HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Well, my brand spanking R40 is all assembled minus engine and pipe. Im very impressed with that car as a whole and ive just a couple of questions.
I wanted to try out the car so i borrowed my traxxas trx 2.5 and had a few problems...

1. The crankshaft does not accept the centax clutch, i assume this is because it is a traxxas engine, so they have their own style of shaft (i think the pitch of the thread on the pilot shaft is different).

2. There isnt much room for the engine, let alone a starter (pullstart or rotostart) do i need to get a starter box, or will a pullstart fit?

Chris
Old 05-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by AMGRacer
What is your rear camber set to right now?
3 deg AMG
Old 05-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

From what I can tell a pull-start wont fit. And a roto-start would be far out of the question.

But maybe you can who knows. Second yeah you need a SG aka Pilot Shaft rear exhaust motor.

If you want to race , you need a 3 port and a roar legal pipe. But you can get away with cheaper exhaust systems.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am selling a new kit and will be selling my used kit here very soon. It takes forever to get parts so if anyone is interested in either the new, used, or doing a combo package, let me know.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Your right about the TRS. It has the IPS (Integrated pilot shaft). It's a lil bit shorter than an SG and the threads are different.

JAG, I adjust the clutch nut. It is very responsive to adjustments compared to my NEO TNT centax.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Performula- Thats the thing I hate; waiting for parts. Even for my LHS most of the aftermarket or some stock we need to order them.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Performula- Thats the thing I hate; waiting for parts. Even for my LHS most of the aftermarket or some stock we need to order them.
Yes.

When the car first came out that was the hype; parts availability. Which was correct in 2003 and the beginning to mid 2004, now? I have problems. I am in Atlanta for work and had to order parts...it has been 1.5 weeks since I ordered parts locally and I still haven't heard anything. I refuse to dip into my second kit.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Kinda the reason why I got the MRX4. The LHS ALWAYS have mugen parts. The only reason for them not to have it, is if it's not in stock. Time to take the failsafe and TRS spring off the bug and toss it onto the 8th. I'm being drawn to onroad even more.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

I always thought HPI had awesome parts support so I bought the Pro 4 and the R40.

Pro 4 parts were hard to find, but I thought it was because it's a new car. But at least everything went together really well during assembly.

The R40 is a different story... I get the kit and start assembling it only to find out that the one-way bearing is missing from the 2 speed hub. I called the hobby shop I bought it from and the guy said he doesn't have any in stock to give me. I call HPI and they said that a new one will be sent to me on Tuesday (they're closed Friday and Monday). I tried calling all my local hobby shops and no one has that part in stock (most only have the plastic suspension parts). I finally just placed a massive parts order with Tower Hobbies and requested UPS Express.

R40 questions:

1. Did anyone notice that the mid belt rubs against their manifold? I need to run the belt tensioner about 1/2 way down to make it clear. Is this normal or should I try grinding some of the manifold?

2. The tuned pipe mounting system seems very weak. Anyone have problems with it? If so, what is the best solution?

tnx
Old 05-28-2005, 09:11 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com

""""R40 questions:

1. Did anyone notice that the mid belt rubs against their manifold? I need to run the belt tensioner about 1/2 way down to make it clear. Is this normal or should I try grinding some of the manifold?

2. The tuned pipe mounting system seems very weak. Anyone have problems with it? If so, what is the best solution?""""""""

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1)my belts been hitting the manifold through 1 whole season,2 hpi challenges and 2 world finals......no problems...original belt.....

2)...ditto on the mounting sytem....and I've gotten t boned twice.....
Old 05-28-2005, 09:15 PM
Tech Addict

Perfect, thanks Harry.

Can't wait to run this tomorrow. I slapped on my Serpent one-way 2-speed adapter till the new one arrives (seems the same as the HPI one anyway, except not purple.)
Old 05-28-2005, 09:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by WeatherB
I always thought HPI had awesome parts support so I bought the Pro 4 and the R40.

Pro 4 parts were hard to find, but I thought it was because it's a new car. But at least everything went together really well during assembly.

The R40 is a different story... I get the kit and start assembling it only to find out that the one-way bearing is missing from the 2 speed hub. I called the hobby shop I bought it from and the guy said he doesn't have any in stock to give me. I call HPI and they said that a new one will be sent to me on Tuesday (they're closed Friday and Monday). I tried calling all my local hobby shops and no one has that part in stock (most only have the plastic suspension parts). I finally just placed a massive parts order with Tower Hobbies and requested UPS Express.

R40 questions:

2. The tuned pipe mounting system seems very weak. Anyone have problems with it? If so, what is the best solution?

tnx
#1 Yes but after going to the RD Logics pipe and manifold, it has more clearance so it is dependant on muffler/pipe selection to some extent.
#2 Agreed
Old 05-28-2005, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yeah the RDlogic turbo II fits like a glove on the R40. I had a dynamite pipe and it would have rubbed if I ran it unmoded. Some simple dremeling of the leftover flux where the pipe joins the flange.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:49 AM
Tech Elite

My THS pipe also has a great amount of clearance so the belt is no where near it. Never had a prob with the pipe mounting system.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:06 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Yeah the RDlogic turbo II fits like a glove on the R40. I had a dynamite pipe and it would have rubbed if I ran it unmoded. Some simple dremeling of the leftover flux where the pipe joins the flange.

not to change the subject...but I have to be honest.I tried the Rd logics TURBO II pipe....i wasn't overly impressed with its performance....and less impressed with its construction......(as fas as being able to withstand a side impact)...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.