Attached Files
Old 09-23-2010, 03:32 AM
Tech Regular

wow, that is some great support
Old 09-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Last edited by JHinds; 09-24-2010 at 04:23 AM. Reason: error
Old 09-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JHinds
Yeah to bad I can't get any. Love the car but if I can't get a reply form any emails then it Looks like I might just need to go back to my nt1. One thing I learned from capricorn is stay away from walls even a brush will rip the arm off and as well all know the cap cars are not cheap to fix and not easy to get parts for. As of right now I think I have some where around 700 in parts just to cover the basic parts that break and wear out
I don undestand why we don receive your mails
But.... If you want send me a pm here
Old 09-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ihave allways had good experience's when dealing with Capricorn and never had any prob getting parts up until the clutch problem and i even got a call today outta nowhere from Billy at team epic that he had found the parts i needed and sold and shipped them with a small discount just for having to wait abit to get them. So im still very happy with the car and the support and cant wait for it to stop raining so i can run it again

THANKS Capricorn for the fast reply and thanks to Billy at Epic for finding what i needed!

Dustin
Old 09-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

DS any news. How's the car or is the weather too bad to test?
Old 09-29-2010, 03:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan
DS any news. How's the car or is the weather too bad to test?
Last weekend we had our last round of the nationals. Last year I was very slow on this track and didn't even make the final.

This year it was a whole different experience, I started saturday practice with the standard setup.
During the day I made a lot of adjustments and the car was getting faster and faster. All the adjustments I made were basically to dial out the understeer which was very present.
At the end of saturday I was already a half a second quicker compared to last year.
Before sunday I made some more adjustments and the car was pretty much dialed during the qualifiers. Still a little bit understeering but very predictable and consistent.

The car is so consistent, predictable and direct that I haven't been off the track once since I have the car.
Compared to the Lab, an NT1 feels very vague on turn in.

During the qualifiers I've had my best result thus far, first time I qualified directly for the main final. And this on a track where I wasn't able to even make the final last year.

During the final I had some issues with either the engine or the driveline, haven't had time to take a look at it yet.

So all in all I have been very happy with the car, hope to run it at my hometrack this weekend to have some more comparison with my NT1 laptimes.

Will post my setup asap, trying to find a way to edit the setup sheet.

Btw, this is the new paintjob I will be running with the Lab:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.