R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-11-2003, 08:05 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Default Basic Car Tuning

Not so sure if this thread is a repeat thread but hope not. Most of car tuning issues was posted in individual car type even it is basic which apply to most of the 1/10 rc car so lets combine all the expert and experience tuning tip to this thread. All for one, one for all!!

this is the first basic link of tuning direct to me from AMGRacer almost a year ago.. Basic Car tuning
esham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 08:24 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Wink

And this is for the droop, ride height and tweak from Team Lossi website. Lossi XXX web
Old 09-11-2003, 08:38 PM   #3
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

right, there is proper explanation about droop (downtravel).
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 08:38 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Default Spring effect

Guys, what is exactly the shock spring effect to our cornering and handling? Heard that the spring get into effect more on brake and cornering !
Old 10-20-2003, 03:33 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Unhappy Traction Roll

Arr..guys, What exactly traction roll is? When we should consider this and how to achive the correct traction roll??
Old 10-20-2003, 03:51 AM   #6
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Traction Roll

Quote:
Originally posted by esham
Arr..guys, What exactly traction roll is? When we should consider this and how to achive the correct traction roll??
You won't want traction roll. That is to be avoided at all cost !

Traction roll is when you have too much traction that the car will flip while negotiating a corner. There are many causes of traction roll. Ride height is mostly the major cause.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 07:38 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Traction Roll

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
You won't want traction roll. That is to be avoided at all cost !

Traction roll is when you have too much traction that the car will flip while negotiating a corner. There are many causes of traction roll. Ride height is mostly the major cause.
OOOoooo yup yup too much traction which make the car tend to flip - rolling That's funny because my first tought was traction roll is how to make the car roll better - forward.

Question on condition
On the high speed cornering my car go smooth with quit big turn. But suddenly when I went into tight corner off power abit slower at the mid of cornering my car slip, tend to spin

Don't ask me the setup but what will be the area or tweak that I should look into? Thannnk you
Old 10-20-2003, 08:56 PM   #8
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Traction Roll

Quote:
On the high speed cornering my car go smooth with quit big turn. But suddenly when I went into tight corner off power abit slower at the mid of cornering my car slip, tend to spin

Don't ask me the setup but what will be the area or tweak that I should look into? Thannnk you
Perhaps there is too little droop in the rear. Play around with that.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 09:42 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to 2mcgrath Send a message via Yahoo to 2mcgrath

this is some pretty interesting stuff you guys have here
2mcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 09:44 PM   #10
Tech Master

Esham ... try this for starters http://www.donegal.flyer.co.uk/car%20setup%20guide.htm

Understand all that then take your car to the factory setting and slowly tweak one thing at a time and see the difference. What are you driving?
tIANcI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:47 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Re: Traction Roll

Quote:
OOOoooo yup yup too much traction which make the car tend to flip - rolling That's funny because my first tought was traction roll is how to make the car roll better - forward.

Question on condition

like what initialD said..you might have too little droop at the rear causing the weight to be transferred all to the front leaving the rear end floating and causing oversteering when throtle is released...try putting more droop at the rear or put stiffer springs at the front...if it still over steers try changing oil to a hevier weight to slow down weight transfer or arm travel...

everything is all about weight transfer from side to side, front to back corner to corner of the car...

one more thing, check for tweak...see xxx-s tweaking...
Los1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 12:18 AM   #12
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

There usually is a thread like this that pops up about once every couple of weeks. . .

First suggestion - get ahold of xxxmain's setup guide. Not only does it explain all aspects of a car's setup, it explains what to do with each thing for whatever is happening. (www.xxxmain.com)

For instance, if your car pushes going into a turn, it gives you, step by step, things to do to fix it. If your car is loose coming out of a turn, these are the things to do to fix it.

I'm not advertising it, and I have the version that was pre-XXXmain.

I just haven't found anything that even comes close.

Now - if you REALLY want some REALLY technical details on things like how ackerman works, how a Centax clutch works, things like that, see www.rctek.com - he hasn't done much with the site for a year, but there is still a lot of VERY technical detail.

Okay, if you're a physics whiz (which I'm not, but I work with some) there's a book that is pretty much the comprehensive work on the subject - "Race Car Vehicle Dynamics" - Milliken & Milliken. This thing has everything you want to know and a TON of stuff that you really have no idea what they're talking about.

But - just get the stupid xxxmain manual. . .it'll help. . .
Old 10-21-2003, 03:04 AM   #13
sup
Tech Addict

heres another helpful site: http://home.tiscali.be/be067749/58/
sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 03:21 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
There usually is a thread like this that pops up about once every couple of weeks. . .

First suggestion - get ahold of xxxmain's setup guide. Not only does it explain all aspects of a car's setup, it explains what to do with each thing for whatever is happening. (www.xxxmain.com)

For instance, if your car pushes going into a turn, it gives you, step by step, things to do to fix it. If your car is loose coming out of a turn, these are the things to do to fix it.

I'm not advertising it, and I have the version that was pre-XXXmain.

I just haven't found anything that even comes close.

Now - if you REALLY want some REALLY technical details on things like how ackerman works, how a Centax clutch works, things like that, see www.rctek.com - he hasn't done much with the site for a year, but there is still a lot of VERY technical detail.

Okay, if you're a physics whiz (which I'm not, but I work with some) there's a book that is pretty much the comprehensive work on the subject - "Race Car Vehicle Dynamics" - Milliken & Milliken. This thing has everything you want to know and a TON of stuff that you really have no idea what they're talking about.

But - just get the stupid xxxmain manual. . .it'll help. . .
Thanks Boomer, yes I do tried to get those xxxmain manual but I afraid they didn't supply direct to my country - malaysia. 2nd tried they refer me to their supplier here www.tpracing.com.my but yet they didn't order it cause they said xxmain inprogress updating the contents..emmm almost 3 month now ..no news.. Now.. i asked my friend from Durham to order it for me from their dealer at Chicago.. Hope success!
Old 10-21-2003, 03:58 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Thanks tIANcI, sup ... Actually I did go through the web and the article before. The basic understanding of tweak .. yes I take it. Believe me i do have alot of bookmark to all does tweak on the web. But when come to troubleshooting on the car condition that tough for me. ( Something that you see and feel during driving on the local track
Then I come across this guide...penguinrc The page already there quit sometime but hey..! the diagnosis and example solution method impress me!. So hopefull our dear forum friends Can share their diagnosis skill in this thread.