Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Kyosho FW-05R

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 06:06 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thats what the rear ring looks like out of the 05R I bought used a few months ago

note the weight savings on this gear in the lower left, the previous owner seemed to have removed a tooth from the gear via some miracle of driving hehe.

Needless to say this gear is not going back in.

Since I am pricing out the steels. it seems a Kawahara center conversion costs just a tad more than 2 kyosho steel gear sets.

The gear that was in this car is a 40 front and rear for the ring, It was perfectly setup for the course I drive on in the summer. I am a bit worried that the Kawahara conversion would be a bit too much high end on the FDR than what I want for this course.

Its either that or I am going to buy 2 39 or 40 tooth steel ring gear sets.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

I'd sugget get 2 39T steel ring gears. They really free up the drivetrain and will last almost forever.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally posted by Clegg

Thats what the rear ring looks like out of the 05R I bought used a few months ago

note the weight savings on this gear in the lower left, the previous owner seemed to have removed a tooth from the gear via some miracle of driving hehe.

Needless to say this gear is not going back in.

Since I am pricing out the steels. it seems a Kawahara center conversion costs just a tad more than 2 kyosho steel gear sets.

The gear that was in this car is a 40 front and rear for the ring, It was perfectly setup for the course I drive on in the summer. I am a bit worried that the Kawahara conversion would be a bit too much high end on the FDR than what I want for this course.

Its either that or I am going to buy 2 39 or 40 tooth steel ring gear sets.
thats pretty worn!

Last edited by Marcos.J; 01-31-2005 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:08 PM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by NiMo
There is more to consider than just the gear ratio.
The Kawahara runs much freer, and feels less overgeared than the 39T Kyosho rings.
Also an STS and a Rossi could not pull the Kawahara gearing, but the JP has so much torque it can still spin the wheels with a 21T 1st, and having such a long 1st gear makes running the infield much easier (check the videos on 3hobby.net)
I'm looking in to getting the grey clutch as this would hopefully give a smoother power take up making the car even easier to drive.
You also say anything more than 7 minutes is a cooked motor, well I've been doing 8/9 minutes since October and it's not cooked yet (and I'm running a Touring shell) so what am I doing wrong?
It's not necessarily wrong it's just that you can't make horsepower without burning fuel. Oh and you have a lack of air temperature in old blighty too.

Last edited by rjl; 02-01-2005 at 04:43 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by jeffreylin
I'd sugget get 2 39T steel ring gears. They really free up the drivetrain and will last almost forever.
Well amazingly 2 sets of them will be on their way to me tomorrow
Old 01-31-2005, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Well amazingly 2 sets of them will be on their way to me tomorrow
Dang that is a fast reacting driver!
Old 01-31-2005, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Mine both rear diff joint and rear center gear joint are worn. It not happen to the front diff joint cup and the front center gear cup. Probably too much torque / power to the rear for FW.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

the picture..
Attached Thumbnails Kyosho FW-05R-dsc04952.jpg  
Old 01-31-2005, 09:52 PM

I am guessing english isnt your native language?

From what I could make out from that (and your pic) is that the rear outdrives from the diff are wearing worse in the rear than the front.

its pretty common in nitro for that to happen due to the fact when you accelerate out of a corner, more weight is on the rear end, causing it to grip more, and less wheel spin. This makes the small bit of lash thats in the drive line there beat on the outdrives in power transitions more. The fronts spin much easier on power transitions and wear much less because of that. Theres also teh fact that the back of the car is covered in oil residue normally and this can cause dust and particles to stick to surfaces like the outdrives and help the dog bone pin wear on the outdrives easier.

You dont want to let too much wear build up, if you do, the lash in the drive line will build up and start to break dog bones, or teeth off gears (the sudden instant engagement caused by lots of lash is quite destructive)
Old 01-31-2005, 09:58 PM
Tech Prophet

You dont want to let too much wear build up, if you do, the lash in the drive line will build up and start to break dog bones, or teeth off gears (the sudden instant engagement caused by lots of lash is quite destructive)
Not only that... Handlng of the car will suck. The rear end of the car will "hop" and will bounce when accelerating out of the corners because the rear dogbones will bind and not move freely in lateral movement as a result of the dogbone pins getting trapped in the notches.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

I am guessing english isnt your native language?
No, no it's not.

Got your point - Clegg and D, thank you and i do plan to replace those "outdrive".
Old 02-01-2005, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

Clegg: the standard Diff Ring Gears are made from softer cast steel, the upgrade items are made from machined steel.
The pitch pattern is smoother on the machined gear so the don't have to be meshed so tightly.
The Kawahara set up has moved the inner bearing closer to the diff so the meshing can be looser still, giving even more performance.

This is the front Kawahara diff after a good 50+ hours of running, (the rear looks similar) as you can see, very little wear, if any at all.
Also note the extra black plastic ring, that holds the larger inner bearing closer to the diff.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Nimo did the gears sound funny the first time you put them on?I check and double check the mesh and the mesh is good,let me know,
thanks
Old 02-01-2005, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Marcos.J
Hey Nimo did the gears sound funny the first time you put them on?I check and double check the mesh and the mesh is good,let me know,
thanks
They do sound different, and you will notice it more if you brake heavy.
They sound like they don't mesh, but they don't half perform.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by NiMo
They do sound different, and you will notice it more if you brake heavy.
They sound like they don't mesh, but they don't half perform.
thanks alot !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.