Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 11:11 PM
Jye
Tech Regular

What are some upgrades you guys recommend first for this car? i noticed its way cheaper than a v one rrr or mtx3 so im guessing its not as upgraded.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fastharry
maybe next winter,I'll put a stock racer 2 together out of spare STOCK parts.....see how it runs....BTW,here's a picture of the cars....

Wow. I couldnt really tell from the pictures but looks like you got a few of them or something close to it.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:27 AM
Tech Elite

Hey guys so as in any defeat. This means one thing. CHANGE.

So Im going to completely redo my setup. So heres the questions:

1. Thad & Atsushi both had. 1.1 X 1 Shock pistons in front and .8 X 3 shock piston in the rear for 2003. Now Atsushi has 1.1 X 1 in the rear for 2004. Too bad they didnt show Thad's 2004 sheet and if he went along with this.

2. Im going to get the 4 gear mod and 30k grease is this what everyone else is doing with success?

3. Im going to get the mugen grey disc, what spring do I need?

4. Im going to get a race body. Whats a good one for the R40. Im guessing the latest HPI.

5. Hara & Thad for 2003 had 4.5 front ride height and 5 in the rear. 2004 hara goes to 3.3 front and 3.6 rear. Do you think this is just a track adjustment?

6. Same thing again. Both in 2003 had 2.5 camber all around. 2004 hara does negative 2 front and 3 rear. Track change or just overall setup improvement? Any input would be cool to hear.

7. On haras setup sheet he has a bunch of slashes for the spacers that go behind the pivot balls? Is he not running those or just not showing his setup?

Last edited by Artificial-I; 07-04-2005 at 04:23 AM.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
2. Im going to get the 4 gear mod and 30k grease is this what everyone else is doing with success?
whats this gear 4 mod? i noticed Hara used that setup at Ohio, is it that upgrade where you add 2 extra sun gears to the rear diff?

Cheers
Old 07-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Yup. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJLH6&P=ML
Old 07-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

1. Thad & Atsushi both had. 1.1 X 1 Shock pistons in front and .8 X 3 shock piston in the rear for 2003. Now Atsushi has 1.1 X 1 in the rear for 2004. Too bad they didnt show Thad's 2004 sheet and if he went along with this.

4. Im going to get a race body. Whats a good one for the R40. Im guessing the latest HPI.

5. Hara & Thad for 2003 had 4.5 front ride height and 5 in the rear. 2004 hara goes to 3.3 front and 3.6 rear. Do you think this is just a track adjustment?

6. Same thing again. Both in 2003 had 2.5 camber all around. 2004 hara does negative 2 front and 3 rear. Track change or just overall setup improvement? Any input would be cool to hear.

7. On haras setup sheet he has a bunch of slashes for the spacers that go behind the pivot balls? Is he not running those or just not showing his setup?
I will answer a few of your questions:

1 I can tell you that all the setup changes between 03 and 04 are based merely on track conditions. The Ohio track was much larger than Revelation with a ton more grip and it was around 40 degrees cooler. I was only a Atsushi’s mechanic for the 04 nats so I don’t have a setup sheet for that race, but if I did it would probably be very similar to Atsushi’s

2.Good idea.

3.Grey clutch disk? Springs: We always end up using HPI springs, R40 F/R gold – black – silver and proceed red rears.

4.You can’t go wrong with the Protoform Mazda 6. The HPI body is also very good on smaller tracks.

5.With higher traction you’ll want to lower you tire diameter and ride height.

6.same as 1

7.The slashes indicate that the spacers were not used. We used a HUDY set-up device and a good set of calipers for adjusting the track, camber, toe and all that good stuff.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Thad Garner
I will answer a few of your questions:

1 I can tell you that all the setup changes between 03 and 04 are based merely on track conditions. The Ohio track was much larger than Revelation with a ton more grip and it was around 40 degrees cooler. I was only a Atsushi’s mechanic for the 04 nats so I don’t have a setup sheet for that race, but if I did it would probably be very similar to Atsushi’s

2.Good idea.

3.Grey clutch disk? Springs: We always end up using HPI springs, R40 F/R gold – black – silver and proceed red rears.

4.You can’t go wrong with the Protoform Mazda 6. The HPI body is also very good on smaller tracks.

5.With higher traction you’ll want to lower you tire diameter and ride height.

6.same as 1

7.The slashes indicate that the spacers were not used. We used a HUDY set-up device and a good set of calipers for adjusting the track, camber, toe and all that good stuff.
Speak of the devil himself. I was just talking about you to my gf 5 minutes ago. Even though she looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. I was talking about how I just found out 2 days ago you were at the HPI challenge in Orlando.

I was also telling my gf. If I would have known it was you I would have been hounding you all day. LOL. So I guess it was a good thing. I probably would have had you autograph my r40 or something.

So basically your 2003-2004 setups are as good as it gets. Being the traction and temp are the only reason for the differences. Cool

I feel like I have been blessed with holy info. Thank you a ton Thad. Hope you guys come back to Orlando again.

Since your here not sure if you heard anything news about the release date of the HARA version R40 over here. Kent told me it was going to be one month after the pro4 which came out a few weeks ago. What are your thought of it VS the standard. I saw the battery and chassis are quite a bit different now.

Also given you had a look at our track surface. What would you rate that and the use of vht. Allthough this time they didnt seem to use as much so it threw me off. Also would you be able to give any pointers or adjustments in the settings given what you saw for the track conditions.

Also, any tips or new setups you have overall would be awesome. Im guessing now though you guys are probably just focusing on the new chassis.

-- But seriously thanks for answering the setup Q's. Ill probably remember this forever that Thad Himself helped me out with my setup.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Artificial do you live in Orlando and did i see that you want to run at Lakeland
Old 07-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

I forgot is there a track in lakeland? Yeah I live in Orlando. Actually like 20minutes or so from SuperiorHobbies. Yeah I want to run anywhere. I really dont know where to go. I go all pumped to find a track one day and only got some weirded out guy who was wondering how I got his cell phone number. LOL.

I wish Orlando had a nice on-road track.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Racing starts in Aug http://testfly.0catch.com/sunshine%20bandits/srcar.html
Old 07-04-2005, 07:21 PM
Tech Addict

Superior didn't use VHT this past weekend, they used grape soda. Grip was way lower than when they used VHT. It didn't seem to effect the electric cars running rubber tires as much as the nitro cars running foam.

Lakeland is a fun place to run. Very much a high speed track with good grip and little tire wear. Bring alot of motor, its nothing like running on the parking lots.

PNP Hobbies in Palm Bay is in the process of building a permanent track. If it turns out half as good as what Pete has planned it will be phenominal.

Dave
Old 07-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I tried the mugen HD spring,and kept going through thrust bearings..I'd try the mugen disc and the stock clutch spring..also,the new proto stratus body si getting some good reviews also....I'm waiting on the CVEC pipe....and I'm gonna give the proto strat a try....
Old 07-05-2005, 05:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As dave just said, Superior didn't use VHT this weekend. That didn't effect my car that much, but I did blow my chance at a repeat point series victory. My new X12 engine wasn't broke in all the way, and was causing me problems.

First qualifier, it was running at 160 degree. No power out of the hole. Second qualifier, not enough run time. That put me in the B-main. They do have bump up, so I knew I needed to be on fire to get it. Well, first turn, the car stalled, and when they tried to get me started, the glow driver died (I have 2 that I take to the line with me) but by the time my pit guy got the 2nd igniter, I was 4 laps down.

I did make a lap up, and I was a second a lap quicker once on the track, than the guy who won, but I didn't have enough time to catch him.

I've been so busy, I didn't get a chance to drive the car with the new engine. My fault. I still had a good time, and that's what counts. Any time I can get on the track, is a good time.

I will be prepping the R40 to run at the next event, and will decide which car to go with from there.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dave
Superior didn't use VHT this past weekend, they used grape soda. Grip was way lower than when they used VHT. It didn't seem to effect the electric cars running rubber tires as much as the nitro cars running foam.

Lakeland is a fun place to run. Very much a high speed track with good grip and little tire wear. Bring alot of motor, its nothing like running on the parking lots.

PNP Hobbies in Palm Bay is in the process of building a permanent track. If it turns out half as good as what Pete has planned it will be phenominal.

Dave
No wonder my rear was getting a little loose. I noticed the grape soda bottle I thought they used it on top of VHT. I kept thinking man they need to reapply or something.

Now it all makes sense. I didnt touch the car really from my last race and it was hooking up and turning in almost perfect last race.

I guess Ill have to ask what they use next time. I finally hauled home after the qualifiers and grabbed my wintergreen alcohol and applied it to the tires , cleaned the car and hauled back with time to spare before my A-main.

Which BTW Dave was my pit guy. Dave did an excellent job. I was even able to jump from 2nd to 1st place with his help at the launch of the race. Sadly afterwards a couple of turns and a couple of incidents with some bad drivers that felt like using me for a guard rail I think I finished in 5th or worse.

Gotta love when you notice as soon as you pass a slower guy he likes to full throttle it even though he cant make the turn at that speed.

All in all still had fun.

Thanks Dave!

Last edited by Artificial-I; 07-05-2005 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thad Garner
I4.You can’t go wrong with the Protoform Mazda 6. The HPI body is also very good on smaller tracks.
Thad - What HPI body are you referring too?? Have you tried running the Toureza body under race conditions??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.