Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm in the process of taking the steering system apart to see what I can do to fix the slop.

I will keep playing with the 2speed after work tomorrow. One thing is for sure, I love this centax clutch system. I was running those huge flywheels on my other car and after installing my engine in the R40 I was very impressed with how fast it is.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey hark you still got that MT-12. I'm tryin to get it from you. But first I've got to find out if I can put a STS P/S set in it. Then I can make a hybrid 5 port MT-12. If I can do this that thing will be a beast. Drop me a email or aim me kidld3 is my SN.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AMGRacer
As I have said numerous times, channel locks, and the HPI pinion tool. I have used this tool over 100 times with never a problem. I only have 2 clutchbells.
is this the one you were referring to?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGBT2&P=7
Old 05-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

Two HPI R40s for sale, one used for one gallon of fuel and the other brand new. Please PM me if anyone is interested. I wold like to sell both at the same time.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by onnetz
is this the one you were referring to?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGBT2&P=7
Yes, but be warned that it does not work properly without channel locks.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AMGRacer
Yes, but be warned that it does not work properly without channel locks.
ok.. thanks, I will give it a try.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by onnetz
ok.. thanks, I will give it a try.
Its a great little tool with channel locks. The plastic circle stops the locks bending and maring the clutchbell and the pinion vice gets them off pretty easy.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Hey NSX, sry man but I sold the MT12 yesterday. Too bad man it was only going for $40. Ex boss picked it up for his G4. He runs the R40 also, but lets see if he can get my MT12 tuned. If he can't then yeah, stilla newb with lots of $$ to pimp all his rides out faster than I can. He felt totally jealous of my 8th and claims I made him feel inferior. See the thing is, I AM superior to him in the hobby.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WeatherB
I'm in the process of taking the steering system apart to see what I can do to fix the slop.

I will keep playing with the 2speed after work tomorrow. One thing is for sure, I love this centax clutch system. I was running those huge flywheels on my other car and after installing my engine in the R40 I was very impressed with how fast it is.
Check out some of my previous posts I found 3 places to easily remove slop.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by WeatherB
Hey guy,
I ran the car today and have two questions:

1. Should I hear a distinctive shifting sound from the two-speed? I couldn't hear anything while I was running it.

2. The steering has a lot of slop in it and during acc and braking the car pulls to the right and left. Anyone have this problem?
Is this a new car? I really need to check out a brand new r40 soon. I want to see how they are thats for sure.

Some say zero slop, but then people like weatherB come along and make me wonder if the slop I had was something everyone would have and why do some people get odd turning and some dont....Hmmmm.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:22 AM
Tech Addict

That Art, I will check through the 250 pages for your tips.

My kit is brand new and I was shocked at the amount of slop in the steering, especially after having such high expectations from HPI after building my Pro 4.

So far I'm planning on replacing the bushings with bearings and I tightened those two screws going through the bearings more to remove some slop. It isn't 100% smooth but at least there is less slop. It seems as though the ball bearings are slightly too small for the holes in the purple piece.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Ok that leads me to believe I was right in thinking the r40 does have a good bit of slop new or old.

Yes get the bearings for the steering.

As for my post. You can just search my threads only, goto my profile. Youll see it or just use the search button. Enter my name, then use slop for the search. That should narrow it down.

But hopefully you have some thread seal tape in the house (for air tools, plumbing and what not).

Then a little plastic piece that can fit in between the bulkhead and the left post that does not have a bearing or bushing. It needs to be about 2mm thick.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:32 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks. I found the post and will follow your instructions once I get home.

Can't wait to get this thing fixed and going in a straight line.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thumbs up

SLOP! my car has a little slop, this was checked when I put the car together and it still has the same amount of slop... I use it almost every sunday at the track or parking lot and it hasn't affected me in anyway. If your car is new I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just make sure it is set to go straight and you'll have no problem. If it is used, then order the parts that you feel are worne and replace them with new ones, you'll still have some slop.

HARK
NSX
REG151

Check the clip of my R-40 hanging with the serpent 235mm IMPACTS...
Old 05-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Tech Addict

The car is new and I rather fix the problem before it gets worse... I've already got two solutions so hopefully will get the problem fixed once my bearings arrive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.