Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 11:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Mark,

How did you get your avatar pic so big? What settings do you use?
Old 02-04-2004, 11:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by InitialD
As far as I know, only Serpent has the optional solid axle in the front.
That's probably why
Old 02-04-2004, 11:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by cyba888
Was at the race a week ago and most drivers that I saw did not or barely use brakes. Maybe it has to do with the track that we run on.
For me definately - I have two long flat-out sections which end in two very tight hairpins - breaking is required here.
At the indoor track where I drive my EVO III when we drive clockwise, then I never have to break - simply let the car roll through the corners and left off the throttle at the correct point. But when running anti-clockwise, then I have two places where I have to break.

For both configurations (for the EVO III) I use a one-way although most of the other guys prefer the ball-diff/solid axel for the configuration where breaking is required.
For me I think I'm still quicker using the one-way whatever the configuration of this track.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:41 PM
Tech Elite

Mark,

How did you get your avatar pic so big? What settings do you use?
The max size o the avatar is 80x80 pixels. I simply cropped the image I wanted to these dimensions and uploaded it
Old 02-04-2004, 11:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well, for me I thought having lots of brakes was better but on the fast track, braking just means that you go slower. With the one way, you can really push in the fast sweepers. The car carries more speed.

Yes it's true like what Mark mentioned that you get more consistant lap times if you're on full time 4WD brakes but there is where we need to strive for perfection !

Anyway, welcome to the fold and enjoy building your 710 kit !
Thanks ID and everyone that responded, it good to have different points of veiw. Now I hope my kit arrive on time, i can't take the waiting
Old 02-04-2004, 11:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Picard
Thanks ID and everyone that responded, it good to have different points of veiw. Now I hope my kit arrive on time, i can't take the waiting
I haven't even ordered mine yet I have to wait even longer
Old 02-04-2004, 11:43 PM
Tech Prophet

Was at the race a week ago and most drivers that I saw did not or barely use brakes. Maybe it has to do with the track that we run on.
Yes, the track you run on is very nice and flowing !
Old 02-04-2004, 11:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by markp27
I panick sometimes though - out it blurts and suddenly I'm in big trouble!
Old 02-04-2004, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Picard
Hi MarK
I have been driving with a oneway at my track for 4 months now and dont have any problems, i feel very confident with a oneway but that was on an R12, so I am not to sure how the serpent will react with one. I have never tried a solid front and was curious about it and didn't know what the difference was between the 2. No-one from my knowlage had used a front solid at my track before so I will be the first
One other thing, unlike the 705, the 710 loses its steering only marginally when I locked the 1-way. Again, depending on the track layout and available grip, you may find that you need to refer to the "bible" and get more steering afterwards.

For our upcoming race here it appears that I need to remove my front roll-bar as well as go to 4 holes up front just to get comfortable. May need to do more to be fast ... we'll see.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by markp27
It is great fun to drive a solid, as the breaking is unbelievable! You can therefore drive very aggresively, which most probaby won't translate to a good lap time. One the other hand the one-way promotes smooth consistant driving, which is rewarded by quicker lap times.

The 710 won't give you any problems with a one-way if you have already gotten use to one with another car.

Cheers, Mark.
Mark, agree with you.

The problem is sometimes I end up in a heat with some "L-plate" drivers and unpredictable manouvers often call for unexpected hard braking. That means rear-end swapping for me ...
Old 02-04-2004, 11:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yes, the track you run on is very nice and flowing !
Yep, no tight turns, very wide and nice But the rain here is not helping, its been raining for almost 3 weeks straight except that it only stopped for 2 days During those 2 days it stopped 1 of the days I was busy and the other day was race day Will rain again this weekend as well
Old 02-04-2004, 11:57 PM
Tech Elite

As far as I know, only Serpent has the optional solid axle in the front.
Actually, Kawahara makes an Al. insert to change the MTX diff into a solid. You could even use it in the Evo with a small mod.

Shhhhh! Don't tell them knukerheads!
Old 02-04-2004, 11:58 PM
Tech Elite

I notice that on my local track which requires a fair bit of braking, I feel that I'm faster on the one way.

Anyway, what does using softer front tires do? More steering? Wouldn't that make the rear unstable?
I think Goldfinger is one of Kok Heng's "students".
Old 02-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Actually, Kawahara makes an Al. insert to change the MTX diff into a solid. You could even use it in the Evo with a small mod.

Shhhhh! Don't tell them knukerheads!
The Yokomo also came with a solid front in their RTR kits.

We used to put silly putty in out front diffs on the HPI Racer and early V-one R's.

But once you learn to drive a oneway its hard to go back to anything else, unless the track realy needs a front diff/solid.

Nice flowing lines will always be quicker than screaming up to the corners and grabbing a handfull of brake.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:10 AM
Tech Prophet

One other thing, unlike the 705, the 710 loses its steering only marginally when I locked the 1-way. Again, depending on the track layout and available grip, you may find that you need to refer to the "bible" and get more steering afterwards.
I agree with you. I hardly noticed the lack of turn in. Just that as time went on, I noticed that off power was a little lacking. Perhaps lacking droop when I continued to use my 55 mm tires ! Talk about poor !

For our upcoming race here it appears that I need to remove my front roll-bar as well as go to 4 holes up front just to get comfortable. May need to do more to be fast ... we'll see.
Ummm, before this, I only knew one or two guys that was using 4 holes in front with NOT ARB in the front !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.