R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-26-2004, 01:03 PM   #16321
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Another one for the FAQ

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
"keep babywipes handy ... that way your hands are clean and smells as if you've been visiting your buddy (Crashed) and helped him look after his baby instead of them looking dirty and smelling of nitro! "
Don't laugh ! I used to carry a pack around. But then, I found out that they do not cut grease good. I actually saw at the local Ace Hardware shop that they sold Gojo wipes. That would be handy to clean the car too.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 01:03 PM   #16322
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New parts online

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Onkel Sow ! Thanks for the tip. Never thought of taking out the spare tire for more space.
Another one for the "The Married Racer's Survival Guide"
Old 09-26-2004, 01:04 PM   #16323
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New parts online

Quote:
LOL, I forgot that you mentioned almost everything fits into your laptop bag. Err , is that the bag for that first ever Apple Portable?
Probably Actually it is a great laptop case, as it doubles as a suitcase for a small amount of clothes (one section for the laptop and one for the clothes!) - great for those one-day meetings
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 01:04 PM   #16324
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New parts online

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
10) Buy Wifey a car so she doesn't see all the hidden RC gear in you car!
Kinda defeats the purpose but then again, a peace of mind !
Old 09-26-2004, 01:05 PM   #16325
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Another one for the FAQ

Quote:
Don't laugh ! I used to carry a pack around. But then, I found out that they do not cut grease good. I actually saw at the local Ace Hardware shop that they sold Gojo wipes. That would be handy to clean the car too.
Gojo wipes? Hmmm ... need to look into that but it must'nt smell of perfume either.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:07 PM   #16326
Tech Elite

Default Re: Another one for the FAQ

Quote:
Here's another one for the FAQ :-

under "The Married Racer's Survival Guide" section;

"keep babywipes handy ... that way your hands are clean and smells as if you've been visiting your buddy (Crashed) and helped him look after his baby instead of them looking dirty and smelling of nitro! "

You're a sly old fox, Sow Gone are the days of Wifey been worried about finding lipstick on the collar - it's now Nitro and grease!
Old 09-26-2004, 01:07 PM   #16327
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Another one for the FAQ

Quote:
Gojo wipes? Hmmm ... need to look into that but it must'nt smell of perfume either.

Well Gojos are fruity orange smell if that's anything for you to keep the Wifey from being suspicious.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:08 PM   #16328
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Another one for the FAQ

Quote:
You're a sly old fox, Sow Gone are the days of Wifey been worried about finding lipstick on the collar - it's now Nitro and grease!
ROTF

A real pro I guess. Covering your tracks.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:09 PM   #16329
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New parts online

Quote:
Like I implied, Mark is not as young as he makes out to be. He used to own the Apple Portable (aptly nicknamed Apple Luggable) which was released errrr ... 20 years ago.
Well, I have been in the industry for more than 20 years!
Old 09-26-2004, 01:12 PM   #16330
Tech Elite

What's your impression of the new Serpent rims then, D?
Old 09-26-2004, 01:13 PM   #16331
Tech Prophet

I had a VERY unproductive weekend. For some reason, my engine would not want to start. Oh, one of those days when everything had to go wrong. Even the nut that locks the carb came out ! By sheer luck, it fell on my starter box. Phew !

And to top it all of, I had to lock my wifey out at the back garden as I was about to leave the house for the track. Poor wifey did not know and only after I had reached the track that she had to make a distress call to my neighbour to get me to come home and rescue wifey. Kinda appropriate to be talking about wifeys at the end of the weekend.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:19 PM   #16332
Tech Elite

Quote:
I had a VERY unproductive weekend. For some reason, my engine would not want to start. Oh, one of those days when everything had to go wrong. Even the nut that locks the carb came out ! By sheer luck, it fell on my starter box. Phew !

And to top it all of, I had to lock my wifey out at the back garden as I was about to leave the house for the track. Poor wifey did not know and only after I had reached the track that she had to make a distress call to my neighbour to get me to come home and rescue wifey. Kinda appropriate to be talking about wifeys at the end of the weekend.
Yow! Hmmm, car stuff sound like my experience last monday My car wouldn't start, then kept stalling as I tried to get out of the pit. Not matter of adjusting the mixture helped. Changed the plug then it was ok, but then the rear belt shredded . I changed the belt, then the engine wouldn't pull any more - sounded too rich, but them temp was up around 115C After the engine hit 150C I decided it was a bad idea to continue.
I took everything to bits at home and couldn't find any problems
Well, I've cleaned everything now and hopefully it will sort itself out

This weekend was very unproductive for me, too - GF birthday party and rain the whole time May still get out before flying to the UK to kicks Sows......
Old 09-26-2004, 01:19 PM   #16333
Tech Regular

Location: The Milkyway/Planet Earth/Europe/Sweden/Skåne/Malmö

I tried that trick with a return spring on the throttle linkage, it worked just fine for training, but the power drain is a bit higher so I wouldn't recommend it for a 45 min final..
New_Toasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 01:21 PM   #16334
Tech Prophet

Quote:
What's your impression of the new Serpent rims then, D?
About the new rims, I had a brief tryout on Saturday morning before I was plagued by the engine problem throughout the weekend. Did not true the tires and ran it out of the box at 65 mm !

Here are some of the things I noticed;

1. Mounting it on the 710 makes the trackwidth wider. Something like 3 to 4 mm wider (front and rear) than say using Speedmind tires. Perhaps that was what makes the car a little sluggish on top of the thick tires.

2. The plastic of the wheel is pretty rigid. Could stand very hard impact. Also important thing I noticed is the foam on the new Ellegis had a lot of meat ! The plastic rim was only about 48 mm in diameter which means 17 mm worth of foam. I think that's about the same as the Speedmind tires.

3. Tires wore down very good from the two tank I got out of it. Front and rear tires wore exactly the same ! I think the front tire compound (or perhaps the rear too) are a little different from the older Ellegis.

4. Traction was pretty grippy for 40 shore.

5. Colour of the wheel is LOUD.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:23 PM   #16335
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by New_Toasted
I tried that trick with a return spring on the throttle linkage, it worked just fine for training, but the power drain is a bit higher so I wouldn't recommend it for a 45 min final..
Ah yes, for racing I would take it out especially when using the 700 / 800 mAH AAA receiver packs.