Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 01:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by crashed_1
Me too. It's nice to drive when there's not much traffic around. Things will turn haywire when you need to muscle your way thru traffic and just how to achieve that without using breaks on the corner still boggles me.

If they are running diffs, then you'd get them on the exit of the corner, as they can't accelerate as quickly as you with you one-way.
If they are running one-way, too, then you need (like me) more practice before you can also break as well as they can.

If you run a diff, you'll probably get them under breaking, but then they'd get you back at the exit.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by markp27
If they are running diffs, then you'd get them on the exit of the corner, as they can't accelerate as quickly as you with you one-way.
If they are running one-way, too, then you need (like me) more practice before you can also break as well as they can.

If you run a diff, you'll probably get them under breaking, but then they'd get you back at the exit.
Been there...one ways might have a better corner exit but your lines will be already taken by the car in front(diff). I guess we can't win em all...especially at tracks like ours where there are no sweepers but just hairpins and corners.

But I believe with enough practice a one way will benefit...
Old 02-09-2004, 01:48 AM
Tech Elite

Been there...one ways might have a better corner exit but your lines will be already taken by the car in front(diff). I guess we can't win em all...especially at tracks like ours where there are no sweepers but just hairpins and corners.

The thing with the one-way is that driver skill must be high. For us mere mortals, there will be some circuits where we are faster with a diff. I'm going to try and persist with the one-way though. I'm enjoying driving it with my EVO III and will also use one when I get my 710.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The thing with the one-way is that driver skill must be high. For us mere mortals, there will be some circuits where we are faster with a diff. I'm going to try and persist with the one-way though. I'm enjoying driving it with my EVO III and will also use one when I get my 710.
If that EVO III of yours is the same as mine, Tamiya TB EVO III...then we have the same cars here...EP & GP (710). Both one ways .....
Old 02-09-2004, 02:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by jfc_tech
If that EVO III of yours is the same as mine, Tamiya TB EVO III...then we have the same cars here...EP & GP (710). Both one ways .....
My EVO III is the Surikarn and I've got about 2 weeks to wait for my 710

Obviously you are a man of very good taste
Old 02-09-2004, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by redsand
Pyramid: Would the 2.5 ball strong enough to unscrew the engine mounts ?
I haven't break one because of that.. I did break one because of removing the engine mount screw from chassis
Old 02-09-2004, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Droop!

Originally posted by S710_Nut
Guys,

I have a question regarding droop? I run on concrete with rubber tyres on a bumpy surface.... Stock setup suggests a 7mm gap between front and rear droop (0mm frnt and 7mm rear) is it a good rule of thumb to stick too? Or what would be a good gap? I have been lacking mid corner steering, car has responded better by increasing the rear droop and reducing the rear droop, i still feel it could be better though.

SN
Be aware, 7mm gap does not mean that if the front has no movement at all, the rear will be able to move 7mm before the all rear tires lifted.

Rule of thum, I also do not know exactly why as soo many explenation about droops are lying around the net. For less tracktion/technical/small track, use less drop. Big free flowing track, use more droop.

Here are two different perception about droops that I also need a logical explenation as to know which one is correct (at least, more logical to accept by me). Examples below are for on throttle condition for front droop.

1. More droop (more movement of arms) will make more contact path for tires to the ground, thus more grip when cornering with speed.

2. The more scary one, less droop (less arm movement), giving more grip (equals to more steering) because the weight being transfer to front (on throttle) when cornering. Meaning, because of less arm movement, when cornering, the front part is force to go down; hence weight being transfered from rear to front. This is coming from that Bruno method.

What do you think?
Old 02-09-2004, 04:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
Believe it or not, pipes used was nothing more than TP06 / Novarossi 52607 inline pipes. Modified engines used can be bought off the shelf. But that's besides the point. Thailand drivers were good. Equally good were drivers from HK as well. How do you explain them doing better also on a foreign track?
I heard that they are at the next level compared to us. I never said that they were not good drivers. This feedback came from our top drivers so they know what they're saying. The point is, all else being equal (and in Bangkok it wasn't but who cares because it was a closed race mostly for fun) the car is very competitive even if its current shock tower design is not optimal!

Not to brag or anything, my car was among the middle pack or if not faster than most on the straights. It's just that the other cars had more corner speed and of course the huge driving skill advantage !
D, you've just demonstrated exactly what I think is the issue with us. We will spend anything thinking the highest speed on the straights is one of the answers to our "winning". The other one is of course "tremendous punch".

As for me, I did not regret going. It was fun and surely an eye opener. In my opinion, it will only be a mistake when what you intend to achieve is not materialised.
True, I'm sure if I went I would not have "regreted" it. Its not in my nature to regret anything much. I agree with you though that I'd be going intending to be in A, not winning but in just in A. I just love driving in the company of good drivers but if I had ended up in D I still wouldn't regret going. I'd just be disappointed to not have done better because I did not get the opportunity to do enough to prepare but then again that's just me.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:48 AM
Tech Elite

I wished I was coz it was a good day to see the snake under the hands of good pilots like yourself, uncle yap and riad. What i really wanted to see was one of you doing blistering times with a front one way...but i guess all of you opted for solids instead.
I was planning to use the one-way if there was a 3rd heat or if I had completed the 1st heat. The problem was I only managed 3 laps in the first heat when the same car in front (I started on 5th position in the heats) kept blocking me until we finally collided when I was overtaking him and the engine stopped. In any case I would have used the 1-way for the final but as I mentioned earlier, it rained.

Now with the front ball diffs i guess the one way will be chucked away.
I wouldn't recommend that. A 1-way will beat a faster car on diff or solid anytime on the right track layout. In fact, due to the way we run races here, the 710 1-way is perfect because if you happen to be placed in a not so ideal group for your heats (remember, you stay in the same group throughout regardless of how you did in your 1st heat), lock it solid. Then if you do well to end up in A or B you have the option of using it in a 1-way mode if the track is ideal for it.

The front diff will no doubt be used more because its easily adjustable and our races tend to be on small car-park tracks and very technical but I won't throw away my 1-way.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Sow&Steady

True, I'm sure if I went I would not have "regreted" it. Its not in my nature to regret anything much. I agree with you though that I'd be going intending to be in A, not winning but in just in A. I just love driving in the company of good drivers but if I had ended up in D I still wouldn't regret going. I'd just be disappointed to not have done better because I did not get the opportunity to do enough to prepare but then again that's just me.
It would be my honour to race with both of you guys.. (upcoming GQ Cup will be perfect)
Dont forget to bring my guru, Sir KHM...
Old 02-09-2004, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Thing is with the one-way, it is so good under acceleration. The power is always given to the wheel which has most grip whereas a diff will always give the power to the wheel where least grip is.
You are right!

This year I plan to control my breaking much better in an attempt to learn how to drive the one-way better.
It can be done, my problem is how to manage it over a longish main (20 mins or more) where there is uneven wear on the foams!
Old 02-09-2004, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by GoldFinger
It would be my honour to race with both of you guys.. (upcoming GQ Cup will be perfect)
Dont forget to bring my guru, Sir KHM...
Goldfinger ... likewise. It would be an honour but I won't be able to make it. My current job requires me to do a lot of travelling and its really messing up my racing schedules!

As for Sir KHM, just change your guru ... this is the second time he didn't do so well. I wasn't sure what problems he had but he certainly was the first one at track yesterday and he had a brand new MTX as well as a brand new Rody V12 on it. Maybe he was unlucky and we know that happens from time to time to all racers.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:28 AM
Tech Prophet

You must not just practise ! You must believe as well !
Old 02-09-2004, 05:28 AM
Tech Prophet

Very true. That is why I feel that a solid can be pretty much have the best of both worlds so to speak.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:48 AM
Tech Prophet

D, you've just demonstrated exactly what I think is the issue with us. We will spend anything thinking the highest speed on the straights is one of the answers to our "winning". The other one is of course "tremendous punch".
Oh, why does that sound too familiar?

If you can't beat them, join them !

I'd just be disappointed to not have done better because I did not get the opportunity to do enough to prepare but then again that's just me.
Of course I felt that too. Winning always feels good. Nobody would feel bad because they did better than expected. There's always that feeling that what if you could have done better... You would be more pleased and contented ! The glass is always half empty. But hey, you win some you loose some. In this instance, I just had to accept the fact that I wasn't as good as the rest of the pack ! I just had to sit back, enjoy racing in the company of others and learn as much as you can !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.