Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 09:07 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by markp27
This time I rebuilt it with a 6mm clutch gap - as best as I could measure it and left, as Glenn recommended, 0.1mm endplay. To ensure I got 0.1, I added 0.1 spacers until there was no endplay and then removed the last added spacer.
Mark, I hope you did not confuse end play and clutch gap. The shims at the thrust bearing controls or determines the clutch gap. The shims in between the clutch nut and bearing determines the end play. Of course end play and clutch gap work hand in hand (i.e. adding 0.1 mm on clutch gap, you need to add 0.1 mm in the middle of the clutch to take out the additional end play).

Having said that, if you did like what you had described by adding 0.1 mm spacers until there's no end play and then remove the last added 0.1 mm spacer, then you're only setting the clutch to have 0.1 mm clutch gap !
Old 09-22-2004, 09:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

I am going to have to make some drive shafts for myself this week, and was wondering if I could get some imput.
If you could improve the drive shafts on the 710, what would you make better.
I am going to the Midwest series in Toledo next week and can get new one to me in time so this is my last resort. Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks,
Old 09-22-2004, 09:46 PM
Tech Prophet

Crashed, I could kiss you!!! well, not quite, Your idea works perfectly with the set screw on the hinge pins I didn't even have to turn it one quater of a turn and the front suspension "un-binded" Thanks!!!! Mark.
Ah... Uncle Crash can sometimes work magic.

Yeah, how not to when you open the car up to small bits and pieces EVERY week and clean almost ALL car parts with soap and lube all the bearings before every weekend run !
Old 09-22-2004, 09:47 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Voodo_Magic
If i try to go leaner at HSN it does not want to accelerate it just splutters away!
Splutter as in choking or splutter as in sounding rich?

How many full turns out on your HSN and LSN? Are you using the carb insert?
Old 09-22-2004, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Bxclip
i dunno exactly btu peopel told me serpent at first at messed up sh lata
Ehm, well some people like to talk out of the wrong end! My car came from the original batch and after almost six months of running, I've only replaced on lower rear suspension arm.
I wouldn't listen too much to those with highly oppinionated ideas
Old 09-22-2004, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Latest installments

Originally posted by InitialD
PD, nice pic ! But I think you need to ask Mark for a trial version of his dirt filter to clean what's on the carb of your engine. From the pics he's been posting, it looks like it works pretty well. I suspect the one he gave me was not working well (whether on purpose or not I don't know... ).
Old 09-22-2004, 10:21 PM
Tech Elite

Mark, I hope you did not confuse end play and clutch gap. The shims at the thrust bearing controls or determines the clutch gap. The shims in between the clutch nut and bearing determines the end play. Of course end play and clutch gap work hand in hand (i.e. adding 0.1 mm on clutch gap, you need to add 0.1 mm in the middle of the clutch to take out the additional end play).

Having said that, if you did like what you had described by adding 0.1 mm spacers until there's no end play and then remove the last added 0.1 mm spacer, then you're only setting the clutch to have 0.1 mm clutch gap !
No I didn' mix them up. Set my clutch gap by measuring the clutch bell movement (push-pull) and then determined from the measured gap how many shims I needed at the "gear" end thrust bearing. After which I placed some very small shims at the clutch end of the assembly until I couldn't see/feel any movement on the clutch bell when pushing/pulling - then I took off a 0.1mm shim and did the push-pull test again, to see if there was some end-play.

I think I had previously too little end-play and this is the reason why my metal shielded bearing kept blowing.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Ah... Uncle Crash can sometimes work magic.

Yeah, how not to when you open the car up to small bits and pieces EVERY week and clean almost ALL car parts with soap and lube all the bearings before every weekend run !
Hopefully it doesn't rain too often or else his car will disapear under soap bubbles
Old 09-22-2004, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Voodo_Magic
If i try to go leaner at HSN it does not want to accelerate it just splutters away!
It sounds like you are richening your HSN. Maybe take a pic of your engine area and show us which way you are turning the HSN screw.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:49 PM
Tech Prophet

this goes to show u that serpent does update the kit cause the first abtch was so messed up parts didnt fit.
Bxclip, don't get it wrong... The parts you listed are hop up parts / aluminum parts ! There is nothing wrong with the parts you get with the kit. What parts did not fit properly for you? They fit perfectly for me and for most of us. At least that was what I got.

i drive in aprkin lots msot o fthe time do u think im better of puttin the fornt shaft lock set on for good?
It is advisable to put the cover from the lock set over the holes when you're driving on a dusty track even if you're using oneway. But you're right... For smaller tracks with lower traction, you may be better off with the solid front instead of oneway.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:52 PM
Tech Prophet

yo now oen mroe quesiton got my servos in adn when i press brake the servo pulsl the lever towards the front of the car is that correct?
Yes, that is correct. You will know that it's working correct when the brakes engage.

cause if it is i got a problem my brakes work when the ever goes tot hte back of the car adn the lever gets push towards the back when i open full throttle . if i got it worng howdo i fix it?
Look at Step 9.7 on page 31, you could see that you need to use the M6 shim. I actually missed that one out. It makes the brake lever smoother so that it could swing back to neutral position when you disengage the brake.

Anyway, what I did on mine is to loosen the E11 screw a little. Not too tight that it binds.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:53 PM
Tech Prophet

Ehm, well some people like to talk out of the wrong end! My car came from the original batch and after almost six months of running, I've only replaced on lower rear suspension arm.
I wouldn't listen too much to those with highly oppinionated ideas
Yeah... And that rear shock tower is also not doing what it is suppose to do. Send it back to Serpent.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:57 PM
Tech Prophet

Hopefully it doesn't rain too often or else his car will disapear under soap bubbles

His car is so clean and smooth. Under the chassis of his 710, you could literally stick your tongue on it. It's so squeaky clean !
Old 09-22-2004, 11:01 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah... And that rear shock tower is also not doing what it is suppose to do. Send it back to Serpent.
Exactly! I'm going to take a hammer to it next
Old 09-22-2004, 11:02 PM
Tech Elite

His car is so clean and smooth. Under the chassis of his 710, you could literally stick your tongue on it. It's so squeaky clean !
D, you have some strange ideas I'm not putting my tongue anywhere near crashed's car

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.