Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by _cyclops_
Don't you guys have a problem with the rear being tricky when removing the front sway bar? Can this unstability be solved by using thinker shock oil or less holes?
When that happens, I try to tighten the front diff more... That's what I'll do. Fast, quick and easy. Try and see what happens until you get the right balance.

I actually try to run as tight a front diff as I can to get the car to be very stable throttling out of the corners.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:42 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by jag
The track is generally flat/smooth but there are a few spots where there are small bumps. I thought that by increasing the droop, I could keep the tires on the track. Wrong?
Are the bumps avoidable? Sometimes I think setting the car for just that few bumps is not worth after all. Better to take different driving lines to avoid it (if you can) and set the car up for flat and smooth traction. That's my take.

Originally Posted by jag
I agree that you loose forward speed but I thought less rear toe in makes the car more difficult to drive?
That is correct. So driving skill and throttle control comes into play. In the end, it all boils down to driving style. Some people set the car up with so much steering and control how the car behave on the track with their hands. Some people set their car up so much so that whatever you do, it'll never upset the car ! That's fine too but you won't see any "magic" moments when the car is driven to the edge in a race.

Originally Posted by jag
Most of my rear traction problem is on-power coming out of corners. Maybe I'm just squeezing the trigger to hard .
You'll definitely have this problem when the front diff is set lighter than the rear diff. Always try and set the front diff relatively tighter than the rear. It'll make the car more stable on throttle out of the corners.

Originally Posted by jag
I'm using the stock pistons. I am not familiar with the hole diameter choices. Will thicker oil hurt the car in the bumpy areas?
Yes it would. I suggest more open holes with 35wt or 40wt Serpent shock oil. I think that's about the best for the car. Makes the car react very fast and stable in the corners. If you have the older 1.0mm shock pistons (how old is your car?), try 4 or 5 holes open in front and rear.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:19 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by InitialD
Are the bumps avoidable? Sometimes I think setting the car for just that few bumps is not worth after all. Better to take different driving lines to avoid it (if you can) and set the car up for flat and smooth traction. That's my take.

That is correct. So driving skill and throttle control comes into play. In the end, it all boils down to driving style. Some people set the car up with so much steering and control how the car behave on the track with their hands. Some people set their car up so much so that whatever you do, it'll never upset the car ! That's fine too but you won't see any "magic" moments when the car is driven to the edge in a race.

You'll definitely have this problem when the front diff is set lighter than the rear diff. Always try and set the front diff relatively tighter than the rear. It'll make the car more stable on throttle out of the corners.

Yes it would. I suggest more open holes with 35wt or 40wt Serpent shock oil. I think that's about the best for the car. Makes the car react very fast and stable in the corners. If you have the older 1.0mm shock pistons (how old is your car?), try 4 or 5 holes open in front and rear.
Unfortunately, the bumps are not avoidable. I will try setting the car up with a little less droop and see if it works. I do notice more body roll than normal.

My definition of a "magic" moment is when I actually finish a race at the Fort.

I will give the front a couple of turns. It's hard to know how tight it is. What may seem tight to me may be loose to someone else.

The car is not that old... maybe 8 months. I also have a few new shocks kits. How can you tell the difference? I have always run 3 holes. I guess it's time to play with them.

As I have stated before, I have never deviated much from the "stock" setup before because I didn't know what I was doing. Now with all this help it's very exciting.

Thanks,
jag
Old 08-15-2005, 06:30 AM
jag
Tech Master

Yes. I think it goes like this... When you take away front grip and prevent the front end from rolling by using a hard front sway bar, you ultimately give the the rear more grip. That combination gives less steering. Same explanation for the rear sway bar.

Oh yes ! I believe he raced there some time ago but that should give you an indication about his age. I believe if you search the sgrid forum, you would find a posting from Julius on how to drive around the Ft Myers track. I think he posted it here too but I can't seem to find it.
The reason I was asking about Ft. Meyers is that's one of the tracks in my state race series. I was wondering if this setup I am currently working on would be good for that track? Most of the "fast" guys are using a front one-way. That track is much faster and more open than the track I run on locally.

I don't mind if Julius is old. I have learned many things from old guys. I'm not young either. I am a firm believer that you are only as old as you feel. That's why I play with toy cars.

jag

Last edited by jag; 08-15-2005 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

I would stay with a diff, the front one-way is very hard use when braking, and the car will be more tricky, it's more for the experienced driver i gues...
Old 08-16-2005, 01:30 AM
Tech Regular

Default Clutch Mod

I know that this has been discussed multiple times, but I cant find any pictures of the flyweight mod.
Could anybody (InitalD?) PLEASE post a pic with a cut clutch shoe placed as flyweights between the pins of the flywheel?

Many many thanks in advance!!
Old 08-16-2005, 02:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

There has been mention of rear roll centers, so I had a look at mine and found it was as low as it could go, so have gone with Julius's recommendation, which seems to be the same as Initial D's if I understand correctly. The lovely Serpent setup book says to increase rear roll center to get more initial turn in. Will give it a try this weekend.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:10 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Greg M
There has been mention of rear roll centers, so I had a look at mine and found it was as low as it could go, so have gone with Julius's recommendation, which seems to be the same as Initial D's if I understand correctly. The lovely Serpent setup book says to increase rear roll center to get more initial turn in. Will give it a try this weekend.
Sorry of topic but have you got racing at new plymouth this weekend?
Old 08-16-2005, 09:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

This is where I got my flyweights mod from:
http://www.daltonshop.com/tips_tricks.htm
Hope this is what your looking for.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

In regards to shock pistons:
I've been seeing posting about a 1.2 mm hole piston. Is this a mod people have been doing, or a piston I should look into getting? If someone has a part number please post it so I can get them.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Greg M

Where is the post for this rear roll center at. Now I curious too.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Oh yes ! I believe he raced there some time ago but that should give you an indication about his age.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jag
The reason I was asking about Ft. Meyers is that's one of the tracks in my state race series. I was wondering if this setup I am currently working on would be good for that track? Most of the "fast" guys are using a front one-way. That track is much faster and more open than the track I run on locally.

I don't mind if Julius is old. I have learned many things from old guys. I'm not young either. I am a firm believer that you are only as old as you feel. That's why I play with toy cars.

jag
What this with my age all of a sudden?
I did run Ft Meyers but that was with a 2WD 235 car back in the previous century..... (Talk about Old...)

You may want to look for Michael's setup from this years race at the Ft. Things changed with surface they put up there last year.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:08 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nitro rookie
Where is the post for this rear roll center at. Now I curious too.
A few pages back Julius told me to try my rear roll center like this:

Lower - upper
Upper - inside middle

I don't know if Initial D runs his the same way.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:17 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Julius
What this with my age all of a sudden?
I did run Ft Meyers but that was with a 2WD 235 car back in the previous century..... (Talk about Old...)

You may want to look for Michael's setup from this years race at the Ft. Things changed with surface they put up there last year.
I doubt you are any older than I am. Although I didn't know they ever made 2wd 235mm cars. Do you drive with a stick radio?

Why don't you come over for the WinterNats this year. I could be your pitmonkey... or you could be mine

I will check MS's setup.

Thanks,
jag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.