2008 MOTONICA Grand Prix Las Vegas Silver Bowl Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
Sorry to read that.
Ditto that.

Your race Rich. Thanks for ending the debate.

The observation about improved performance with foams is wrong however... that is why they are pushing for it. Foams weren't run in the main, but, significantly improved Dave's performance. Problem is... Garen can run foams too.

Dam.n.

Last edited by Zootcapri; 01-29-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

Default IGT Rules

NOW you have to know that there is no way to make everyone happy with rules. We hope that this will make it easy for everyone to enjoy this class and have some no pressure fun. I am sure that by next race ROAR will have there say in the rules for this class and then it will be out of our hands. We want this to be a fun class for everyone from the racers to the bystanders that line the fense and grandstands when these cars run. Now I will only say this once if you are going to run this class get signed up so we can order trophies for you. I will give the First entry that I receive a gallon of Byron's of there choice.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

OK, figured out the cause of the rediculous push at the January race for my IGT. See picture. Notice massive amounts of metallic dust/shavings in the housing Heli gear is worn down such that it still meshes a little with the diff but with a little force I can rotate the front wheels independent of the rear wheels and hear clicking. Basically means that under much power at all, the front had no power.

I'm assuming this caused the night and day difference I felt between the last time I ran the car last season and this race. Because I was on a track I had never run on, I did everything I could do adjust setup but still found no steering. This was the culprit I believe.

The car been pretty reliable / long-last so I think I made a mistake at some point in my build that caused the problem, no blame on Kyosho.

I'm still happy to be able to run some foams because Dave reported a lot more traction. More traction = more fun for me... I've already ordered the $35 set off ebay.
Attached Thumbnails 2008 MOTONICA Grand Prix Las Vegas Silver Bowl Raceway-blown-heli-gear.jpg  
Old 01-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Tech Adept

Ouch. Make sure when you put it back to gether to check the mesh between the pinion and the ring gear. If need be, put a small shim/washer on the ring gear side to move it ever so closer to the pinion to get a better mesh. Also, if you're running a 2-speed with a locked center, it will put more pressure on the front and rear ring/pinion gears so you might check these from time to time.

Rich, glad to hear about the class being set up the way it is. I also think it helps keep the cost down. If some guys have foam already, they don't need to buy rubber tires and vice versa. Personally, I don't think there are any advantages/disadvantages to the foam tires. I can really only go by what I ran at that race and that was rubber tires. The car handled beautifully. The problem was the nut behind the wheel. I'm sure if I ran foam, however, I would have to change the set up of the car to get the same response.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=Rich, glad to hear about the class being set up the way it is. I also think it helps keep the cost down. If some guys have foam already, they don't need to buy rubber tires and vice versa. Personally, I don't think there are any advantages/disadvantages to the foam tires. I can really only go by what I ran at that race and that was rubber tires. The car handled beautifully. The problem was the nut behind the wheel. I'm sure if I ran foam, however, I would have to change the set up of the car to get the same response.[/QUOTE]

Craig you car was very impressive and i liked watching it run, probably why i told you i wanted you to build me one I think we have made things simple enough to make this very easy to get into for the first time racer. I have to say alot of good things came out of the 2008 Airtronics race.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zootcapri
Ditto that.

Your race Rich. Thanks for ending the debate.

The observation about improved performance with foams is wrong however... that is why they are pushing for it. Foams weren't run in the main, but, significantly improved Dave's performance. Problem is... Garen can run foams too.

Dam.n.
Don't worry, Garen is not planning on running this class at the April race; need to concentrate on 1/8th.

Did I just type in 3rd person?
Old 01-30-2008, 05:56 AM
Tech Regular

Sure Garen - Show us how well an IGT *can* run and then drop out when we get all the more stoked!

OK, who's gonna convince Scott to run? I think he'll run a mean lap.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Tech Master

Well, you have my complete setup, and as you found out, proper build and maintenance is a big part of getting the car to work right, and the best part is it costs nothing to make sure your car is mechanically sound. I'll still help everyone with setup.
As for Scott, he needs to get a car first!
Old 01-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Arboleda
I've already ordered the $35 set off ebay.
I can't find that ebay offer... help
Old 01-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

I think these are the ones Dave had but I'm not sure. I bought a set of these a few days ago. Dave?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-Foam-Dirt-Ov...QQcmdZViewItem

They mention being branded as "Team Infinity" and being a yellow compound which they describe as a harder, less wear compound.

A week or two ago I found a larger selection of Ofna foam tires available in a few shores. I'll see if I can find those again tonight.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Garen, you should let Scott run your IGT at this race.
Then he'll be hooked on some red-neck racin. haha

Also, that link Matt gave.... only says 2 left available, but if you go to his other items, he has like 60 more.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Haha
Old 01-31-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

Gus and I are both signed up for 1/10th nitro and IGT. We're excited to come back and anticipate more Utah entrants. Last time we brought 5, I think we'll get around 5 this time as well. The January race was fuuuuuuuuun.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Arboleda
Gus and I are both signed up for 1/10th nitro and IGT. We're excited to come back and anticipate more Utah entrants. Last time we brought 5, I think we'll get around 5 this time as well. The January race was fuuuuuuuuun.
Bring'em all!! Glad to see you guys had enough to make you come back again. I am going to run 1/10th again also.

Yes, Garen I will be using a new exhaust gasket.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

http://www.myhobbydepot.com/servlet/...12-High/Detail this will save you $150 in blown engine parts, and save me the trouble of running all over the track and pit lane to get your car re-fired.

Hope to see more and more people at the race, in all classes. It's going to be a good, fun race, as good if not better than the last one. Get the word out, the more the merrier. Good to see new people getting into racing, hope to see old faces as well.

For the top qualifying unsponsored guys (in 1/8th and maybe 1/10th), we plan on having a special event on Saturday, after quals are over. Instead of having a single 20 minute race, we might try something different. Our idea is to pair up drivers in short, heads up, shoot out races, with the winner moving on to the next round. Each round will cut the field in half and increase the length of the race until we have the final 2 drivers battling for the win, prize, and bragging rights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.